TedderVision
David Parker

Parker Town Hall: National Chamber of Commerce convention

Presidential candidate David Parker is holding a town hall in Washington at a National Chamber of Commerce convention to set out his domestic agenda and listen to job creators' concerns.

Good afternoon. I'm David Parker, and I'm Vice President. Running for President and it seemed good to get together with the people that make America work: business owners. You all are America's job creation engine, the key to prosperity. I've said before that government should only do for people what they can't do for themselves, and my domestic policy will, in general, be to keep governmental regulation as much out of your all's way as possible so you can afford to hire more workers. You hire more workers, that puts more money in the economy and makes the Country as a whole more prosperous. On organized labor, I really don't see how a third party can more effectively set the terms of employment than you and your employees can. Regarding the workforce of the future, the training opportunities already available through Title One of the Workforce Investment Opportunity Act are an amazing resource for you all to make use of; State workforce agencies can provide you with workers AND pay a portion of their wages for on-the-job training, for example. I could ramble on, but I'm sure you have questions.

Mr Vice President,

Do you see job creation as a policy objective for the Government? What measures would you introduce to drive unemployment and underemployment lower were you to be elected President?

1 minute ago, Macmillan said:

Mr Vice President,

Do you see job creation as a policy objective for the Government? What measures would you introduce to drive unemployment and underemployment lower were you to be elected President?

Thank you for that question. I never really have been convinced by the arguments that government programs create jobs as such. While the training opportunities available through the Workforce Investment Opportunity Act can provide you with skilled workers, it is designed to train people for what are called "in-demand" occupations. These are determined by the Department of Labor's statisticians and are based on real people holding real jobs with wages reported to State Workforce Agencies through the Unemployment Insurance system. One thing we can, and in my view SHOULD, do is to continue streamlining and improving the processes to get workforce training rapidly approved broadly through WIOA's Title One programs and more specifically through the TAA and TRA programs. Again, government doing for people what they can't do for themselves; unemployed people generally don't have money to pay for training and al these programs are heavily documented to improve entry wages and job retention as well as decrease underemployment and unemployment.

Next question?

Mr. Vice President,

As a member of the business community, I have been rather put off by the Republican Party's shift towards economic populism and anti-immigrant sentiments that seem more likely to attract Dixiecrats than it does Rockefeller Republicans like myself.. 

Can I be assured that a vote for you will be a vote for free market, low taxes, balanced budget conservatism?  

55 minutes ago, Cardinalfan9 said:

Mr. Vice President,

As a member of the business community, I have been rather put off by the Republican Party's shift towards economic populism and anti-immigrant sentiments that seem more likely to attract Dixiecrats than it does Rockefeller Republicans like myself.. 

Can I be assured that a vote for you will be a vote for free market, low taxes, balanced budget conservatism?  

Thank you for that question. Broadly, my domestic agenda will resemble Governor Haslam's in Tennessee: an efficient and flexible government doing only those things that people can't do for themselves. We'll reduce the burden on job creators so you can do what you do best: make money and create jobs.

Next question? 

Mr. Parker, 

President Fitzgerald mobilized "Reagan Democrats"  from the Rust Belt states, and pockets of basically every state where there working class areas.  Are you the best Republican to be running in the General Election, considering the Democrat front-runner is a moderate good ol boy from Arkansas?  And how do you plan on keeping them voting red?  

Just now, Macmillan said:

(I hope so, because we've been doing it so far for everyone else)

my understanding is that it's always a different person unless it says follow up. and it's always John Q. Everyman unless they specify

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardinalfan9 said:

Mr. Parker, 

President Fitzgerald mobilized "Reagan Democrats"  from the Rust Belt states, and pockets of basically every state where there working class areas.  Are you the best Republican to be running in the General Election, considering the Democrat front-runner is a moderate good ol boy from Arkansas?  And how do you plan on keeping them voting red?  

Thank you for that question. Our internal polling shows I have some support among non-traditional Republican groups, but as to being the best Republican running I suppose we better let the People decide that one. For your final question, that's a bit outside what we're here for today but every American wants a few basic things, limited government and fiscal responsibility being a couple of the most important. 

I have time for a couple more questions.

Mr Vice President,

Do you associate yourself with the comments made by Congressman Ward giving business owners the right to refuse service to the LGBT community on religious grounds?

9 minutes ago, Macmillan said:

Mr Vice President,

Do you associate yourself with the comments made by Congressman Ward giving business owners the right to refuse service to the LGBT community on religious grounds?

Thank you for that question.

Really, the question is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of a Constitutional Republic. I say government should only do things for people that they can't do for themselves as in a Constitutional Republic, governments don't grant rights. Instead, they recognize and protect pre-existing rights and liberties, including the right to associate or NOT associate with people of our individual choice. In a free market economy, business owners may decline to do business for whatever reasons seem good to them. Conversely, their CUSTOMERS also have the same right to do business with businesses of their choosing. K-Mart and Sears did not adapt to the modern marketplace and are struggling, while on the other hand Wal-Mart and Amazon are the Big Dogs on the retail block. The free market in action; it works every time it's allowed to.

I may have time for one or 2 more.

On 5/16/2018 at 1:58 PM, David Parker said:

(@admins: is a player asking more than one question allowed?)

yes