TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Russ

Protection of Labor Act

Mr. Johnston (with thanks to Ms. Warren and Mr. Brown) submits

A BILL

To repeal the authority under the National Labor Relations Act for States to enact laws prohibiting agreements requiring membership in a labor organization as a condition of employment, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in the United States of America in Congress assembled,

Section 1: Short Title.

This Act may be cited as the "Protection of Labor Act."

Section 2: Contents

Subsection (b) of section 14 of the National Labor Relations Act (29 U.S.C. 164) is repealed.

On 9/26/2018 at 11:47 AM, Russ said:

Mr. Johnston (with thanks to Ms. Warren and Mr. Brown) submits

A BILL

To repeal the authority under the National Labor Relations Act for States to enact laws prohibiting agreements requiring membership in a labor organization as a condition of employment, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in the United States of America in Congress assembled,

Section 1: Short Title.

This Act may be cited as the "Protection of Labor Act."

Section 2: Contents

Subsection (b) of section 14 of the National Labor Relations Act (29 U.S.C. 164) is repealed.

PLAYER NAME
Republicans Democrats
NAT EV BUS MR ML SJW PRO GLO
Change -3 -5 -10 -3 -2 +5 +3 +10

Mr. Speaker,

This bill is an assault on state rights stripping state legislatures of the ability to control labor. I motion for unanimous consent in opposition.

I yield

I’m going to ask the gentleman from New York or perhaps the parliamentarian for assistance. Can someone site for me the place for unanimous consent in opposition? If it’s there I’ll accept it. If not, I’m not going to recognize a motion that can’t be made. 

Mr. Speaker,

Regardless of the legitimacy of the motion, I will object to it.

I yield

5 hours ago, Jsawrie said:

I’m going to ask the gentleman from New York or perhaps the parliamentarian for assistance. Can someone site for me the place for unanimous consent in opposition? If it’s there I’ll accept it. If not, I’m not going to recognize a motion that can’t be made. 

Mr. Speaker,

Y'all did it last session.

I yield.

Edited by TexAgRepublican

Mr. Speaker,

You love to talk about how inconsistent we are on states' rights, yet somehow this makes its way to the floor. Trying to blow up my state's labor laws. Unreal. 

I yield. 

Edited by TexAgRepublican

The gentleman from Texas will address this chair with the respect it has earned. There are plenty of bills that I don’t necessarily agree with all aspects of. every bill that has made it to this floor, did so because I wanted to give equal access to the floor. If the gentleman doesn’t like my decision to give equal access, he can vote his conscience and debate it out, or he can politely remove himself. Either way is fine with me. I picked bills because I wanted them debated. I don’t have to justify that decision to the gentleman from Texas. But next time he has a problem with the docket, he can approach me and ask.

Debate continues

Mr. Speaker,

This is nothing but an attempt to take away the rights of state legislatures to make their own labor laws. Not only is it a violation of states' rights, it will hurt the worker in the long run, and most definitely hurt business. There is nothing to gain from this bill and everything to lose.

I yield.

On 10/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, Kurt Faulhammer said:

Mr. Speaker,

This bill is an assault on state rights stripping state legislatures of the ability to control labor. I motion for unanimous consent in opposition.

I yield

On 10/7/2018 at 6:21 PM, Jsawrie said:

No such motion exists.....Therefore the motion cannot be entertained.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:13 AM, Jsawrie said:

The gentleman from Texas will address this chair with the respect it has earned. There are plenty of bills that I don’t necessarily agree with all aspects of. every bill that has made it to this floor, did so because I wanted to give equal access to the floor. If the gentleman doesn’t like my decision to give equal access, he can vote his conscience and debate it out, or he can politely remove himself. Either way is fine with me. I picked bills because I wanted them debated. I don’t have to justify that decision to the gentleman from Texas. But next time he has a problem with the docket, he can approach me and ask.

Debate continues

No need to get power hungry @Jsawrie. He properly addressed the chair and yielded. Nothing he did was unparliamentary.

Edited by Shiggy