TedderVision

Greetings all,

I thought I’d pop in and introduce myself. I’m a British polsimmer (or govsimmer, if you like) with plenty of experience of the old UK polsims - Rule Britannia and PolUK.

I’ve never really played a US sim before and it’s all quite different, so I’d appreciate some pointers on getting started.

IRL I’m socially and economically liberal (in the British sense of the word) - I believe in free markets and free people. The freest possible economy and the freest possible society. Not sure whether to play as a moderate Republican or a Democrat.

Guess I’m not sure what a UK liberal is. Let me ask these land maybe I can help

ProUnion or ProEmployeer

should the government tighten gun regulations

should marijuana (the stickiest of the ickiest) be legal?

shoulf the government address climate change? How?

When I use the word “liberal,” I’m referring to classical liberalism. If you prefer, the term “libertarian” might be appropriate. I’m very right-wing on the economy but very liberal on social issues. I’m a socially liberal Thatcherite, I guess.

Personally, as a Briton, I obviously believe in gun control. I believe in legalising and regulating marijuana.

But my real-world views won’t necessarily inform my character’s views - that’s the point of roleplaying, after all! And I recognise that the American political climate is different to that of Britain. For instance, I’m a member of the Conservative Party, an atheist, and a public sector employee. I struggle to imagine a Republican atheist in the public sector, so naturally my character will not be a carbon copy of me.

20 minutes ago, Jim Coaver said:

Do I jump straight in and create a character?

The new round isn't quite open just yet but in a few days you may. 

7 hours ago, Jim Coaver said:

When I use the word “liberal,” I’m referring to classical liberalism. If you prefer, the term “libertarian” might be appropriate. I’m very right-wing on the economy but very liberal on social issues. I’m a socially liberal Thatcherite, I guess.

Personally, as a Briton, I obviously believe in gun control. I believe in legalising and regulating marijuana.

But my real-world views won’t necessarily inform my character’s views - that’s the point of roleplaying, after all! And I recognise that the American political climate is different to that of Britain. For instance, I’m a member of the Conservative Party, an atheist, and a public sector employee. I struggle to imagine a Republican atheist in the public sector, so naturally my character will not be a carbon copy of me.

Dems usually play a “big tent” so we have those fiscal conservative social liberals. 

GOP have GENERALLY played Nationalistic (UKIP) but I don’t want to assume that’s their plan

Greetings all,

I thought I’d pop in and introduce myself. I’m a British polsimmer (or govsimmer, if you like) with plenty of experience of the old UK polsims - Rule Britannia and PolUK.

I’ve never really played a US sim before and it’s all quite different, so I’d appreciate some pointers on getting started.

IRL I’m socially and economically liberal (in the British sense of the word) - I believe in free markets and free people. The freest possible economy and the freest possible society. Not sure whether to play as a moderate Republican or a Democrat.

Welcome to our humble game. We always welcome you chaps from across the pond (even @Macmillan:P). You came just in the middle of a reset, so our new round will not start for a few more days. Until then you can post int eh cloak room or general chat. Feel free to ask questions about the game and U.S politics. 

As far as political party......I would probably say that you fit in as a middle to middle-moderate democrat. 

But my real-world views won’t necessarily inform my character’s views - that’s the point of roleplaying, after all!

I see that several people are ignoring this... 😂

7 hours ago, Jim Coaver said:

But my real-world views won’t necessarily inform my character’s views - that’s the point of roleplaying, after all!

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

I see that several people are ignoring this... 😂

Good point. 

@Jim Coaver........You can sim as anybody you want. You do not have to make a character or pick a party based on your own political views IRL. I have played as a leftist democrat, a moderate democrat, and a moderate republican and a far right conservative. 

8 hours ago, Jim Coaver said:

Greetings all,

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing how you fit in to the political landscape! I think you'll find our U.S. politics very different from European politics.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice.

I’ve decided I’ll play as a moderate Democrat. I tend to find in these polsims that both main parties end up plagued by extremists! Perhaps I can provide some counterbalance.

By way of a proper introduction, some may know me from UK polsims as James Whitelaw or Matthew Kemp. I’ve served as Conservative Prime Minister many times and Labour Prime Minister once or twice. I’ve been playing these games since 2010; predominantly the two (now defunct) British polsims - Rule Britannia and PolUK. My only experience of a US sim was many years ago when I briefly played a game called “On The Hill.”

I see a few familiar faces. I know and have worked with and against Jellybeans! And MacMillan and I know each other reasonably well from the British sims.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Edited by Jim Coaver
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TexAgRepublican said:

He wasn't a fiscal conservative

Economic populist social conservative.  Think I'll be sticking with that mold this round too.  

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.