TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Shiggy

Private Journal of Jay Johnstone

Entry 1: I am proud and exited to be a part of this first congress. I have high hopes for this new experiment in liberty

entry 2: I am surprised yet honored that my bill of rights was voted through congress and signed by President Washington. My entire focus was the preservation of liberty for all citizens of these United States from the government. Even though I am a federalist, I also see the fear of some anti-federalists that a central government too powerful would become the same tyranny as that of King George. These 10 amendments will ensure that no such king, president or ruler could ever gain such unchecked power and allow the rights of the people to be infringed. I am glad that this measure was seen positively by both federalists and republicans. 

entry 3: As much as most of these men in congress were present as we signed the declaration of independence and affirmed that all men are created equal with certain unalienable rights, those same men are now protecting a immoral and inconsistent stance on slavery. Even in Britain....there is increased opposition to slavery. I fear that this issue will become a divisive issue that will split some state delegates and some states from others......especially among the north and south. I simply cannot see how the same men who affirmed that all men are given unalienable rights given to them by God, can then turn around and enslave their fellow man. I pray that more men will have the moral fortitude to address this issue instead of cowering in the name of political unity. I realize that my anti-slavery legislation is unpopular among southern state-delegates, but nonetheless, I cannot be silent on this grave moral evil. 

I believe I can do more good in Massachusetts rather than arguing with southerners who will never see it the same way as myself and fellow Bostonians.

Sign in to follow this