TedderVision
ILDem

Bennett meets with Union Leaders

Bennett travels to Davenport to meet with the AFL-CIO to answer questions concerning his run for President. 

Jason Welsh, Steel Workers union Member

Mr.Bennett,

Many of us aren't exactly sure where you stand on unions could you please state your position?

Hi Senator Bennett,

Where do you stand on repealing right to work? It’s in the house right now and it’d really help workers in those states.

6 hours ago, Batman said:

Jason Welsh, Steel Workers union Member

Mr.Bennett,

Many of us aren't exactly sure where you stand on unions could you please state your position?

Thank you for your question. Indeed, this is an issue that didn't quite come up in my Senate Race as much as I would like. 

I'm a proud supporter of collective bargaining and as Governor of West Virginia I fought against Right to Work.

Without unions we would not have a middle class. In a Bennett administration, organized labor would have an unwavering advocate. 

1 hour ago, Wm96 said:

Hi Senator Bennett,

Where do you stand on repealing right to work? It’s in the house right now and it’d really help workers in those states.

Hello, thanks for the question. I'm 100% for repealing Right to Work for Less. *chuckles* 

In all seriousness, this is an issue I feel very passionate about, it's very personal for me. I fought off Right to Work as Governor of West Virginia.. unfortunately my successor signed it into law. 

As President, under my Worker's Bill of Rights, repealing Right to Work will become a reality. 

Alex Lurman Leader of Miners Workers Union in Virginia,

Could you expand upon what you mean by being an unwavering advocate of organized labor, as well as how you would ensure business give unions the rights and respect they deserve?

2 minutes ago, Batman said:

Could you expand upon what you mean by being an unwavering advocate of organized labor, as well as how you would ensure business give unions the rights and respect they deserve?

Certainly. Being an unwavering advocate of organized labor means exactly how it reads.  While some Democrats in the past have embraced anti-worker legislation by means of triangulation, I will listen to organized labor instead of the establishment think-tanks that brought us inconsistent immigration and trade policies.  

And ensuring businesses give unions respect will come by repealing Right to Work, which has been just plain bad for working people.

As a follow-up sir, you've spoken about ending right to work, but aside from that does your campaign have any other pledges to help support unions? 

2 hours ago, Batman said:

As a follow-up sir, you've spoken about ending right to work, but aside from that does your campaign have any other pledges to help support unions? 

There are two major pledges that will be included in my Workers Bill of Rights. 

First, make it easier to form a union, with a simple majority of workers voting up or down. 

Right now, long delays and procedural hurdles give big employers plenty of time to whip up campaigns against unions, even threatening they’ll close down and move somewhere else if a union is voted in. 

Second, build in real penalties on companies that violate labor laws by firing workers who try to organize a union or intimidating others. 

These moves are illegal, but nowadays the worst that can happen is employers get slapped on the wrist. If found guilty they have to repay lost wages to the workers they fire. Some employers treat this as a cost of doing business. That must be stopped.  Penalties should be large enough to stop this illegality. 

Mr. Bennett,

You voted for the Fair Trade with China Enforcement Act that your opponent wants to keep off the House floor. Are you a candidate that will stick up for workers against Chinese economic aggression?

16 minutes ago, Kurt Faulhammer said:

Mr. Bennett,

You voted for the Fair Trade with China Enforcement Act that your opponent wants to keep off the House floor. Are you a candidate that will stick up for workers against Chinese economic aggression?

I voted for the Fair Trade bill because I am very concerned with actions by the Chinese government and the way we get the raw end of so called free trade deals. 

Mr. Knox and I disagree on this issue. He leans towards free trade while I think that unfettered free trade has been a disaster for the working class. Organized labor must have a better say on these trade agreements. 

5 minutes ago, ILDem said:

I voted for the Fair Trade bill because I am very concerned with actions by the Chinese government and the way we get the raw end of so called free trade deals. 

Mr. Knox and I disagree on this issue. He leans towards free trade while I think that unfettered free trade has been a disaster for the working class. Organized labor must have a better say on these trade agreements. 

Mr. Bennett,

if you may take a follow up question, how was the T-TIP different as a free trade deal than say stuff anti-free trade advocates usually condemn like the TPP and NAFTA for you to vote for it?

23 minutes ago, Kurt Faulhammer said:

Mr. Bennett,

if you may take a follow up question, how was the T-TIP different as a free trade deal than say stuff anti-free trade advocates usually condemn like the TPP and NAFTA for you to vote for it?

Certainly. T-TIP included worker and environmental protections that were lacking in previous trade deals.