TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Nubbie

The Daily Standard

The Daily Standard, bringing you articles reporting news from Washington and the popular "The Standard" podcast.

Hey gang, welcome to The Standard podcast, I'm Sean Rushford. We're going to have a great show today, gonna talk about a few topics, and get to the bottom of what it all means. I was going to talk about the Virginia senate race, but before we get that, lets talk about what Representative John Alexander from Colorado said today. It's almost outrageous. So he has basically said we should completely abolish the electoral college in favor of a popular vote. Now to someone not versed in the way our system works, this sounds like a wonderful idea, one person one vote, and everyone is hunky dory. Well lets pick this apart for a bit. He basically says the Electoral College is undemocratic and takes the power out of voters hands. That's simply not even close to the truth. Not once, in the history of the United States have the electors conspired to go against what the voters of their states selected in the popular vote. Furthermore, back in 2000 on election night when it came down to Florida, we weren't talking about what the Electors were going to do, we were talking about the popular vote of the state of Florida. It came down to like 500 something votes, which would then determine who the 27 electoral votes of Florida would go to. Speaking of Florida in 2000, imagine if a national election came down to being incredibly close, a few hundred votes. Nothing would get done. We'd be in a gridlock of legal battles trying to figure who our next President would be. The Electoral College gives us certainty of the outcome, if there is a tie, it goes to the House of Representatives, which is elected by, look at that, popular vote. There's so many arguments, but I'll only touch on what I think is important.

Next, lets think about 1968 or even 1992, most people can remember the 92 election rather than the 68. But what's the common theme with those two elections? There was a strong third candidate. Now, Nixon in 1968 and Clinton in 1992 both had only a 43 percent plurality of the popular votes. That's no where near a majority of the people. What did Nixon and Clinton get in electoral votes? 301 and 370 electoral votes, respectively. In Clinton's case especially, that is an absolute landslide. Before I spend the whole program today talking about this, I just want to make one final point. Alexander says, and I quote, "When you have a system i in a democracy where 6 Californian voters have the same power as 1 Wyoming voter, that is not democracy. That is madness." No sir, it isn't. California has 55 electoral votes, where Wyoming has 3. It would take 18 and a half Wyomings to counteract California's effect on the electoral college.

Okay final thing I'm going to talk about today, the Senate race in Virginia. So some guy named Jared Taylor is running for the Republican nomination. I had never heard of the guy until this week. I did some research as I always do before I speak on a subject, and I find much of what he says reprehensible. I do not agree with anything he says, nor do I think he should be in  position of power, full stop, bar none. To make a long story short, he believes that White are more intelligent than other races, blah blah blah, stuff I do not agree with and I won't repeat here because I do not want to give him a soapbox here. So what do Democrats do? They go an attack the national Republicans, basically saying they aren't doing enough to stop him. Well is that up to the National GOP? No, it's not, they certainly don't have to endorse him, but if he files the correct paperwork in the State of Virginia to run, then he is allowed to run. No matter how reprehensible his words and actions, he's allowed to run. It's what makes America, America. And you know another thing? People have the right to not vote for him. You don't have to vote for a racist. There are other candidates. Another Republican could come along and defeat him in the primary. Vote third party, vote Democratic, but there's nothing saying you have to vote for a racist. Nothing. You know another thing. In Virginia, primaries are open. If the Democrats are galvanized, they can vote in the Republican primary, and vote against him. They can vote against him in the general election. But one thing is certain, its not up to the Republicans in other states to babysit what happens in a PRIMARY in another state. Lets take a rational look at this, take a deep breath, and know that decency still wins in this country, and Jared Taylor will more than likely not be the next senator from Virginia.

That's all the time we got today, thanks for listening and I'll see you next week.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this