TedderVision
Bruce

Net Neutrality

I think that unless it is a monopoly (in which I agree with anti-trust monopoly-busting) that the government should let the free market run its course. 

2 hours ago, Shiggy said:

I think that unless it is a monopoly (in which I agree with anti-trust monopoly-busting) that the government should let the free market run its course. 

In all industries, period? How about your heating bill? Healthcare? Law enforcement? 

Just playing devil's advocate. 

12 minutes ago, Bruce said:

In all industries, period? How about your heating bill? Healthcare? Law enforcement? 

Just playing devil's advocate. 

I was speaking more specifically about internet.....but point taken

4 hours ago, David Parker said:

Well, you won't die without Web access. They have these things made out of cardboard with sheets of paper in them on the big long metal things off to the side at the public library where the computer kiosks and wi-fi café are. They're called "books" and that's how people broadened themselves before there was an Internet.

A first class airline ticket costs more than a Business class or Coach ticket. Should the government force airlines to charge the same for all seats?

THIS

Exactly. There are already anti trust (anti monopoly) laws in place so they cannot claim it is because we don't regulate monopolies (which is a false argument that I often hear for net-neutrality. The market will produce the lowest prices. I believe the government has no place in interfering with the free market. 

anti-trust, anti-monopoly laws may exist but when's the last time congress really dusted off the laws and brought up a company for unfair business practices or monopolizing a market and actually broke up a business?

25 minutes ago, Robert Blutarsky said:

anti-trust, anti-monopoly laws may exist but when's the last time congress really dusted off the laws and brought up a company for unfair business practices or monopolizing a market and actually broke up a business?

Ok.....so if there is a monopoly in an area, I agree that congress/the DOJ should do something about it......but you cannot use failure to enforce anti-trust laws as an excuse to further regulate what already is illegal. 

That is like saying "We should pass more gun laws" in order to stop the people who are already breaking the law from not breaking the law for which they already have no regard and no intention of following. 

It does not follow.........Non Sequitur Est. 

Edited by Shiggy

Like my gun example.......the only people further regulation will effect, are the businesses who already follow the law, not the ones who are already breaking the law and have no intention of following it regardless of what additional legislation is passed. 

It does not follow.........Non Sequitur Est. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.