TedderVision
Jsawrie

Joint Resolution to Condemn the AltRight

Calvin Ward, with offer, with thanks to ,

A BILL

To publicly decry the AltRight as white sumpracist

This bill may be cited as the Joint Resolution to Condemn the AltRight.

Section 1: Terms & Definitions

Section 2: Findings

Whereas the Alternative Right or Alt-Right have demonstrated publicly that they desire a Caucasian only ethnic state

and

Wheras their fundamental tenants of racism, bigotry, white supremacy, and misogyny are well documented in their blogs, podcasts, and on social media

and 

Whereas their views are totally inconsistent with American values 

and 

whereas our country has already endured the violence that White Nationalism and White Supremacy breeds during our Civil Rights Era

Whereas we recognize that they do not represent the majority of Americans

Section 3: Law Change

We, the Congress of the United States,

do hereby condemn their actions firmly

further,

we resolve that no White Nationalists will be sat among us, refusing to seat them. 

Section 4: Effective Date

The bill shall go into effect upon its constitutional passage.

View full bill

Mr Speaker,

I rise to a point of order. As this piece of legislation was introduced in the last Congress, I request that the sponsor of the legislation re-submit it for this Congress.

I yield.

4 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Mr Speaker,

I rise to a point of order. As this piece of legislation was introduced in the last Congress, I request that the sponsor of the legislation re-submit it for this Congress.

I yield.

OOC: While I understand the point of Order I'm going to overrule because @Bruce himself said there's no need to reintroduce, I'm going to concur with him and say there's no need to reintroduce.

Mr Speaker,

I rise to talk about this matter that has been brought before the House today. While I totally condemn the actions and opinions of those who are considered in the groups of the "alt right" I must say that I also condemn and oppose this piece of legislation.

America was built on the foundations and promise of free speech. I have serious reservations about this resolution being entered into the annals of Congress. We saw the Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act and Supreme Court cases such as Brown v. Board of Education undo action taken against one color, one side and one section of the American people wherever it was found.

Why now has the United States Congress saw fit to introduce a motion which condemns one section, where it may or may not exist, of the American people? I think this resolution is an attack on the free speech and right to demonstrate as Americans. Furthermore, refusing to seat a duly elected member of Congress based on their opinion sets a dangerous precedent... and one which I don't think would stand up in court based on first amendment litigation. 

It is with this Mr Speaker, that I move to table this resolution.

I yield. 

*hand off gavel*

Mr. Speaker, 

It has only been a few years since White Nationalists shot up the Mall of America. They killed men, women, and children who lost their lives as victims to hate. It is shameful that any member of this body refuses to condemn these people and to take a stand to say that these domestic terrorists have no place in our chambers. Several months ago we were told that we don't have the time to answer this question. But now we see what is going on. It's not that we don't have time, but that there are some who wish to not condemn these actions. It is shamful

I yield

*hand on gavel*

Mr Speaker,

I rise in support of this resolution. To the Gentlemen from Texas, I would like to say that this resolution does not in any way infringe on free speech. This resolution condemns a radical fringe group that has not only committed acts of violence in recent memory, but whose very core ideology runs opposed to the values of this nation, that all men are created equal. In order to uphold that principle enshrined in our founding, we must condemn movements that run perpendicular to that message.

Frankly, the fact that this resolution was not passed by unanimous consent proves that the former speaker did not fail to put this on the docket because "condemning the alt-right is easy," but because it is quite the opposite for your party.

To close, this legislation is not an infringement on anyone's rights and is in line with the fundamental values of our nation.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

While Article I, section 5 of the Constitution grants Congress the ability to judge the qualifications of its members the 1969 Supreme Court case Powell v. McCormack ruled that the House's power to judge qualifications is limited to Constitutional qualifications such as age, citizenship, and things of that sort. Refusing to seat someone on the basis of their ideology would be unconstitutional and this resolution wouldn't hold up in court.

I yield

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

I'm typically not the most vocal guy in this chamber, but we must not continue to act as if the Alt-Right's ideology is akin to liberalism or conservativism. 

This not Occupy Wall Street, Tea Party, or anything in between those arguably divisive groups. This is not about taxes. This is not about spending. Hell, this isn't even about family values. 

This is an ideology responsible for the slaughter of millions of innocent people. This is an ideology that murdered not only those of different races, but Catholics, Jews, and anyone else who wasn't a White Protestant.

First they come for the blacks, and I say nothing because I'm not black. 

Then they came for the Jews, and I said nothing because I'm not Jewish.  

Then they came for me and I had no one to speak in my defense. 

With that, I yield. 

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

I must ask my colleagues across the aisle, would you be comfortable with an alt-right member sitting in this chamber? Would you be comfortable giving respect to a person who thinks other people do not have the same rights as you just because of their religion or race? Would you be comfortable debating someone who associates themselves with people who claim I should be lynched just for the fact I have a husband and not a wife? I disagree with my colleague from Illinois in one spot, this may not be about traditional family values that we think of normally, this is about our human values and if we should give a voice to men who think that a great many of representatives in this chamber should not be here. If you are a woman, a non-protestant, LGBT, black or Hispanic, or anyone that doesn't fit their "perfect race" you should vote for this resolution.

I yield. 

• Like 1

Mr Speaker,

The House of Representatives has better things to do with its time than consider unconstitutional motions which infringe on free speech and previous Supreme Court rulings. I urge the Majority Party to shift its focus away from unconstitutionality and move it onto meaningful domestic and foreign terrorism legislation.

I yield.

Mr, Speaker.

So the gentleman thinks that this legislation isn’t meaningful? That is isn’t meaningful to show that this nation stands up against white supremacy? That it is not meaningful for our country to condemn a hate group? We then I must say that the gentleman is just plain ignorant. Because if he cannot support this bill then he is fine with white supremacists. I challenge him and his party, I will rethink my position on their ignorance the moment they come out right here, on the house floor and say they condemn white supremacy, anti semitism, homophobia, and misogyny. If they can do that right here right now then thy might just not be shameful and ignorant. 

I yield.