TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Wm96

Karl Cox Defends Refugees

Karl Cox

The Office of Karl Cox (D-TN) released the following statement regarding the President’s executive order signed earlier today:

So the president unilaterally cut refugee cap in half today in order to keep “low-skilled” people from taking American jobs. There are two reasons I oppose this action.

1. This is an action that should have been made with the say and consent of congress. As my friend Mr. Knox said, the “small government” Republicans seem to be about small government when it suits them, because this is a clear example of overlooking the will of the people through congress.

2. Refugees are not normal immigrants. The justification for this order was economic—it is a policy to keep “low-skilled workers” from taking jobs from natively born Americans. This kind of justification is apt for legal, normal immigration, but I do not think that it is appropriate for refugees, because they are not trying to come here just because they like it better; they are coming here because they are fleeing violence, danger, or disease.

I’m from Nashville. In Nashville, we have a massive refugee population that are mostly Salvadoran, Somalian, or Kurdish. In fact, we have the largest Kurdish population outside of the Middle East. Have these immigrants hurt our economy? I’m not sure, but you know what? I don’t care. When you look into the face of a mother with two small children, crying because our people reached out their arms and welcomed them in when they thought they might be killed in a civil war, or when you see children dying of disease be nursed back to health in the care of wonderful Americans that have compassion for their fellow man, you start to realize that maybe there are more important things in the world than the economy.

Yes, of course we should take care of the economy with all of our might, but we have a prospering economy right now and have with the refugee cap where it’s been. I serve a God that specifically says to take care of the poor, the sick, and the needy—we have the capacity to help people, so I believe we should.

I hope the President considers reversing this course to take a more compassionate position that understands our capacity to help people in the world while maintaining our economy. Cutting the refugee cap doesn’t seem to be it, in my view.

View full PR

Edited by Wm96

14 hours ago, Wm96 said:

Karl Cox

The Office of Karl Cox (D-TN) released the following statement regarding the President’s executive order signed earlier today:

So the president unilaterally cut refugee cap in half today in order to keep “low-skilled” people from taking American jobs. There are two reasons I oppose this action.

1. This is an action that should have been made with the say and consent of congress. As my friend Mr. Knox said, the “small government” Republicans seem to be about small government when it suits them, because this is a clear example of overlooking the will of the people through congress.

2. Refugees are not normal immigrants. The justification for this order was economic—it is a policy to keep “low-skilled workers” from taking jobs from natively born Americans. This kind of justification is apt for legal, normal immigration, but I do not think that it is appropriate for refugees, because they are not trying to come here just because they like it better; they are coming here because they are fleeing violence, danger, or disease.

I’m from Nashville. In Nashville, we have a massive refugee population that are mostly Salvadoran, Somalian, or Kurdish. In fact, we have the largest Kurdish population outside of the Middle East. Have these immigrants hurt our economy? I’m not sure, but you know what? I don’t care. When you look into the face of a mother with two small children, crying because our people reached out their arms and welcomed them in when they thought they might be killed in a civil war, or when you see children dying of disease be nursed back to health in the care of wonderful Americans that have compassion for their fellow man, you start to realize that maybe there are more important things in the world than the economy.

Yes, of course we should take care of the economy with all of our might, but we have a prospering economy right now and have with the refugee cap where it’s been. I serve a God that specifically says to take care of the poor, the sick, and the needy—we have the capacity to help people, so I believe we should.

I hope the President considers reversing this course to take a more compassionate position that understands our capacity to help people in the world while maintaining our economy. Cutting the refugee cap doesn’t seem to be it, in my view.

View full PR

Momentum: 3

Sign in to follow this