TedderVision
Dogslife

The No Wall Ever Act

Mr. Alexander, with offer, with thanks to ,

A BILL

To Repeal Section 2 of the American National Security Act

This bill may be cited as the The No Wall Ever Act.

Section 1: Terms & Definitions

Section 2: Findings

Section 3: Law Change

1, Section 2 of the American National Security Act is repealed.

2, All current construction of any physical barrier along the Mexican Border shall cease within 5 days of the enactment of this Act.

Section 4: Effective Date

The bill shall go into effect upon its constitutional passage.

View full bill

Mr. Speaker,

I object to the gentleman from Colorado's bill. Though I disagree with the method adopted by the Fitzgerald Administration, I believe the principle is good. We are a nation and a nation must have borders, thus springs sovereignty.

I yield

Mr Speaker,

If the gentleman from Missouri disagrees with the method of the Fitzgerald administration, then surely he understands that we can protect our borders and our sovereignty without building a wall on our southern border. This bill does not repeal border security, only construction of the wall.

I yield

Mr. Speaker, 

I honestly must praise the gentleman from Tennessee for his ability to read minds. However, I must note that the bill I hold right here in my hand specifically ends the construction of any physical barrier along the US-Mexico border. That does not sound like merely a stop to the border wall, that sounds like an end to any physical structure along our Southern border. 

My point stands.

I yield.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Mr. Speaker,

I object to the gentleman from Colorado's bill. Though I disagree with the method adopted by the Fitzgerald Administration, I believe the principle is good. We are a nation and a nation must have borders, thus springs sovereignty.

I yield

HEAR HEAR

Mr. Speaker,

I apologize if the gentleman from Missouri believes I have put words in his mouth. If he believes a wall is in fact necessary for the sovereignty of our nation, I encourage him to explain how that is the case.

If not, though, I am unsure of how one can be against building a wall along our southern border but be for building "physical barriers" along it. I believe we should use modern surveillance to secure the border, because any form of physical barrier is akin to a wall, and that is outdated, not cost effective, ecologically devastating, and is built on land claimed through eminent domain which infringes on property rights.

This bill does not end any "physical structures" along the border, it is an end to "physical barriers," all of which are different forms of walls under construction.

I yield

Mr. Speaker,

I must commend the gentleman from Tennessee for his excellent joke about my support for the President's wall. I must also commend him for his cleverness in using "physical barriers" to refer to the wall. 

However, I must then ask, why would the gentleman from Colorado use such vague language for his bill? It strikes me as odd that rather than using a concrete, no pun intended, term such as wall he would instead use a more vague term such as "physical barrier?"

My point still stands.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

I can see the gentleman’s point on this matter. And I agree with him. I’m not perfect. That’s why I propose the following amendment where we amend the following section to read,

“All current construction of any physical concrete barrier along the Mexican Border shall cease within 5 days of the enactment of this Act.

I hope the gentleman can find this suitable to his beliefs.

I yield.

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

I second the proposed amendment by the gentleman from Colorado, and I commend him on working to make a good bill better proactively, rather than just spewing meaningless sarcasm like the silly gentleman from Missouri.

I yield

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

The wall is slated to be completed by the end of 2020, and the president will never sign this. The wall is going to be built, and there is nothing the Majority can do to stop it. They are spinning their wheels and wasting everyone's time with this. This legislation is beyond petty. 

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

I thank the gentleman from Colorado for his amendment and have no further objection to this bill.

I yield.

Mr. Alexander, with offer, with thanks to , 

A BILL
The amendment carries 221-214

To Repeal Section 2 of the American National Security Act 

This bill may be cited as the The No Wall Ever Act. 

Section 1: Terms & Definitions

Section 2: Findings

Section 3: Law Change

1, Section 2 of the American National Security Act is repealed.

2, All current construction of any physical barrier along the Mexican Border shall cease within 5 days of the enactment of this Act.

3. “All current construction of any physical concrete barrier along the Mexican Border shall cease within 5 days of the enactment of this Act.
Section 4: Effective Date

The bill shall go into effect upon its constitutional passage.