TedderVision
Dogslife

Erick Travere (D-IN) Press Office

Erick Travere

Today I have the pleasure to sign the Police Camera Act. This act will require all law enforcement officers to wear body cameras.

This is a great bill I’m happy to sign because body cameras will reduce the amount of excessive force used by police officers. This bill will also protect the rights of good, law-abiding police officers and citizens. Video evidence can go towards clearing a police officer of a claim and it can go towards proving a civilian didn’t, or did commit a crime. 

So I’d like to thank the Midwestern Legislature for sending this bill to my desk by a Unanimous vote and I look forward to signing more of these great bills.

View full PR

Erick Travere

Today I have introduced the Midwestern Equality Act. This bill will do a few things. Among them are it will prohibit all discrimination based on the basis of sexual orientation, sexual identity, race, and gender in housing and employment. As David Cicilline once said, in too many states an LGBTQ person can get married Saturday, post pictures of their wedding on Facebook Sunday, and get kicked out of their apartment and fired on Monday. This bill will make that illegal here in the Midwest. It’s about time we stop treating the LGBTQ as second class citizens. In our Midwest, we should all have equal rights and equal treatment.

View full PR

It's good to keep the public and press informed about what you're doing in the regional legislature. Telling them why you're trying to accomplish it is a good idea, too. Police cameras are broadly popular; while there is some resentment from some police forces about the possible surveillance, many are accepting of the prospect of improving police reputation and exoneration in the future.

Each of these provisions is generally popular with progressives and moderates. Some business-minded conservatives view the minimum wage issue as trampling on their economic freedoms, while others suggest that a $9.25/hr may be inappropriately high for most places in the Midwest, outside of select few places with higher cost of living. Let's see how it plays out.

It's good that you clarified that this is your position for the Presidential campaign as it may be rather difficult for you to push these proposals in the Midwest legislature and would make things extremely awkward for the handful of conservative Democrats in your regional caucus.  National progressives enjoy these proposals, as anything that makes getting guns more difficult is usually seen as a plus. Moderates feel that it's good you want to do something about the gun violence issue, although they are not necessarily on board with any or all of these specific items. Conservatives are repulsed by all of these proposals for one reason or another.

@Bruce

Erick Travere

Today we have witnessed a travesty here in the Midwestern Legislature. They have just voted 51-49, a party-line vote, to kill the Midwestern Workers Bill of Rights Act. That bill would've given the workers of the Midwest many protections that they do not have currently. These protections and privileges include required paid vacation time, protections against sexual harassment in the workplace, an increase to the minimum wage, required paid overtime, 40 hour work weeks, and required days of rest after 7 days of work. All of these help workers. The Republicans here in the Midwest do not care about workers though. All they care about are big businesses. 

The midwestern democratic party is different. Time after time we have fought to protect the rights of workers with bills like the Midwestern Union Bill and the worker's bill of rights. The union bill was killed after the GOP injected, by a 51-49 party-line vote, a right to work section. Midwesterners time and time again have shown that they do not like and that they do not want right to work. They have shown this by joining unions and by overwhelmingly voting against a pro-right to work gubernatorial candidate. Now they vote against a bill that should be bi-partisan. I do not know how a legislative member can, in good conscience, vote against a bill that gives basic rights to workers. There is nothing in the bill that is controversial. Unless you call protections against sexual harassment controversial. 

The only argument placed against the bill was that an obscure 1900's bill supposedly already did some of the things in this bill. Though if you do a little more digging you can see that neither bill cited by Granata protects domestic workers. The only argument put forth was just a misinformed and misleading lie. Granata even admits that neither of the federal bills gives mandatory vacation time, a living wage minimum wage, or gives a mandatory day of rest. 

It is clear that the GOP isn't just anti-worker, they're anti-compromise. Any bill with a democratic name next to it is a bill they immediately vote nay on. Before Granata was removed as Majority leader he even came out against the Flint Crisis Act, a bill that sent money to help the people of Flint, Michigan. They are obstructionists. They won't even vote for things that they probably like. I'll give you some examples of things that were defeated by a 51-49 party-line vote: Midwestern Bill of Rights Act, I've already talked about how absurd it was to vote against this so I don't think I need to repeat myself, Midwestern Labor Relations Act, a bill that gave rights to unionized workers, killed by the obstructionist GOP, CVAS Act, automatic voter registration was torn from the bill despite the facts that it would increase participation in elections and save the region millions of dollars. And that's just some of the things they have blocked. 

This isn't a problem of lack of compromise by Dems or a radical agenda, the problem is Republicans in the legislature blocking nearly all dem bills no matter how much public support there is behind it. The GOP right now represents everything that is wrong with politics; they are uninformed, obstructionist, radical, unhinged, and disconnected with the people. We must change the system. We can change the system. We have a chance this November to change the composition of the legislature. We just need to flip 1 seat and then we will be able to pass bills giving the right to unionize, the right to good education, equality, a fair electoral system, the right to vacation days. These aren't radical far left ideas like what Ocasio-Cortez wants to do. These are simple, bi-partisan, moderate positions. So remember, this November, vote blue down the ticker, let's get our regional government functioning again and lets elect some people who will give basic rights to our workers and who will fight for the power of unions. The GOP has shown time and time again that they are not willing to give workers rights, lets show them what democracy looks like and lets vote them the hell out of here!

View full PR

Macmillian knocks out a former rival for the Presidential nomination and immediately picks up an endorsement from that former rival. This makes Travere seem gracious in defeat and Macmillian attracting support from the Midwest should be a plus in his Presidential bid, as that region is often crucial in any Presidential election.

@Bruce

Touting an accomplish is sound politics. Giving push-back to some GOP efforts to thwart your efforts seems reasonable in these circumstances and is enhanced by the tone you used.

Similar to the previous PR, it's good to talk about what you're signing into law. Dinging the GOP for making this their #2 item does seem reasonable. Voters do feel it's good to address issues related to 'regionalizing' previous state matters, this really wasn't a high priority for many voters, regardless of ideology.

A nice quick hit on what you're accomplishing as Governor and why you're trying to accomplish it. Providing two viewpoints on how cameras can help both police and civilians makes you sound reasonable and even-handed, which appeals to moderates greatly.

Progressives are excited about this, conservatives are upset about infringing on freedom of association, and moderates await to hear arguments that will determine how they go on this matter.

This is speech is effective at what it's trying to accomplish: rally Democratic voters in preparation for the regional midterms. You lay out several items that are largely popular with the Dem base, and to a lesser extent with moderates, and contrast it with the Republicans. You make claims about the good that could have been done and lay out why people need to vote Republicans out of office so that the people can have those good things. Some progressives are a bit upset that you call Ocasio-Cortez far left as they rather like her, but they still agree with most everything else you said.

Erick Travere

Today we have truly seen the Midwestern GOP’s inconpetence on display. We can see this because today they introduced the Second Amendment Guarentee Act. This act has no business being in our regional legislature. If you read the bill, it try’s to amend federal United States Code. For those of you who don’t know much about government, a regional government cannot do that. Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt and forgive them for that breech of the US constitution, you can find another breech in the text of the bill if you look at what it effects, interstate commerce. The regional legislature has no business dealing in interstate commerce. 

Even so, the bill completely tramples states rights. It makes it so states can effectively not regulate weapons at all what so ever. That is dangerous and tyrannical. The moment this bill makes it to the floor I will he motioning to table based on it’s unconstitutional nature and the fact it will trample states rights.

View full PR

• Thanks 1

Erick Travere

Recently I have introduced a bill that will provide $5,000,000 dollars in funding to our local schools to pay for more mental health professionals and mental health services in our schools. There is a silent epidemic going on in our region. An epidemic of depression, anxiety, and trauma in children. We need this government to take action to help them all. But we cannot stop there, we have to end the stigma of mental health. We cannot anymore think that being depressed makes someone week or that it is not “manly” to cry. This stigma hurts everyone and helps no one. So today I call on you, the people of the Midwest, let’s start a conversation. Let’s make ourselves open to the discussion of mental health issues in our community. Only when we all come together and really try can we end this stigma. I thank the GOP majority for joining me and my caucus in this fight and I look forward to signing the bill the moment it arrives on my desk.

View full PR

• Thanks 1

For immediate release-

Well, apparently the GOP finally remembered what level of government they were in because they have completely changed the bill after I pointed out what was wrong and unconstitutional about it. But I shouldn’t have had to. The GOP should’ve realized what bill they were introducing before they introduced the bill. 

I will still not be supporting this new bill. This is for simple reasons 

1, it makes it so the Midwestern Legislature cannot pass ANY regulation on rifles or shotguns whatsoever. None. That is dangerous and irresponsible. The second amendment states “well regulated militia”, it does not say “a militia with no regulations.” 

2, It also makes it so no locality can pass any regulations on rifles or shotguns. That means cities like Chicago or Detroit cannot try to stop the gun violence epidemic in those cities. The bill also makes it so all previous regulations are now void. 

So basically this bill is radical. That’s sums it all up really. If it passes it will endanger the lives of every single person in the Midwest. The second ammendment says that a militia should be well regulated. This bill kills all past and future regulation and every level of local government. I will urge my colleagues to vote against this bill and if it makes it to my desk I will veto it.

• Thanks 1

Today I have introduced a bill, the Fair Election Redistricting Act or FERA, to the regional legislature that will end gerrymandering in this region for congressional seats. The bill will do this by creating a commission of Republican, Democrat, and independent people, not politicians or lobbyists, to create district boundaries. Gerrymandering has been a stain on our government for far too long and it’s time we end it in this region once and for all. Our people should be choosing our representatives not the other way around. This bill will do just that. I will be bringing it to the floor and I hope that our regional legislature will send it to my desk as soon as possible.

Today I have signed the k-12 mental health act. I am glad that today I can help lead the fight to help our children. We need to help fund efforts to fight against teen depression, suicide, and mental illness. Our children need us. This law will put this funding towards those children. I would like to send a thanks to the Midwestern Legislature for sending this bill to my desk as soon as possible.

Hello all, today I am officially announcing my endorsement of Craig Daniels for Senate of our great region. Mr Daniels is the right person for this job plain and simple. He cares about every single citizen. He cares about those who are sick and he proves this by supporting medi choice to lower insurance premiums and create more jobs. He has shown he cares about farmers by standing against trumps harmful tarrifs that are killing our local farmers. And most importantly, in my opinion, he has stood for unions and against right to work. He knows that unions help our work force and he knows that our workers need unions to get better benefits. In short, Daniels cares about everyone, in November I will be proud to vote for him for senate if our great region and I will be proud to work with him as both of us work together for our region.