TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Jsawrie

Knox Townhall in Cedar Rapids

Hello Speaker Knox,

I'm interested in your thoughts on minimum wage. I work a job that makes just over the national minimum, and it would make a huge difference for me if that was raised, but I also want to stay employed. What do you think is the best path forward?

Yep. Made mistakes and have corrected them. Not perfect, if you want a perfect person, don’t vote for me

16 hours ago, Wm96 said:

Hello Speaker Knox,

I'm interested in your thoughts on minimum wage. I work a job that makes just over the national minimum, and it would make a huge difference for me if that was raised, but I also want to stay employed. What do you think is the best path forward?

That’s a really hard call. Because you’re exactly right, the cost of increasing the minimums is that businesses are likely to hire less or spread the hours out. We saw that with Obamacare when businesses had to provide coverage for full time work, the full time jobs collapsed so businesses didn’t have to provide. I’d like to see it raised slowly, but more importantly I think we need to make sure folks like you have the ability to learn new skills where you qualify for better wages. I’ve spoken often about educational policies that will help with that. This is where the Senator from Montana and I disagree. He wants to go for a $14/hr bump very quickly. I’m more hesitant with what that will do to businesses, especially small businesses that drive our economy

You sometimes have been accused of being too conservative for a democratic primary. How will you appeal to your democratic base in order to get them to come out and vote?