TedderVision
Kurt Faulhammer

Rural Hospital Access Act

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENATIVES OF THE UNITED STATES

Mr. Faulhammer (for himself, Mr. Reed, and Mr. Welch) introduced the following bill;

A BILL

To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to make permanent the extension of the Medicare-dependent hospital (MDH) program and the increased payments under the Medicare low-volume hospital program.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “Rural Hospital Access Act”.

SEC. 2. EXTENSION OF THE MEDICARE-DEPENDENT HOSPITAL (MDH) PROGRAM.

(a) Extension Of Payment Methodology.—Section 1886(d)(5)(G) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395ww(d)(5)(G)) is amended—

(1) in clause (i), by striking “, and before October 1, 2017”; and

(2) in clause (ii)(II), by striking “, and before October 1, 2017”.

(b) Conforming Amendments.—

(1) EXTENSION OF TARGET AMOUNT.—Section 1886(b)(3)(D) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395ww(b)(3)(D)) is amended—

(A) in the matter preceding clause (i), by striking “, and before October 1, 2017”; and

(B) in clause (iv), by striking “through fiscal year 2017” and inserting “or a subsequent fiscal year”.

(2) PERMITTING HOSPITALS TO DECLINE RECLASSIFICATION.—Section 13501(e)(2) of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 (42 U.S.C. 1395wwnote) is amended by striking “fiscal year 2000 through fiscal year 2017” and inserting “a subsequent fiscal year”.

SEC. 3. EXTENSION OF THE INCREASED PAYMENTS UNDER THE MEDICARE LOW-VOLUME HOSPITAL PROGRAM.

Section 1886(d)(12) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395ww(d)(12)) is amended—

(1) in subparagraph (B)—

(A) in the heading, by inserting “FOR FISCAL YEARS 2005 THROUGH 2010” after “INCREASE”; and

(B) in the matter preceding clause (i), by striking “and for discharges occurring in fiscal year 2018 and subsequent fiscal years”;

(2) in subparagraph (C)(i)—

(A) by striking “fiscal years 2011 through 2017” each place it appears and inserting “fiscal year 2011 and each subsequent year”; and

(B) by striking “or portion of fiscal year”; and

(3) in subparagraph (D)—

(A) in the heading, by striking “TEMPORARY APPLICABLE PERCENTAGE INCREASE” and inserting “APPLICABLE PERCENTAGE INCREASE BEGINNING WITH FISCAL YEAR 2011”;

(B) by striking “fiscal years 2011 through 2017,” and inserting “fiscal year 2011 and each subsequent fiscal year”; and

(C) by striking “or the portion of fiscal year” each place it appears.

PLAYER NAME
Republicans Democrats
NAT EV BUS MR ML SJW  PRO GLO
Change 0 0 -1 1 1 0 1 0

The bill is popular among moderates and progressives but less so among small government conservatives.

• Thanks 1

Mr. Speaker, I object to UC as I have an additional amendment to propose.

SEC. 4. Application of the Controlled Substances Act to marijuana.

(a) In general.—Part A of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following:

“SEC. 103. Application of this Act to marijuana.

“(a) Prohibition on certain shipping or transportation.—This Act shall not apply to marijuana, except that it shall be unlawful only to ship or transport, in any manner or by any means whatsoever, marijuana, from one State, territory, or district of the United States, or place noncontagious to but subject to the jurisdiction thereof, into any other State, territory, or district of the United States, or place noncontagious to but subject to the jurisdiction thereof, or from any foreign country into any State, territory, or district of the United States, or place noncontagious to but subject to the jurisdiction thereof, when such marijuana is intended, by any person interested therein, to be received, possessed, sold, or in any manner used, either in the original package or otherwise, in violation of any law of such State, territory, or district of the United States, or place noncontagious to but subject to the jurisdiction thereof.

“(b) Penalty.—Whoever knowingly violates subsection (a) shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.”.

(b) Table of contents.—The table of contents for the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 (Public Law 91–513; 84 Stat. 1236) is amended by striking the item relating to section 103 and inserting the following:

“Sec. 103. Application of this Act to marijuana.”.

SEC. 5. Deregulation of marijuana.

(a) Removed from schedule of controlled substances.—Subsection (c) of Schedule I of section 202(c) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812(c)) is amended—

(1) by striking “marijuana”; and

(2) by striking “tetrahydrocannabinols”.

(b) Removal of prohibition on import and export.—Section 1010(b) of the Controlled Substances Import and Export Act (21 U.S.C. 960) is amended—

(1) in paragraph (1)—

(A) in subparagraph (F), by inserting “or” after the semicolon;

(B) by striking subparagraph (G); and

(C) by redesignating subparagraph (H) as subparagraph (G);

(2) in paragraph (2)—

(A) in subparagraph (F), by inserting “or” after the semicolon;

(B) by striking subparagraph (G); and

(C) by redesignating subparagraph (H) as subparagraph (G);

(3) in paragraph (3), by striking “paragraphs (1), (2), and (4)” and inserting “paragraphs (1) and (2)”;

(4) by striking paragraph (4); and

(5) by redesignating paragraphs (5), (6), and (7) as paragraphs (4), (5), and (6), respectively.

SEC. 4. Conforming amendments to Controlled Substances Act.

The Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.) is amended—

(1) in section 102(44) (21 U.S.C. 802(44)), by striking “marijuana,”;

(2) in section 401(b) (21 U.S.C. 841(b))—

(A) in paragraph (1)—

(i) in subparagraph (A)—

(I) in clause (vi), by inserting “or” after the semicolon;

(II) by striking (vii); and

(III) by redesignating clause (viii) as clause (vii);

(ii) in subparagraph (B)—

(I) by striking clause (vii); and

(II) by redesignating clause (viii) as clause (vii);

(iii) in subparagraph (C), by striking “subparagraphs (A), (B), and (D)” and inserting “subparagraphs (A) and (B)”;

(iv) by striking subparagraph (D);

(v) by redesignating subparagraph (E) as subparagraph (D); and

(vi) in subparagraph (D)(i), as redesignated, by striking “subparagraphs (C) and (D)” and inserting “subparagraph (C)”;

(B) by striking paragraph (4); and

(C) by redesignating paragraphs (5), (6), and (7) as paragraphs (4), (5), and (6), respectively;

(3) in section 402(c)(2)(B) (21 U.S.C. 842(c)(2)(B)), by striking “, marijuana,”;

(4) in section 403(d)(1) (21 U.S.C. 843(d)(1)), by striking “, marijuana,”;

(5) in section 418(a) (21 U.S.C. 859(a)), by striking the last sentence;

(6) in section 419(a) (21 U.S.C. 860(a)), by striking the last sentence;

(7) in section 422(d) (21 U.S.C. 863(d))—

(A) in the matter preceding paragraph (1), by striking “marijuana,”; and

(B) in paragraph (5), by striking “, such as a marijuana cigarette,”; and

(8) in section 516(d) (21 U.S.C. 886(d)), by striking “section 401(b)(6)” each place the term appears and inserting “section 401(b)(5)”.

Edited by Doomhammer

2 hours ago, TexAgRepublican said:

Mr. Speaker,

Point of order. The amendment is not germane. This is not a bill about marijuana. This amendment should not be recognized.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

There is relevance.  The bill's purpose is to, " To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to make permanent the extension of the Medicare-dependent hospital (MDH) program and the increased payments under the Medicare low-volume hospital program."   Essentially, the bill is to improve hospitals, medicare, and lightly address health care.  In order to assist in the health of American citizens who might qualify for medicare or who have health care needs as well as the hospitals ability to offer pain relief to their clients,  legalizing marijuana will offer an alternative to some of the current medical practices offered by hospitals and medical institutions.  92% of patients who have used medical marijuana in states where it is legal have claimed it worked.*  This bill is lightly addressing our health care system and by legalizing marijuana, our nation will take a much greater step in providing assistance and freedom to the American people.  Instead of making the language of the bill only for medical marijuana, it is more convenient to legalize it in general so that there are fewer regulations on cannibus uses. In addition, this amendment would help boost our economy.  This boost will lead to more business owners, more jobs, and more income taxes from marijuana which can then be used to help fund medicare. 

This amendment is relevant.  What would be germane would be military spending in an infrastructure bill.

I yield.

OOC: *https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/10/01/92-of-patients-say-medical-marijuana-works/?utm_term=.5e602e7b3410