TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Doomhammer

Lower Business Taxes

Henry Clement (Federalist PA):

1604664760_HenryClement.jpg.1512ddc26d8bc3055b5b4ad3c4688a98.jpg

I recommend that the state of Pennsylvania adjusts its taxes as such:

Lower the business tax from 10% to 2.5% so that wealthy citizens will be encouraged to have their businesses headquartered in Pennsylvania similar to the model from New York.

Lower newspaper tax to 3% so as to promote the liberty of freedom of press and the value of having an educated citizenry.

A member of state government asks: "Does the Congressman intend to relieve Pennsylvania of its debt incurred by the Revolution? If Pennsylvania is to pay it off cutting taxes is a much more difficult sell."

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

^ Meant to say Pennsylvania in the previous post

OOC: I was kind of confused by that. Thanks for clarifying.  I was about to respond "I don't care about NY's debts"

3 minutes ago, Bruce said:

A member of state government asks: "Does the Congressman intend to relieve Pennsylvania of its debt incurred by the Revolution? If Pennsylvania is to pay it off cutting taxes is a much more difficult sell."

Sir, if the state of Pennsylvania draws more business activity due to less taxation, our debt will go away smoother.  Instead of one business being taxed at 10%, we could have four or more businesses taxed at 2.5% which will match the same tax rate as only one business.  Therefore, we will continue the current cash inflow to the state but also provide more job opportunities and business growth for our citizens in this state.  This measure will assist our developing economy and will still allow Pennsylvania to pay off it's debt.   

Mister Clement,

I believe that in the long term, more business growth as a result of less taxation is desirable in the long run, but our tax income will be lowered significantly. Are there any other alternative solutions you can offer?

On the topic of the state militia, I believe that the minimum age for membership should be raised to fourteen. @Doomhammer

Edited by James Grant

11 minutes ago, James Grant said:

Mister Clement,

I believe that in the long term, more business growth as a result of less taxation is desirable in the long run, but our tax income will be lowered significantly. Are there any other alternative solutions you can offer?

On the topic of the state militia, I believe that the minimum age for membership should be raised to fourteen. @Doomhammer

Perhaps we do not have to drop the business tax rate as low as 2.5%.  Perhaps another rate such as 5% or 7.5% may be more doable considering the state's debt.

I can compromise and adjust the age for a militia membership from 12 to 14.  That is doable and reasonable. 

My concern, Mr. Clement, is that this is an effort to handcuff the sovereign state legislature of Pennsylvania, which rightly ought to be strong, so as to allow the newly-crafted federal authority all the way in Washington to increase its share of authority, given its wider breadth of fundraising ability. Furthermore, as has previously been mentioned, the significant amount of debt owing from Pennsylvania since the war is prohibitive. It is not time, nor is it safe, to reduce taxes, especially by such a ridiculous amount as has been proposed.

Edited by Ryan

The Legislature would like to wait to see if the 1st Congress assumes state debts before considering this proposal. If Congress does pass such legislation, please bring this issue back up.

Sign in to follow this