TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Chris

The Washington Post (Danny Concannon)

image.thumb.png.68edf45a10d874b2dacb591daa11c320.png

Keystone Pipeline Could Have Great Implications

by Danny Concannon

Recently, House Republicans introduced a bill that would push forward the Keystone Pipeline. Congressman Vinick of Wisconsin was the first representative to come out in opposition and here is what he had to say. "As a former midwest governor, I would not want this pipeline to run through my state. This is a dangerous adventure the GOP are starting down. I strongly oppose this legislation and if I were a Senator in Montana, Nebraska, Wyoming, North Dakota and Texas up for reelection in 2018 I would strongly recommend that you oppose it as well."

Those are strong words by the freshman congressman from Wisconsin. Let’s take a deeper look into the pipeline project. If completed it would go through good portions of Montana, the Dakotas, and Nebraska. The part of the equation that makes this story interesting is the balance of power in the Senate in 2018 may very well come down to these states. Over the recent years popularity for this project has really diminished as more and more advocates advocate against it’s completion. But as Congressman Vinick indicated earlier all eyes will be on those Senators and how they vote on this bill.

Edited by Chris

Vinick:

PLAYER NAME
Republicans Democrats
NAT EV BUS MR ML SJW  PRO GLO
Change -1 0 -1 -1 1 0 1 1

image.thumb.png.68edf45a10d874b2dacb591daa11c320.png

Representative Swanner; Latest Republican To Prove Out of Touch

by Danny Concannon

Recently, the Representative from Texas had this to say on the Breitbart show in regards to a bill that will make college more accessible to underprivileged Americans including those living under the poverty line, are minorities, and could not attend college due to tuition costs. Congressman Swanner said "Bad idea.... " "Look, not everyone needs to go to college." "There's arguably too many college graduates right now, actually." When we reached out to Congressman Swanner for a comment he was asked" Do you stand by your statement in the interview not everyone needs to go to college? The congressman replied "Absolutely."

He went on to say " I haven't read it to be honest."   But fortunately for the Congressman, I have read the bill and here are some outlines for our readers. 

• This bill amends the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) to establish a grant program to eliminate tuition and required fees: (1) for all students at community colleges and two-year tribal colleges and universities, and (2) for working- and middle-class students at four-year public institutions of higher education (IHEs).
  • reauthorize the Federal TRIO Programs, the Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (i.e., GEAR UP), and the Federal Work Study Program for FY2018-FY2027;
  • allow student loan borrowers to modify interest rates on outstanding federal student loans to current rates.

If the Congressman actually read the bill he would know what we know which is that legislation is designed to make accessibility for all Americans. The bill does not require students to go to college but allows the opportunity to attend college for those may not have had the opportunity prior. We reached out to the legislation sponsor for comment. Congressman Arnold Vinick had this to say, "It is reprehensible that a congressman would say that not everyone needs to go to college. Everyone in America deserves to get a college degree and if they don't choose to do so there are so many other options. Which is why I sponsored legislation that helps develop trade training in High School to prepare those who choose that route have just the same opportunities. It is a sad day that this Majority feels that poor children and minorities should not have the same opportunities as every other American that grew up more economically advantaged."

• Like 1