TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Shiggy

Cultural Simulation Act.

Mr. Tyson NY -3, and Mr Johnstone MA-1 submit for themselves

A BILL

To help establish American Exceptionalism and to prevent the condescension and ridicule of nations that think of us as uncultured, uncivilized, and undeserving, the United States will add a recurring stimulus to the entertainment industry in the form of $600,000 a year. Thus we will be able to produce quality literature, plays, music, and poetry just like all the other civilized nations in the world, and will be shown the respect that this grand experiment of a nation truly deserves.

GAVEL

The House is now in session. The following bill will be debated for no more than 72 hours.

Mr. Speaker, 

While the intentions of this act are pure, I question the need for it. We should focus our fiscal resources on necessary means first. Then and only then should we put money into programs like these.

I yield

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Mr. Speaker, 

While the intentions of this act are pure, I question the need for it. We should focus our fiscal resources on necessary means first. Then and only then should we put money into programs like these.

I yield

Mr. Speaker, 

The government can do both. They are not mutually exclusive. I also propose using tax money for the purpose of nationalizing roads especially between states in order to increase commerce between states.

I yield

Mr. Speaker,

I feel as if the Federal Government has better things to spend money on. We should focus on the national debt before we start giving federal money to entertainment. The entertainment industry can survive without federal assistance.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

Every single great nation in the history of the world has been the cultural powerhouse. How can this experiment ever hope to be on the same footing as those countries in Europe if we don't develop our values in our entertainment? What will be our Oddysy or Iliad? Our Macbeth? Or possibly our Divine Comedy? The only way we can ever hope to succeed is by instilling culture, the same way the Romans and Greeks, the English and the French, and the Chinese Empire all did.

I rest.

Mr. Speaker,

And none of these programs were government funded. Shakespeare didn't have government assistance, nor did Homer. Culture is not something you can throw money at and expect to happen. Our nation is young and, in time, I believe all of this will come naturally just as it did in Ancient Greece, Rome, and England. It's not something we need to fund.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

Well my colleague is right. None of those were government sponsored, but we are different. Rome, Greece, England. They never were a colony, squashed and tyrannized by their oppressors! Do we ride on the left as they do in England? We have since the beginning taken strides to keep our culture different from the monarchs across the pond. This bill would simply be the next step to prevent our books, our plays, the thoughts that dance through our children's heads from being English. How could we go so far and not pay the slight cost to completely purge the evil left in our society from which we have sprung? How could we be a city on a hill for all the rest to look up to if we do not show are differences from the rest?

I yield.

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

England was at one time a colony of the Roman Empire, and London was not but a small village. Does England have a society where their book, plays, and even the thoughts of children there are Roman in nature? I think not. It will take time, but as you can see, books are already being written in this country. Shall I go to the Dock Street Theater in Charleston and tell them that there's no culture in this country? They'd certainly be taken by surprise as they've been putting on plays for 50 years now, and they certainly didn't need government assistance. My colleague speaks that we must completely purge the evil left in our society when he speaks of the English. Should Shakespeare's works be banned in this country simply because he was English? I think not, that goes against everything in which we have fought for, and with that being said I feel as if there are other motives to this bill in which I cannot support.

I yield.

Edited by Nubbie
Grammar

Mr. Speaker, 

My colleague has just made a grave insinuation on the floor of our government, violating the rules for how we are supposed to conduct ourselves, so that he could score political points in his quest to become President. Not only is this accusation hurtful and against the rules, it is absolutely incorrect! He insinuates that because my company is invested in entertainment, that I cannot be impartial, yet one of our colleagues owns nearly twice as many investments in that industry and has voted down this bill before. In addition, I am not running that company, in the same way that I am not running the popular paper, The American Federalist, and neither is anybody from my family, a practice that is not entirely practiced by our colleagues and is not necessary, nor should it be. I am not involved in the decisions that my company makes, whether it is on the issue of entertainment or slavery. I demand that our colleague retracts his statement, issues a public apology, and be punished as the rules state for breaking the conventions of our Congress.

I yield.

10 hours ago, Nubbie said:

Mr. Speaker,

England was at one time a colony of the Roman Empire, and London was not but a small village. Does England have a society where their book, plays, and even the thoughts of children there are Roman in nature? I think not. It will take time, but as you can see, books are already being written in this country. Shall I go to the Dock Street Theater in Charleston and tell them that there's no culture in this country? They'd certainly be taken by surprise as they've been putting on plays for 50 years now, and they certainly didn't need government assistance. My colleague speaks that we must completely purge the evil left in our society when he speaks of the English. Should Shakespeare's works be banned in this country simply because he was English? I think not, that goes against everything in which we have fought for, and with that being said I feel as if there are other motives to this bill in which I cannot support.

I yield.

SPEAKER: The gentleman is cautioned not to make unparliamentary insinuations about the character of another member. 

Mr. Speaker,

In no way was I insinuating anything about my colleague's company or profit, nor was I even aware that he had a company. I was more concerned about banning certain things because it comes from England. This goes against the Constitution, and limits free speech, therefore I won't retract my statements, nor do I think an apology is in order.

I yield.