TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Nubbie

Southwest Territory Act

2nd Congress

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE UNITED STATES

Mr. Poindexter, for himself, introduced,

A BILL,

An act for the Government of the Territory of the United Slates, south of the river Ohio

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

Section 1. - Title

(A) This act shall be titled as the Southwest Territory Act

Section 2. - Implementation

(A) The territory of the United States south of the river Ohio, for the purposes of temporary government, shall be one district; the inhabitants of which shall enjoy all the privileges, benefits and advantages set forth in the ordinance of the late Congress, for the government of the territory of the United States northwest of the river Ohio. And the government of the said territory south of the Ohio, shall be similar to that which is now exercised in the territory northwest of the Ohio. 

Section 3. - Officers

(A) That the salaries of the officers, which the President of the United States, shall nominate, and with the advice and consent of the Senate appoint, by virtue of this act, shall be the same as those, by law established, of similar officers in the government northwest of the river Ohio. And the powers, duties and emoluments of a superintendent of Indian affairs for the southern department, shall be united with those of the governor.

GAVEL

The House is now in session. The following bill will be debated for no more than 72 hours.

Mr. Speaker,

I object to the motion for unanimous consent.  Many lands south of the Ohio river are under Indian control and it seems that this measure may lead to further antagonisms between our nation and the various tribes in those lands, leading in turn to further raids and deaths.  At this time, we should be working to develop the lands and territories our nation holds, rather than recklessly expanding with no plan for the administration and defense of such new territories.

I yield.

10 hours ago, LM32 said:

Mr. Speaker,

I motion for unanimous approval.

I yield.

2 hours ago, Magenta said:

Mr. Speaker,

I object to the motion for unanimous consent.  Many lands south of the Ohio river are under Indian control and it seems that this measure may lead to further antagonisms between our nation and the various tribes in those lands, leading in turn to further raids and deaths.  At this time, we should be working to develop the lands and territories our nation holds, rather than recklessly expanding with no plan for the administration and defense of such new territories.

I yield.

Noted

Debate continues.

Mr. Speaker,

These lands are already under the control of the federal government, as ceded by the State of North Carolina.  This bill just seeks to organize these territories as opposed to having unofficial governments that have existed in these areas before. Furthermore, this is basically doing the same as the Northwest Ordinance, which was passed in 1787 that created the Northwest Territory. As far as the Indian problem goes, I seek to work with this newly established territory when it is formed to find a solution.

I yield.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:41 PM, Shiggy said:

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED

3 aye

1 nay

2 abstaining

@Bruce Tally the votes

Southwest Territory Act
  Federalists Republicans Independents Total
Aye 17 13 9 39
Nay 6   10 16
Abstain 1   6 7