TedderVision
Shiggy

Pre-Reset Pass The Time Thread

Just now, Robert Blutarsky said:

I want to formally apologize to @Kyle Fitzgerald and @Shiggy for the way I behaved last round.  I don't apologize for making a third party because I think it was fun (at least for those involved) but I do want to apologize for the way I left the party and for any hard feelings.  To answer any questions, no I still don't intend to play next round but that has nothing to do with the player base and everything to do with how Tedder is choosing to run this game and we've had discussions about this.  When the time comes Tedder is ready to fully commit to running this site as a Gov Sim and he hires a team of dedicated Admins I would be happy to either be one of the Admins or a player.  Either way my involvement going forward is entirely based on whether or not Tedder chooses to take his Govsim seriously.

Thank you @Robert Blutarsky. I also apologize for taking the IC gameplay/role playing personally. I should have lightened up and not taken it so personally. The last thing I want is a long lasting grudge/feud between players and I am happy to bury the hatchet. I carry no grudge against you or JSG and I hoe to move on. 

• Like 1

There's a lot more detail involved, so I welcome any questions and clarifications. But here's the TL;DR version:

It's all about the money. The Hunter Corporation was a shadow company (one of many, but we didn't get into any of the others yet) for Zbigniew Kowalczyk, a Polish billionaire. Kowalczyk was the puppeteer, and saw himself as literally trying to take over the world. He had built a global organization that had infiltrated the US government heavily. Jeremy Rodriguez (CIA mole working with @Kyle Fitzgerald), Allison Slay (FBI mole), and Matthew Matusevitch (the Venezuelan ambassador's assassin) were all members of Kowalczyk's secret organization. There were many more, but these were the only ones introduced to the players so far. 

One of their schemes was to convince the United States government to sell arms to Venezuelan rebels opposing President Maduro. This included the factions within the Venezuelan military that orchestrated the coup. The United States did not necessarily order the coup, but they certainly (unknowingly in most people's case) helped it. Kowalczyk did not care at all about who was actually leading the Venezuela, he just wanted the arms sales. So of course when civil war breaks out, his organization is more than happy to sell to both sides. If there is any common thread to the organization's actions, it's that Kowalczyk thrives in chaos. More accurately, he makes a lot of money and gains a lot of power. And there was a lot more chaos to come.

These arms sales, if made public, would be embarrassing for the Bayer administration (who, for the record, was convinced to go along with the plot but was not actively working with Kowalczyk's organization and had no knowledge of it). More importantly, it's discovery could be a thread that unravels Kowalczyk's entire plot. So when the Venezuelan ambassador to the United Nations Aram Acevedo gets suspicious he needed to be eliminated. Of course, this eventually resulted in the need to also eliminate Anita Sanchez (Acevedo's mistress) and Richard Davidson (the private PI hired by @Robert Blutarsky). 

You can all have my Brexit rant another time, but to stay topical this week the Government realised something I've been saying for the last 18 months to anyone who'll listen...

(The picture is not my work, but sums up the issue perfectly)

border%20paradox.jpg

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

You can all have my Brexit rant another time, but to stay topical this week the Government realised something I've been saying for the last 18 months to anyone who'll listen...

(The picture is not my work, but sums up the issue perfectly)

border%20paradox.jpg

wait.....so would you want no border between A and D the same as  between A-B/B-C?

Of would you also want a hard border between B and C since one is EU and the other is brexit Britain?

The UK Government has decided to leave the European Customs Union as well as leaving the EU, even though its possible to be a member of the former while not being a member of the latter. This means that between the European mainland and the UK there will need to be customs checks of goods crossing the border, but...

• The border can't be between A and B, as this would separate Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK, and this is unacceptable to people like the Government's allies in the Democratic Unionist Party
  • The border can't be between B and C, as the separation of communities in this way was the source of much of the trouble in Northern Ireland in previous decades, which no-one wants to re-ignite
  • The border can't be between C and D, as the Republic of Ireland (C) is a separate country and the UK can't tell it what to do. Polls show that people in the ROI have no interest in leaving the EU, and it couldn't happen under their constitution without a referendum

My preferred option would be to stay in the Customs Union, known as a Soft Brexit, resolving the issue altogether (Actually my preferred option is not to Brexit at all, but I've been outvoted on that). However, some people, including the Government, say that a Soft Brexit isn't a proper Brexit. If we have to leave the Customs Union, it seems to me that putting the border between A and B is the least worst place. The Government tried proposing that solution this week, but were slapped down by the DUP. The Government can't afford to upset the DUP if they want to stay in power, so it looks like that option's dead...

Like I said, buggering up.

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

The UK Government has decided to leave the European Customs Union as well as leaving the EU, even though its possible to be a member of the former while not being a member of the latter. This means that between the European mainland and the UK there will need to be customs checks of goods crossing the border, but...

• The border can't be between A and B, as this would separate Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK, and this is unacceptable to people like the Government's allies in the Democratic Unionist Party
  • The border can't be between B and C, as the separation of communities in this way was the source of much of the trouble in Northern Ireland in previous decades, which no-one wants to re-ignite
  • The border can't be between C and D, as the Republic of Ireland (C) is a separate country and the UK can't tell it what to do. Polls show that people in the ROI have no interest in leaving the EU, and it couldn't happen under their constitution without a referendum

My preferred option would be to stay in the Customs Union, known as a Soft Brexit, resolving the issue altogether (Actually my preferred option is not to Brexit at all, but I've been outvoted on that). However, some people, including the Government, say that a Soft Brexit isn't a proper Brexit. If we have to leave the Customs Union, it seems to me that putting the border between A and B is the least worst place. The Government tried proposing that solution this week, but were slapped down by the DUP. The Government can't afford to upset the DUP if they want to stay in power, so it looks like that option's dead...

Like I said, buggering up.

Except B is part of the same country as A so that makes little sense. 

I realize that it makes more sense in the context of the history between N Ireland and the Rep of Ireland and not having a hard border there again.........but then again, it still would make no sense to put a hard border between 2 parts of the same country. It would be like putting up a massive wall around Texas instead of putting a wall on the border with mexico. 

And I realize that some fear it would re-escalate tensions in Ireland after years of trying to de-escalate, but logically those are the borders between a non-EU country and 2 EU countries. 

Should have stayed in the EU. :P

My guess is May will step down after the UK ends up getting the short end of the stick when the deadline passes in 2019.

Edited by Jonathan

I love you all. 

I don't want to sound too confident, but unless a large amount of  people suddenly surge on to vote no, I think Clauson and I are as good as confirmed

• Like 1

Looks good that you're starting to listen to others but you still need an Elections Admin, International Admin and Domestic Admin (and possibly a Congressional Admin to handle House/Senate) then I could see probably giving round 2 a run for my money @Bruce :D

1 minute ago, Robert Blutarsky said:

Looks good that you're starting to listen to others but you still need an Elections Admin, International Admin and Domestic Admin (and possibly a Congressional Admin to handle House/Senate) then I could see probably giving round 2 a run for my money @Bruce :D

Yes yes and yes.....but we have to take it slowly. If we hired all of those, there would not be any players left. Even the 2 new media admins (Clauson and I) are still droning a player in order to keep activity from dropping. Once we get more players, then we can start hiring more admins without taking away completely from the player base. 

Start recruiting more players.

I did with maybe the exception of Tedder himself I recruited the most players last round.. many left or failed to properly join all the way due to their not being an admin structure in place.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.