TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
TexAgRepublican

President Signs Cuban-American Relations Act w/SML Conway

Kyle Fitzgerald

The White House
For Immediate Release

Washington, DC – President Kyle Fitzgerald and Senate Majority Leader Will Conway (R-FL) spoke to the press at a signing ceremony for the Cuban-American Relations Act. Senator Conway is one of the bill’s sponsors. The bill codifies into law the agreement reached at the 2018 Summit of the Americas to normalize relations between the United States and the Republic of Cuba.

Senate Majority Leader Will Conway: 

"In order to make progress, sometimes a person, and indeed a country, needs to step out in faith.  The United States, under President Fitzgerald, is extending a hand of friendship to the nation of Cuba.  I am proud of the President, and the Congress, for this move.  It is our great hope that conditions on the island of Cuba will continue to improve for her people, and that a new era of freedom will prevail."

President Kyle Fitzgerald:

“The signing of this legislation marks the next big step forward in the normalization of relations between the United States and the Republic of Cuba. This bill codifies into law the agreement that was reached last year between our two nations. The bill lifts the embargo of Cuba, allowing products, gifts and remittances to move back and forth between Cuba and America. The bill also closes the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base and provides financial aid for the Cuban government to bring drug cartels in their country to justice. In addition to signing this bill, I have also signed an executive order using funds and authorization contained in this bill to immediately begin construction on a new military prison located on the uninhabited Johnston Atoll that will house detainees currently held at Guantanamo Bay. This will ensure that the closing of Guantanamo Bay will pose no danger to the American people.

“We have already seen this historic agreement reap dividends for our country. Cuba has already begun releasing political prisoners – many of whom are American citizens – well ahead of schedule. The quick action by Cuba to release prisoners and the rapid passage of this legislation through Congress – thanks to leaders like Senator Conway – shows how serious both sides are to make this work. These ties will continue to strengthen as American products and influence enter the mainstream of Cuban society. As the Cuban people are exposed to Americana, they will gradually move closer and closer to economic and political freedom. 

“There were many critics of this agreement on both sides of the political spectrum. But had this agreement never been reached, those prisoners would still be sitting in a prison in Cuba somewhere and it would be highly unlikely that Cuba would ever move closer to freedom on the path we were taking before. I wasn’t elected to do what was popular. I was elected to do what was right. And as an American – and a Christian – the right thing to do was to find a way to release those prisoners and secure peace with a neighbor that sits a mere 90 miles from the coast of Florida. Matthew 22:39 says that we must love thy neighbor as thyself. Maybe today we don’t quite love each other yet, but I have no doubt in my mind that we will get there eventually.”

View full PR

5 hours ago, TexAgRepublican said:

Kyle Fitzgerald

The White House
For Immediate Release

Washington, DC – President Kyle Fitzgerald and Senate Majority Leader Will Conway (R-FL) spoke to the press at a signing ceremony for the Cuban-American Relations Act. Senator Conway is one of the bill’s sponsors. The bill codifies into law the agreement reached at the 2018 Summit of the Americas to normalize relations between the United States and the Republic of Cuba.

Senate Majority Leader Will Conway: 

"In order to make progress, sometimes a person, and indeed a country, needs to step out in faith.  The United States, under President Fitzgerald, is extending a hand of friendship to the nation of Cuba.  I am proud of the President, and the Congress, for this move.  It is our great hope that conditions on the island of Cuba will continue to improve for her people, and that a new era of freedom will prevail."

President Kyle Fitzgerald:

“The signing of this legislation marks the next big step forward in the normalization of relations between the United States and the Republic of Cuba. This bill codifies into law the agreement that was reached last year between our two nations. The bill lifts the embargo of Cuba, allowing products, gifts and remittances to move back and forth between Cuba and America. The bill also closes the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base and provides financial aid for the Cuban government to bring drug cartels in their country to justice. In addition to signing this bill, I have also signed an executive order using funds and authorization contained in this bill to immediately begin construction on a new military prison located on the uninhabited Johnston Atoll that will house detainees currently held at Guantanamo Bay. This will ensure that the closing of Guantanamo Bay will pose no danger to the American people.

“We have already seen this historic agreement reap dividends for our country. Cuba has already begun releasing political prisoners – many of whom are American citizens – well ahead of schedule. The quick action by Cuba to release prisoners and the rapid passage of this legislation through Congress – thanks to leaders like Senator Conway – shows how serious both sides are to make this work. These ties will continue to strengthen as American products and influence enter the mainstream of Cuban society. As the Cuban people are exposed to Americana, they will gradually move closer and closer to economic and political freedom. 

“There were many critics of this agreement on both sides of the political spectrum. But had this agreement never been reached, those prisoners would still be sitting in a prison in Cuba somewhere and it would be highly unlikely that Cuba would ever move closer to freedom on the path we were taking before. I wasn’t elected to do what was popular. I was elected to do what was right. And as an American – and a Christian – the right thing to do was to find a way to release those prisoners and secure peace with a neighbor that sits a mere 90 miles from the coast of Florida. Matthew 22:39 says that we must love thy neighbor as thyself. Maybe today we don’t quite love each other yet, but I have no doubt in my mind that we will get there eventually.”

View full PR

PLAYER NAME
Republicans Democrats
NAT EV BUS MR ML SJW PRO EN
Change +3 +1 +3 +1 +3 +3 +3 +3

Sign in to follow this