TedderVision
TexAgRepublican

Vice Presidential Nomination

Mr. Speaker,

I move for unanimous consent on this highly qualified nomination. The nominee has an extensive track record of success at all levels of government and service. It's important for us to repair the broken line of presidential succession as soon as possible, and I thank the Speaker for putting this on the first docket. 

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

I believe that a position as important as Vice President should not be just put down as a small thing to consent to, it should require a vote no matter the circumstances.

I yield. 

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

I ask, what are the qualifications of Mr. Walker. When he is being appointed to be a heartbeat away from leading the free world, we should make sure he is qualified. 

I yield.

10 hours ago, TexAgRepublican said:

Mr. Speaker,

I would like everyone to look at this biography of the nominee: 

I think after reading this, everyone will agree that he is extremely qualified.

I yield.

Hear hear

Mr. Speaker,

Can anyone in this chamber explain to me how Governor Walker's handling of Ohio's education system and increased poverty?  Since taking office, Ohio has dropped from being ranked 16 in the nation to 23rd in the nation.  In addition, *Ohio had among the largest gaps on national test scores between students living in poverty and their higher-income classmates, ranking 43rd in the nation.  Ohio’s child-poverty rate rose to 23 percent last year from 18 percent in 2008, according to a report by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. That’s nearly 1 in 4 children living in households with incomes below the federal poverty rate, about $20,000 a year for a family of three.  Apparently, children in poverty in Ohio are having less opportunity. 

Shouldn't we be seating a Vice President with a track record that better supports education for students with less opportunity?  We need someone who lifts people up and decreases the gap between the wealthy and the poor.  In Ohio, he made the gap wider and made less privileged youth have a harder to acquiring an education.

I yield

OOC:

http://www.dispatch.com/article/20160107/NEWS/301079757

15 minutes ago, Doomhammer said:

Mr. Speaker,

Can anyone in this chamber explain to me how Governor Walker's handling of Ohio's education system and increased poverty?  Since taking office, Ohio has dropped from being ranked 16 in the nation to 23rd in the nation.  In addition, *Ohio had among the largest gaps on national test scores between students living in poverty and their higher-income classmates, ranking 43rd in the nation.  Ohio’s child-poverty rate rose to 23 percent last year from 18 percent in 2008, according to a report by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. That’s nearly 1 in 4 children living in households with incomes below the federal poverty rate, about $20,000 a year for a family of three.  Apparently, children in poverty in Ohio are having less opportunity. 

Shouldn't we be seating a Vice President with a track record that better supports education for students with less opportunity?  We need someone who lifts people up and decreases the gap between the wealthy and the poor.  In Ohio, he made the gap wider and made less privileged youth have a harder to acquiring an education.

I yield

OOC:

http://www.dispatch.com/article/20160107/NEWS/301079757

Mr. Speaker,

To address the gentlewoman from Michigan's concern about Mr. Walker's handling of education, I would like to point out he was not able to stop federal legislation implemented during his governorship that hurt the education of the poor such as Common Core. To quote Democratic Senator Alexis Parraz on Common Core "The fact is Common Core cirriculum and Standardized Testing is clearly biased by social-class, ethnic, regional and is harmful to all sorts of other cultural differences. It favors those who can afford Test Prep while keeping down those families who cannot making it harder for Poor kids to have a brighter future in that they may one day have a better life and an easier time than their parents did. They limit the amount teachers can adapt to different children who learn differently than the others forcing children to change how they learn or suffer the concequence of getting left in the dust." if you want to blame someone for Ohio's poor performance educationally for it's less privileged students blame President Obama for signing things like Common Core into law not Mr. Walker. Thankfully last Congressional session large majorities in both the House and Senate repealed Common Core to help reverse these negative educational results we have seen and we will hopefully see some progress made in the right direction now.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

When Marcus Walker took over as Governor of Ohio in 2011, Ohio had lost 351,000 private sector jobs and was 48th in the nation in job creation. Now, they rank in the top ten in job creation. Ohio has added over 500,000 jobs since Walker became Governor and their GDP has grown by over $150 billion. He inherited a nearly $8 billion budget deficit and balanced the budget. 

It's nice to have these discussions about the nominee's record, but ultimately this is about preserving the line of succession. The president deserves to have people around him who he wants and trusts. 

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

While I'm sure Gov. Walker and I have disagreements on policy, I do believe him to be fit to serve as Vice President. 

If he has experience, the mentality, and the fortitude to serve this great nation of ours, I say give him a chance. 

Policy will be debated, but as my constituents in Southern Illinois believe, character comes before all. We've had plenty of bad VPs over the years, I have faith that Gov. Walker will be a competent second in command and I look forward to a healthy debate on the issues in this session of Congress. 

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

We would not be doing our due diligence to the American people if we do not discuss the potential Vice President's record.  To blindly do whatever the President wants would be foolish.  Governor Walker has a great chance to be the next Vice President of the United States; however, the American people voted for Macmillan/Fitzgerald and not Fitzgerald/Walker.  We would be doing a disservice to the American people if we did not take this matter seriously.  The people cannot vote for Walker today, it is our job.  We must be informed just like any other voter. Already, we saw the 25th amendment invoked due to a terrorist attack.  We better ensure that whoever becomes Vice President is fully capable of being President.

Many concerns from my constituents regard a variety of topics unaddressed by this chamber and Governor Walker.  For example, where does Governor Walker stand on Afghanistan?  Does he believe our nation should remain in Afghanistan or should we bring our troops home?  Will he support increasing the gap between the wealthy and the poor through outdated and ineffective Reaganomics?  Will he stand up for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, racial minorities, and religious minorities or will he find ways to restrict their freedoms because they conflict with a potential religious bias?  Does Governor Walker unequivocally condemns the Alt-Right?  Is a woman's right to choose going to be protected or infringed by a Vice President or President Walker?  Will he gut funding to public education to fund charter schools?  Where does Governor Walker stand on these issues?  We don't know.  This chamber must know if we are going to elect him.  We must know because the people deserve to know who we are voting into the Vice Presidency.  To say this has to be done quickly for the President's sake is foolish as it means that the President should get whatever he wants because he asks for it while the American people have to shut up and accept it.  My constituents want answers on how Governor Walker will conduct himself as Vice President and more importantly, as President if circumstances ever come to that.  We have a preserved line of succession already in place, Gentleman from Texas.  Our nation has done a quite extensive amount of planning for that.  Let's get to the bottom of who Governor Walker is and where he stands on the issues facing the American people.  His resume is nice, but how does he plan to lead if called upon to do so?  We must get to the bottom of that.

I yield 

Mr. Speaker,

I agree with the Gentlewoman from Michigan. The people deserve to know where the future Vice President stands on issues that matter to them before appointing him to a position so close to the presidency.

I yield

Mr. Speaker,

We do know where he stands. He's been in politics for over 15 years. He's been elected a Senator and a Governor in a swing state. He's not some random guy we found off the street.

I yield. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TexAgRepublican said:

Mr. Speaker,

We do know where he stands. He's been in politics for over 15 years. He's been elected a Senator and a Governor in a swing state. He's not some random guy we found off the street. 

I yield. 

OOC: But yeah, we don't know any of that unless I missed it in his bio somewhere or if he has posted PRs that again I am unaware of.  All we know is his decorated past which states nothing about where he actually stands.  Obviously, he looks like a knight in shining armor because he hasn't done anything yet and knows how to construct a great backstory.  Not the player's fault this character doesn't have a public stance yet, but would you honestly appoint a VP without knowing where he/she stands on important issues?  Saying he is "highly qualified" and "a really good guy" isn't convincing enough.  The only amount of substance in this debate is "It wasn't his fault Ohio went down in education rankings" and "Job growth" which was a good, supportive point.  I had to pull that out of you guys.  Since I cannot actually look up his stance anywhere, there is no way to know why we should confirm him.  If he is a staunch homophobe, thinks illegals should get the death penalty, or believes in a war with North Korea, we better know about those things.