TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Enlistment Order

Esteemed Delegates,

Today I write you to ask you to authorize the enlistment of 5000 regulars and an additional 5000 militia to begin general training in order to be prepared for any situation that arises. The militia will be placed in reserve to do yearly training at a time and date to be determined. The regulars will immediately move from training to regular service. I ask you to allow this authorization to be continuous to ensure when enlistments end that new individuals can take their place.

/s/

Governor Patrick Owens

Congresses failure to authorize the creation of the armed forces has led to a potentially dire situation so there are two main purposes for this request. One, we risk being vulnerable to attack. It is imperative that we be able to defend ourselves from foreign powers to the East and Natives to the West. Two, to defend our states interest in any event. Its better to be prepared, rather then to react unprepared. Should the Delegates be so inclined I believe we should also authorize the construction of three frigates (Think Original Six), one with 44 guns and two with 36, to defend our coastline. But that may be a debate for another day.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:20 PM, Michael said:

Esteemed Delegates,

Today I write you to ask you to authorize the enlistment of 5000 regulars and an additional 5000 militia to begin general training in order to be prepared for any situation that arises. The militia will be placed in reserve to do yearly training at a time and date to be determined. The regulars will immediately move from training to regular service. I ask you to allow this authorization to be continuous to ensure when enlistments end that new individuals can take their place.

/s/

Governor Patrick Owens

VIRGINIA: Permanent Enlistment Order
  Federalists Republicans Independents Total
Aye 35   5 40
Nay   45 5 50
Abstain     10 10

The motion fails. One legislator notes that with the federal government sending troops to the Northwest Territory and Kentucky achieving statehood, the threat to Virginia from native tribes is already subsiding. In other words, it's someone else's problem and the Legislature doesn't want to foot the bill. A Republican legislator shows great disdain for the idea of standing troops during peacetime.

Would the legislature authorize a smaller amount? Without a Federal army there the threat will never be subsided. Looking particularly at the Independents who voted against and abstained. What would the legislature like to see increased taxes? Infrastructure bill? With Owens America getting into the Arms Manufacturing business we could work out an agreement to arm the soldiers at a discounted rate.

Sign in to follow this