TedderVision
Macmillan

National Right to Work Law

To preserve and protect the free choice of individual employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, or to refrain from such activities.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Mr. Macmillan of Virginia (for himself and others, with thanks to Mr. King) introduces the following bill

A Bill

To preserve and protect the free choice of individual employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, or to refrain from such activities.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “National Right-to-Work Act”.

SEC. 2. AMENDMENTS TO THE NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS ACT.

(a) Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act (the “Act”) (29 U.S.C. 157) is amended by striking “except to” and all that follows through “authorized in section 8(a)(3)”.

(b) Section 8(a) of the Act (29 U.S.C. 158(a)) is amended by striking “: Provided, That” and all that follows through “retaining membership” in paragraph (3).

(c) Section 8(b) of the Act (29 U.S.C. 158(b)) is amended by striking “or to discriminate” and all that follows through “retaining membership” in paragraph (2) and by striking “covered by an agreement authorized under subsection (a)(3) of this section” in paragraph (5).

(d) Section 8(f) of the Act (29 U.S.C. 158(f)) is amended by striking clause (2) and by redesignating clauses (3) and (4) as (2) and (3), respectively.

SEC. 3. AMENDMENT TO THE RAILWAY LABOR ACT.

Section 2 of the Railway Labor Act (45 U.S.C. 152) is amended by striking paragraph Eleventh.

PES: This bill amends the National Labor Relations Act and the Railway Labor Act to repeal those provisions that permit employers or labor organizations, pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement that is a union security agreement, to require employees to join a union as a condition of employment (including provisions permitting railroad carriers to require, pursuant to such an agreement, payroll deduction of union dues or fees as a condition of employment).

1 hour ago, Macmillan said:

PES: This bill amends the National Labor Relations Act and the Railway Labor Act to repeal those provisions that permit employers or labor organizations, pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement that is a union security agreement, to require employees to join a union as a condition of employment (including provisions permitting railroad carriers to require, pursuant to such an agreement, payroll deduction of union dues or fees as a condition of employment).

PLAYER NAME
Republicans Democrats
NAT EV BUS MR ML SJW PRO EN
Change +3 +2 +10 +1 +1 -10 -3 -3

Mr. Speaker,

I offer the following amendment:

Section X. Enactment 

1) This bill shall be enacted and shall sunset on the same day. 

I yield

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Mr. Speaker,

Section X. Enactment 

I yield

Second

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Mr. Speaker,

Section X. Enactment 

I yield

Point of order Mr.Speaker,

This amendment is clearly Germain I yield.

7 minutes ago, Batman said:

Point of order Mr.Speaker,

This amendment is clearly Germain I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

the motion in question is relevant to the proposed bill and is on subject. It deals with the effective time of the bill. I yield 

Mr. Speaker,

I rise with the following amendment:

SEC. 4. ENACTMENT

This bill shall take effect on January 1st, 3019.

Edited by Jonathan

Mr.Speaker,

Will the Democrats continue putting up Germain amendments and continue to lose seats in the general election as a result or do they wish to put aside their pettiness and actually debate this bill?

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

I rescind my second proposed amendment.

I move to strike part a of Section 2.

I move to strike part b of Section 2.

I move to strike part c of Section 2.

I move to strike part d of Section 2.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

I thank the gentleman from Rhode Island for agreeing that these amendments are quite germain and related to the topic being discussed or considered.

I yield.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Batman said:

Mr.Speaker,

Will the Democrats continue putting up Germain amendments and continue to lose seats in the general election as a result or do they wish to put aside their pettiness and actually debate this bill?

I yield.

Excuse me non Germaine

Just now, Batman said:

Excuse me non Germaine

Mr. Speaker, can the gentleman price the amendments irrelevant to the bill in question?

I yield 

Edited by Jsawrie

28 minutes ago, Phillip Huffines said:

Mr. Speaker,

could those in opposition to the bill present why the oppose the bill I am genuinely interested.

I yield

Mr. Speaker,

Closed shop employment, where employers only hire union members, is already banned under Taft-Hartley. This bill would allow workers to receive the benefits the union has fought to give them without ever having to pay union fees. I thought the majority hated so-called "freeloaders."

"Right to work" is a misnomer and is nothing more than a ploy by big business to destroy organized labor.

I yield.

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Mr. Speaker,

Section X. Enactment 

I yield

Amendment rejected as non-germane 

8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Mr. Speaker,

I rise with the following amendment:

Amendment rejected as non-germane

I'll save some time and decree that all the amendments have been rejected as non-germane

I would like to remind the Members of this House that wrecking amendments are out of order, I would urge everyone to engage constructively with this bill rather than introducing amendments to see it introduced in a millennium's time or to see it close the next day etc.

*Hands off of the Gavel*

Mr Speaker,

I rise to address this bill and the right of the worker to not be affiliated with a union should they not wish to be so. At present our laws allow for a union shop arrangement to be made via collective bargaining arrangement, what this means is that workers are obliged to join a union as a condition of employment. Simply put Mr Speaker why should we obligate an individual to join a union as a condition of employment? Unions are inherently partisan institutions who take the money raised by their fees and use it for political ends as well as for the supposed good of their members. I am not against union membership, I actively support a healthy set of trades unions as a counterbalance to big business pushing the little guy or gal around, but I am equally against the idea that one can be fired for leaving a union. It is imperative that we in this country do not replace excessive business power with excessive union power, giving unions the power to essentially fire someone by expelling them is excessive union power, that is why I have proposed this bill and that is why it is essential that we pass it here today.

I yield.

*Hands back on the Gavel*