Jump to content
TedderVision
Jsawrie

Ward Townhall in Cedar Rapids

Recommended Posts

-local reporter-

 

What is your respones to the Hayton clash over Global warming/climate change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CJL said:

-local reporter-

 

What is your respones to the Hayton clash over Global warming/climate change?

Climate change is an ever present problem. We should be encouraging the American public to go green and incentivize companies who build energy efficient facilities. I also support the Paris Accords and think working with our allies to address climate change is one of the major ways we maintain our presence as the Global Leader. There’s ways other than being militarily strong to lead. 

As far as Hayton goes, I don’t comment on irrelevant candidates. He’s dug his own grave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've seen conflicts arise recently between equal access to services and religious freedom, such as the gay wedding cake controversy. How do you balance these issues and are you in support of religious and artistic freedom?

Edited by Pizzuto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pizzuto said:

We've seen conflicts arise recently between equal access to services and religious freedom, such as the gay wedding cake controversy. How do you balance these issues and are you in support of religious and artistic freedom?

The right to freedom of religion and artistic expression is a fundamental right since our Constitution was signed. The Government and all government employees must comply with the Obergfell ruling. That is our role, as St. Paul writes “leaders under God”, to carry out the laws. As far as private companies and citizens, no they shouldn’t be forced to comply. This is one of those areas where the free market helps us decide these things. If you turn down business; that’s your decision. If you lose a ton of business because of it, that’s your decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phillip Huffines said:

Mr. Ward,

Do you believe there is a gender wage gap? If yes, what causes it and how can it be remedied?

Yes I do. I think there’s a systemic issue where some men don’t understand women. Now I’m no expert, and Fallyn will be the first to tell you, I’m not perfect -laughs- but when I was State Senator, there was a lady in a Republican colleagues office who had a feminine emergency while in a staff meeting. But he didn’t understand why she couldn’t “just hold it”. I know. It doesn’t make sense. But he didn’t get it. This is a 65 year old man with a wife and daughter. So some of that is just the folks who are in charge are ignorant. 

Second, we need to encourage women to open smal businesses. Women are great entrepreneurs, they think of businesses practices I would have never thought of. We should strive for more. I believe we should enforce the laws we have and women should be encouraged to speak out if they are getting held out on  

Third, I’d like to see us increase the amount of parental leave that’s required. Those are formative years. We’re fortunate  Fallyn gets to stay at home. But I can’t. I wish I could. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Ward,

How do you feel about Senator Solin entering the race?  It appears that you have a niche as the middle ground between Hong and Solin.  How do you see it playing out?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congressman, my name is Tyler Jones, and I am a gay man.

I have to say, I am really worried about your commitment to my rights.  The very right wing, anti-gay Republican candidate, Will Conway,  has just praised your statement saying that homophobic bigots can deny services to people like me just because of who I am and who I love.  This, combined with your anti-choice stance on reproductive freedom, really discourages me from voting at all in the election if you are the nominee of the Democratic Party.  With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Will Conway said:

Congressman, my name is Tyler Jones, and I am a gay man.

I have to say, I am really worried about your commitment to my rights.  The very right wing, anti-gay Republican candidate, Will Conway,  has just praised your statement saying that homophobic bigots can deny services to people like me just because of who I am and who I love.  This, combined with your anti-choice stance on reproductive freedom, really discourages me from voting at all in the election if you are the nominee of the Democratic Party.  With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Tyler let me clarify my position because I don’t want to imply something I don’t mean. 

If people are denying basic service for people based on their sexuality, gender, race, creed, anything like that that is inherent to them, that’s wrong and shameful. That isnt acceptable and that should be ended through the court system. 

However, there is a difference in compelling someone to provide service and compelling someone to create art they don’t agree with is also wrong. So let’s change the situation. Should the Alt-Right be forced from their home and made to live in squalor because of who they are? I don’t think so. I’m not sure that’s a good thing to do any American, we’re better than that. But should a Jewish baker be forced to bake an Alt-Right cake? By no means! Should an African-American screen printer be forced to print hateful shirts for an Alt-Right rally? Of course not! No one would say that. That’s my premise, that if it’s a normal service that isn’t an artistic expression that’s open to all, its wrong. But when we get to art and expression, people do have the right to say “I’d rather not” and if they lose business, that’s the price they pay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 2:51 PM, Jsawrie said:

Tyler let me clarify my position because I don’t want to imply something I don’t mean. 

If people are denying basic service for people based on their sexuality, gender, race, creed, anything like that that is inherent to them, that’s wrong and shameful. That isnt acceptable and that should be ended through the court system. 

However, there is a difference in compelling someone to provide service and compelling someone to create art they don’t agree with is also wrong. So let’s change the situation. Should the Alt-Right be forced from their home and made to live in squalor because of who they are? I don’t think so. I’m not sure that’s a good thing to do any American, we’re better than that. But should a Jewish baker be forced to bake an Alt-Right cake? By no means! Should an African-American screen printer be forced to print hateful shirts for an Alt-Right rally? Of course not! No one would say that. That’s my premise, that if it’s a normal service that isn’t an artistic expression that’s open to all, its wrong. But when we get to art and expression, people do have the right to say “I’d rather not” and if they lose business, that’s the price they pay

 

PLAYER NAME
Republicans Democrats
NAT EV BUS MR ML SJW PRO EN
Change +1 +2 +3 +3 +3 +1 +2 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×