TedderVision
Jsawrie

AUMF Repeal

Mr. Knox, with offer, with thanks to Barbara Lee,

A BILL

To sunset the 2001 Authorization of Military Force

This bill may be cited as the AUMF Repeal.

Section 1: Terms & Definitions

Section 2: Findings

Section 3: Law Change

Sec A-

The Authorization for the Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40; 50 USC 1541 note) is hereby repealed

Sec B. 

The repeal mentioned in Section A

1. Takes effect on the date that is 240 days after the date it is enacted and 

2. Applies with respect to each operation and action that is being carried out pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military force initiated before such effective date. 

Section 4: Effective Date

The bill shall go into effect upon its constitutional passage.

View full bill

Mr Speaker,

I have great concern as to the intent of this House to repeal the Authorization for Use of Military Force, which currently enables the President, with the affirmation of Congress, to fight wars abroad against terrorists and those who would seek to do us harm. It is concerning that members on the other side of the aisle wish to see the fight against terrorism be left in an ultimate state of limbo by confirming their intent to repeal this authorization.

We would be sending the wrong message to our allies and to our enemies. The United States should not and will not go soft.

I yield.

*hand off gavel*

Mr. Speaker,

The gentleman from Texas doesn’t understand the bill. This would require the President place a time limit for conflict or get a declaration of war per the Constituion and War Powers Act. If he is certain it is necessary, he can submit that, but this legislation restores the Constituional balance between the Executive and Legislative branches

i yield

*hand on gavel*

Mr. Speaker,

This bill will not make America “go soft;” it will only give move warmaking ability back to the hands of congress and the people, where the constitution says it should be. If the President thinks it is appropriate to war with terrorists, he will bring it here and, if found appropriate, we will authorize it promptly.

That is the proper way. Not giving a blank check for war is not the same as proclaiming that we will never fight violence and terrorism again.

I yield

Mr President,

It is sad that members on the other side of the aisle are attempting to politically charge the safety of American people. The AUMF is one of those pieces of legislation which gives the President discretion to take action against terrorists, and that's why it should remain how it is. We will be turning it into a political decision when it should be an executive one by the President, the Commander in Chief of our military.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

The purpose of AUMF in its founding was admirable, but the fact is that the farmers of the constitution intended for warmaking powers to be in the hands of congress, not the executive.

The gentleman from Texas can speak all day about this being us “politically charging the safety of the American people,” but it does not change the fact that this is a bill that is true to the spirit of the constitution and will help us get out of a perpetual state of war; one that we all have lost for the past decade and a half.

I yield

Mr. Speaker, 

Once again, my fellow republicans are inept if not illiterate when it comes to the constitution. For how much republicans love to talk about the constitution especially the 2nd amendment (which is something I do and IS important). 

Nonetheless, my fellow republicans are seemingly the opposite of what they say they are when it comes to certain issues where they LOVE big government and IGNORE the constitution. AUMF is unconstitutional and is principle TERRIBLE for limited and balanced government.

I yield

Mr. Speaker,

I think leaving Afghanistan and broadly wrapping up the War on Terror in the Middle East is a noble goal, and from my conversations with the president I think it’s a goal this administration is pursuing. That being said, this isn’t the right way to go about it. As a combat veteran, I can’t support legislation that would pull the rug out from under our troops in less than a year regardless of whether the job is done or not. We should let our Commander-in-Chief – also a veteran – and his military leadership do what they need to do in order to defeat terrorism.

I yield.

*off gavel*

Mr. Speaker,

a question for the gentleman. For how long? How much more money needs to be spent? If the President doesn’t have an exit strategy, are we in perpetual war?”

i yield. 

*on gavel*

Edited by Jsawrie

Mr Speaker,

Repealing AUMF will not “pull the rug out” from under our troops, it will just give warmaking power back to congress and the people. The rug would only be pulled out if we decided to pull it out from under them, which I do not intend to do.

Frankly, I am surprised to see that the gentleman from Idaho is the only member of your side of the aisle with consistency on the issue of the constitutional separation of powers.

I yield

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wm96 said:

Mr Speaker,

Repealing AUMF will not “pull the rug out” from under our troops, it will just give warmaking power back to congress and the people. The rug would only be pulled out if we decided to pull it out from under them, which I do not intend to do.

Frankly, I am surprised to see that the gentleman from Idaho is the only member of your side of the aisle with consistency on the issue of the constitutional separation of powers.

I yield

HEAR HEAR!!!