TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Jsawrie

Ward Doubles Down on Student Debt

Calvin Ward

“What Swanner wants to do is kick the ball and wait til folks are already in bankruptcy before we start helping. We’re giving chemo to the person with stage 4 lung cancer instead of pulling the cigarettes out their mouth in their 2nd pack of the day. I’d rather see us reform student loans, move to a expanded Pell Grant system. If we have every student four years of public univeristy or community college we would save each tax payer hundreds each year. Of course there would need to be standards of achievement met for those to continue. We’re not giving money to those who can’t make the grades. But as requirements for jobs grow, we must meet the rising tide. We should be meeting needs before folks are in over their heads; prevention not cure is the difference between us. His idea isn’t the worst I’ve seen from the Republicans. It just doesn’t go far enough to actually help everyone. 

Yes, some people need to go learn a trade, but we shoukd be equipping our public schools to do that. No one can take a trade out form your hands, and our students need to be told that. I’m calling on the GOP to fund public schools to expand their vocational programs. Getting people out of debt when their drowning is great; but let’s give people a chance before they’re sinking. “

View full PR

Edited by Jsawrie

On 7/13/2018 at 9:42 PM, Jsawrie said:

Calvin Ward

“What Swanner wants to do is kick the ball and wait til folks are already in bankruptcy before we start helping. We’re giving chemo to the person with stage 4 lung cancer instead of pulling the cigarettes out their mouth in their 2nd pack of the day. I’d rather see us reform student loans, move to a expanded Pell Grant system. If we have every student four years of public univeristy or community college we would save each tax payer hundreds each year. Of course there would need to be standards of achievement met for those to continue. We’re not giving money to those who can’t make the grades. But as requirements for jobs grow, we must meet the rising tide. We should be meeting needs before folks are in over their heads; prevention not cure is the difference between us. His idea isn’t the worst I’ve seen from the Republicans. It just doesn’t go far enough to actually help everyone. 

Yes, some people need to go learn a trade, but we shoukd be equipping our public schools to do that. No one can take a trade out form your hands, and our students need to be told that. I’m calling on the GOP to fund public schools to expand their vocational programs. Getting people out of debt when their drowning is great; but let’s give people a chance before they’re sinking. “

View full PR

Momentum: 2

Sign in to follow this