TedderVision

1 hour ago, Phillip Huffines said:

Mr. Speaker,

I am trying to suppress the vote; the vote of fraudulent votes to ensure electoral integrity and safeguard voter confidence. Wanting only American citizens' votes to count in our elections is nativist now apparently. The Supreme court has ruled on the matter and has ruled against the arguments being presented. The vast majority of Americans want this. Even among minorities that I am supposedly suppressing. Mr. Ward's refusal to address the voter's desires is exactly why his pleas for Democratic control of the house fell on deaf ears in the midterms. You need to listen to the people instead of just calling people you don't agree with names to have success in politics.

I yield

Mr. Speaker,

I’m so excited that he mentioned the Supreme Court because he has another anti-abortion bill the Supreme Court has also ruled on, I can’t wait for his philosophical summersaults.  

But as I’ve already said, I’m all for protecting our elections and making sure that citizens are the ones voting. But I’m not going to stand here and pretend that stripping people of their most basic American right is good, right, or moral. The goal of this bill is to swing elections to Republicans. Plan and simple. I’m asking to the Congressman to be a little creative and find a solution that doesn’t strip away the voting rights for a problem that hardly exists (http://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/debunking-voter-fraud-myth)

If he can’t, then he’s proven this is all just another Republican ploy to strip away voting rights. 

I yield

Edited by Jsawrie

Untitled.png.608dfe5dff7928293e16ec5d7b249e47.pngRaheem Ramsey:

Mr. Speaker, The allegation that "millions of illegals are voting" or our elections are unsafe baffle me.  There is no substantial proof that a high volume of voter fraud is occurring.  Could there be some minor cases or attempts?  Yes, but this issue is not relevant. Voter ID laws are a waste of taxpayer dollars and a waste of time.  States incur immense costs when implementing voter ID laws.  This involves the cost of educating the public, training poll workers, and providing IDs to voters. 

Texas spent nearly $2 million on voter education and outreach efforts following passage of its Voter ID law.11

Indiana spent over $10 million to produce free ID cards between 2007 and 2010.

As the representative from Colorado mentioned, minorities are the victim the most.  It is a shame people wish to silence the minority to keep a majority.  Perhaps we should be spending this time to clean up flint's water, address police brutality, or make some common sense gun control so we can stop seeing mass shootings happen every couple of months..  Who could imagine an America that helps minority communities instead of trying to constantly silence them.  I guess that is it.  Only in our imaginations.

I yield.

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker

Why must we consider revoking to constitutional right to vote because of some fearmongering? Why are we getting rid of the vote for millions of people just to stop 50 from voting illegally? It would be the same as if we decided to kill all cows in America because 1 person got food poisoning. My point is that we should not restrict the minority vote because it is an overreaction to a non-existent problem. 

I yield. 

• Like 1