TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Jsawrie

Ward Takes Questions at Townhall in Pittsburgh

Mr. Ward, I am Tony Denego from the Pittsburgh Gazette. 

How does it feel to be the second presidential nominee from Arkansas in US history?  The only other nominee from Arkansas was Bill Clinton.

32 minutes ago, Doomhammer said:

Mr. Ward, I am Tony Denego from the Pittsburgh Gazette. 

How does it feel to be the second presidential nominee from Arkansas in US history?  The only other nominee from Arkansas was Bill Clinton.

Tony I have to admit, it’s a great feeling. Usually Arkansas gets discounted. We’re small, rural. Most folks see a Southern Democrat like a spotted elephant these days. But there’s a lot of folks from Arkansas that some of y’all up here can relate to. In my state, we have farmers who get up before dawn and they work the rice fields or cotton all day the same way steel workers and factory workers work from sun up to sundown every day. The concerns are the same: are my kids getting a good education? Am I going to be able to put food on the table? What happens to my family if something happens to me. 

This is why I believe that government works best when it works for everybody. Government isn’t a pest to swat, and anyone who says that ought not get involved. I’m not talking about doing nothing. But I’m not talking about government doing everything either. People ought to work hard. But we owe it to the American people not be do nothings but to be active and help this country

37 minutes ago, Doomhammer said:

@Jsawrie Hello Mr. Ward, I am Therese Taylor. 

Tell us more about your education plans as president.

Yes ma’am I’d be glad to. 

We have had teachers for years say they need funding for facilities and higher pay. I’d like to see our schools funded so that they can do that. This isn’t an issue that individual states can solve, this is an every state issue. Republicans passed No Child Left Behind which set funding according to test scores. Well anyone with half a brain can tell you that when you take money away from schools that need improvement, your making the problem worse. It’s the old adage “it’s the math stupid”. Well that failed. We turned out some really good test takers and stressed out teachers, but we hurt our schools that were underperforming. I believe we should teach our students to be functioning adults. We should be preparing them for life, not test taking. 

Now, some Republicans are suggesting that we need to take more money out of the system and give it to private schools or religious schools. I’m a Christian and think religious schools serve a great purpose. But I don’t want public tax dollars going to fund religious schools. I also don’t want to pay corporations out of public funds to teach our kids. It’s the same idea of a toll road. We have great roads in this country. Not perfect. But go to Haiti or a third world country and see how great our roads are compared to those. If you want to drive on a private toll road, that’s fine. But public money shouldn’t go to private enterprise and we shouldn’t be funding corporate education