TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Sovereign

Ken Bowers (D-WV) Press Office

Ken Bowers

Bowers Blasts Blythe-Pinnacle for War Resolution

Related image

Rep. Ken Bowers came out today in a press conference blasting Arkansas Congresswoman Mary Blythe-Pinnacle over a highly controversial House resolution in which the Congresswoman called for a state of war between the United States and the Russian Federation. 

"You know, my younger brother fought for this country in Iraq. He lost the eyesight in his left eye. Others, they weren't so lucky. Five sons and daughters of West Virginia didn't come home at all. Mary Blythe-Pinnacle makes a mockery of their sacrifice by using a call to war as a political tool. Freedom ain't free, but it won't be Mary Blythe-Pinnacle paying the price."

When pressed on the issue of Russian interference, Bowers said, "All this talk of no-fly zones and declarations of war, it's insanity. We're playing with fire. At this rate, I'd say our own politicians are more a threat to our way of life than Vladimir Putin could ever hope to be."

View full PR

Ken Bowers

From the Office of Representative Kenneth R. Bowers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Today, House Representative Ken Bowers introduced an amendment to the Rebuilding America's Infrastructure Act which would create the American Employment Administration, an agency tasked with finding workers for future public works programs.

"This infrastructure bill is just good sense. There's no question about it. Our roads and bridges are crumbling underneath our feet. But I think more could be done with it. It's one thing to send in people from other states to fix everything while the taxpayers at home foot the bill. That's not what I want. I want to put that money back in the pockets of working West Virginians. These are out-of-work coal miners, timber workers, people who've worked with their hands all their life. Let's let them rebuild their home state. That's what the American Employment program is about."

When asked whether this could be expanded as a full-on federal jobs guarantee program, Bowers responded as such.

"I think it's possible, definitely. No one wants to be on welfare, it's a humiliation. But what people in Washington need to understand is that when there's no jobs around, it's their only option to feed their families. When a person is on welfare, it's not their failing, it's ours."

View full PR

Ken Bowers

From the Office of Representative Kenneth R. Bowers and the Office of Representative Paul Vang

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

House Minority Leader Paul Vang (R-WI) and Congressman Ken Bowers (D-WV) issued a joint statement to the press unveiling a plan to implement a carbon tariff.

Paul Vang

"Mounting evidence of climate change is growing to strong to ignore. While the extent to which climate change is due to man-made causes can be questioned, the risks associated with future warming are too big to ignore. For too long, many Republicans have looked the other way fostering a needless divide between the GOP and the scientific mainstream. This mentality ignores what most Americans feel on the matter. A 2018 Yale poll found nearly 8 in 10 Americans feel the government needs to take measures to rein in climate change. Even a majority of Republicans these days are now concerned about climate change and want it to be addressed. Taking action on climate change is the conduit for myself and Mr. Bowers to put aside our political differences to do right by Americans and the planet at large. Our proposed legislation will put a tax on harmful carbon imports by the ton that will punish free riding nations around the world taking us and our environment for granted. The funds raised by this tax will be rebated directly to the American people. The average American family of four can look to see yearly gains of roughly $1100 offsetting any potential rise in prices for foreign imports. We will make our world cleaner for future generations and Americans will experience the wealth from doing so. It's a win-win across the board. Bipartisan solutions are still possible in this country and I hope to see this legislation considered for debate very soon."

Ken Bowers

"I come from a family of coal miners. My grandfather died in a coal mine. My daddy worked in one all his life, and it killed him. It's a hard life, one that he hoped that me and my brothers would never have to live through, and we didn't. But a lot of the people of my home state--my people--don't have that option, because for so many West Virginians, coal puts food on the table. For Texans, Alaskans, and Washingtonians, oil puts food on the table. But we can no longer deny the reality of climate change. As the evidence continues to mount, we have to decide whether we will pay a small price today or our kids will pay a heavy price tomorrow. Over the past few weeks, Minority Leader Vang and myself have been working on a solution to this crisis. There's been a lot of talk on carbon taxes. More taxes on the coal industry, the oil industry, industries that are barely around. Taxes that are going to be paid for with more mass layoffs that will yank the food right out of the mouths of those coal miners' sons and daughters. My question for those proponents is this: Why on earth should we continue punishing the American worker when China has nearly double our carbon footprint? The solution proposed by myself and Congressman Vang will take the carbon tax, but instead of putting that cost on the coal miner back home, we're going to make climate cheats like China, India, and Russia pick up the tab for once! With this plan, we'll put that money back in the pockets of the energy workers who've been continually screwed over by unfair climate policies, and put them back to work. And when they retire with their pensions, I hope and pray that they will see a world where their kids won't have to work in the coal mines or on the oil rig to barely make a living like they had to, because I promise that their kids will be living in a new, clean economy!"

View full PR

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1

Ken Bowers interview from the city of Morgantown

Who do you hope wins the upcoming Democratic primary for President? : Congressman Ken Bowers (WV)
Should the extremist group 'The White Crusaders' be permitted to hold a rally in Chicago?: Yes
Are you concerned about global warming?: Yes, if Congress does nothing we will see even more disasters like last year's wildfires in California.

Additional comments (optional): Don't get me wrong, here. The message of The White Crusaders is disgusting and abhorrent. It's something my granddad and millions of other men who died fought hard against. And where come from, I reckon it'd get you clocked in the jaw. But, the Constitution of this country guarantees the right of everyone to speak freely and peacefully assemble, including those who you or I don't agree with. So yes, I think they should be allowed to hold a rally, but I also think it's up to local authorities to make sure it says peaceful and that it doesn't turn into another Charlottesville.

I am absolutely concerned about global warming. It's a threat to our way of life and it's up to us all to do our part. Luckily, I have some fellows on the other side of the isle who feel the same way. We've already been able to negotiate a game-changing carbon tariff in the form of the Protecting Our Energy, Environment, and Economy Act, which unfortunately has been ignored by my fellow Democrats including every single one of my opponents in the primary field. But I'm very optimistic that I'll be able to push through that and more, and help to spare us the worst effects of climate change if you choose to elect me as your President.

View full press questions

Ken Bowers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Congressman Ken Bowers (D-WV) has announced today the passage of the Overcoming the Opioid Crisis Act. The bill, which was passed unanimously by the House and Senate, was originally authored by Illinois Congressman Bill Foster, but reintroduced and advocated for by Bowers for the new session. Bowers stood over the President in the Oval Office as the bill was signed.

"I think it's just doggone fantastic how quickly this bill was able to pass," Bowers said to the press. "If Congress could pass legislation this quickly on a regular basis, we might actually start making this country the way it should be."

Upon it's passage, the legislation allows the federal government to offer grants to states to investigate improper prescriptions of drugs which cause overdoses and to train medical professionals on identifying and treating drug overdose victims, as well as reducing naxolene, a drug which can reverse overdoses, to over-the-counter status.

"You have no idea how much this means to families across the country struggling with addicted loved ones," Bowers continued. "Thanks to this bill, we can reduce the amount of people that are dying from this poison."

View full PR

Ken Bowers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Yesterday, Congressman Ken Bowers (D-WV) took a break from campaigning to venture out to Detroit at the General Motors headquarters, to join protesters in picketing the company. This comes after GM announced the closure of three major plants in the United States, laying off over 14,000 of it's workers. On the way to the HQ, Bowers made a stop at one of the plants, the Detroit-Hamtramck plant, and talked with some of the workers there.

"President Trump gave them tax breaks, telling you that you'd get more jobs and higher wages," said Bowers over a loudspeaker. "Now they're packing up and sending those jobs off to China! We spent $50 billion of your tax dollars bailing them out not six years ago. I say it's time to yank their free ride."

The company has said it believes it will save $4.5 billion by downsizing. According to economists, the company saved $7 billion from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.

"The greed is astounding," Bowers said in an interview with the press. "I mean, it's just never enough. This isn't a case of tariffs gone wrong, it's an excuse to downsize."

View full PR

Progressives LOVE this. Even some (especially midwestern) conservatives are drawn to this type of argument. Plays well with your populist form and is sensational enough to make headlines. Good overall.

Not headline material, but really good to build cred as a new and less-known candidate. Popular across the board.

Ken Bowers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

This morning, Congressman Ken Bowers (D-WV) delivered an impassioned speech on the House floor calling on House Speaker Calvin Ward (D-AR) to bring the Protecting Our Energy, Environment, and Economy Act to the floor. The bill, jointly introduced by Bowers and House Minority Leader Paul Vang (R-WI), would introduce a new tariff on carbon imports as a means of fighting climate change.

"This majority was elected on the promise to make a plan on one of the most pressing issues facing humanity today," Bowers said on the House floor. "By choosing inaction, we are choosing damnation."

So far, most of the House Democratic Caucus have declared their intent to vote against a motion to bring the bill to the House floor for debate. Speaker Ward has been an especially vocal critic of the bill, calling it "the worst thing for the economy at this time" and claiming that it would "double" farmers' woes.

"This bill has nothing to do with farmers or soybeans," Bowers said to the press. "What this will effect is imports on steel, automobiles, fossil fuels; industries that have been long been hurting domestically due to outsourcing."

Bowers went on to expand the tax refund outlined in the bill, which Speaker Ward has called a "buyoff" to Americans for the tariff.

"Prices will rise maybe about sixty dollars more on average," Bowers said. "That's an average eight hour work day for a minimum wage earner, and for them they'd only see prices rise half of that rate. For a working-class family, that's well worth it for a thousand dollars back in their bank account. And for families who've relied on jobs that have been outsourced or put out of business by the economic blowback of climate change, it's a godsend."

Bowers continued, urging congressional Democrats to allow the bill to be heard on the debate floor.

"It wasn't that long ago that Republican lawmakers wouldn't hear a word on climate change. With this bill, we've accomplish something revolutionary. It is by no means the end of the discussion. In fact, it's just the beginning. It's up to us to allow that discussion to be heard by the American people."

View full PR

• Like 1

You’ve really split the electorate on this one. Nationalist conservatives like the plan because they like protectionism, business conservatives hate it overall, some moderates like the plan because of the rebate and fighting climate change, others don’t because they are pro-free trade. Some progressives don’t like the plan because it is protectionist and they see it as aiding trump’s agenda, others like it because of the climate change factor.

You’re also hurt by many pundits and economists coming out and challenging your numbers on the rebate and prices.

“What, so I’m supposed to believe that I’ll only pay $60 more on average but get a $1000 rebate? Those are fantasyland numbers” say pundits on national news. This hurts you across the board, but particularly with moderates.

Ken Bowers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Congressman Ken Bowers (D-WV) has come out criticizing the tactics of Speaker Calvin Ward (D-AR), particularly for his role in the failure of the motion to bring the Protecting Our Energy, Environment, and Economy Act to the floor. The full statement is as follows:

"Yesterday, a motion to bring the Protecting Our Energy, Environment, and Economy Act up for debate was brought to the House floor. If passed, this bipartisan climate bill would've put tariffs on exports of carbon emissions at a rate of $25/tonne at a 100% rebate. Besides dramatically reducing the worldwide carbon footprint and punishing climate cheaters, this would've refunded an average of $1,100 to the average family of four, with only an average of $60 in projected price increases Despite receiving nearly a 60% majority of the vote, including ayes from nearly one third of House Democrats, the bill was blocked from ever reaching the House floor for an honest debate. The effort to block this discussion was lead by Speaker Ward and the House Democratic leadership. This is not only outrageous, but it is also undemocratic and the act of a coward.

"Only seven out of the twenty bills that have went through the House floor have been signed by the President, and countless sit in the hopper gathering dust. The rest have either been struck down here in the House, or in the Senate. It leads me to ask, does Speaker Ward care about keeping our promises to the American people and solving the greatest dilemma of our time, or does he care who gets the credit for it? Well, to Speaker Ward, I say this: it's time to shape up, or ship out. The American people deserve better than for this majority to be wasting time going through the motions. And if you can't, we'll find a Speaker who will."

View full PR

• Like 2

Progressives are absolutely furious about this. Not only did you publicly criticize the Democratic Speaker, but you did it over tariffs. Some of them were on your side because of climate change and protecting industry, but not now.

Moderates are still split, because they like the rebate but are generally pro free trade

Conservatives like this now. They love the infighting among the Dems and still love the tariffs. So except for pro-business conservatives, they’ve more or less coalesced for this.

So basically, this started out bipartisan but has become starkly polarized and partisan now. And, as a presidential candidate in a primary, this is not good for you.

Ken Bowers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Congressman Ken Bowers (D-WV) has come out to the press introducing the Labor Rights Reform Act, which would repeal the Taft-Hartley Act, and with it 'right-to-work' laws in nearly thirty states, as well as implement a nationwide mandate on paid leave.

"Taft-Hartley has all but neutered workers' ability to bargain for benefits," said Bowers to the press. "It has neutered the ability for unions to bargain for better benefits. The fact it has taken this long for us to take action is appalling."

The 'slave-labor bill', as Taft-Hartley or Labor Management Relations Act was called before its passage, was passed in 1947, defeating a veto from President Truman who had argued the bill to be a 'dangerous intrusion on free speech'. The Taft-Hartley Act remains a part of public law nearly 60 years later.

"The numbers don't lie," Bowers continued. "Workers in right-to-work states are making 3% less than those in non-right-to-work states. That should tell you something."

Bowers continued by expanding on amendments and additions to the Family and Medical Leave Act. This expansion would decrease the federal requirement for unpaid leave to six months with an employer and add a federal requirement for employers to give six months of paid sick and family leave after twelve months.

"Sometimes people need to take off work," said Bowers. "Nobody wants to lose their paycheck because they're too sick to come in, or they have to take care of their kids, and we shouldn't be yanking the food out of their mouths because of it."

View full PR

• Like 1

Ken Bowers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

After calling Governor Erick Travere (D-Midwest) and House Majority Leader Dylan Macmillan (D-NY) to congratulate them on their respective victories in the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary, Congressman Ken Bowers (D-WV) came out to address his supporters and announce a formal end to his candidacy as president. His full statement is as follows:

"Good evening. I won't beat around the bush. I know many of you out here tonight and at home watching are disappointed with the results tonight. I know you expected more, but the failure is mine, not yours. But you should not be disappointed. Even with hundreds of millions of dollars thrown at us by Democratic leadership and corporate PACs, we managed to come within arms reach of winning this. That sends a clear message to the folks down in Washington: listen to the voters, or your days in office are numbered.

"However, with no mathematical chance of victory, I do not feel it would be responsible for me to continue accepting donations from my supporters. That is why tonight, I will be suspending my candidacy for President. I will be returning to Congress tomorrow morning to continue fighting for you the best way I know how. And that leads me to my next statement. I do not feel that my colleagues on the Democratic ballot have your best interests at heart. I do not feel they are interested in solving America's problems in a principled manner. One man who has proven to me time and time again that he is interested in solving America's problems isn't a Democrat at all. He has pioneered the most ambitious infrastructure package since Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Together, he and I are working on the most meaningful healthcare overhaul since Lyndon Baines Johnson. And he brings hope and leadership to millions of Americans just as John Fitzgerald Kennedy once did. But he isn't a Democrat. His name is Paul Vang, and I will be voting for him in November.  And I encourage all Americans--Democratic, Republican, or otherwise--to do the same, to not only send a message but to vote true to the values that the Democratic Party once stood for.

"Thank you, and God bless."

View full PR

• Confused 2

This is good for you, as it is extremely progressive and wins you some points with people that you’ve been losing a lot of points with lately.

Of course, conservatives also hate this, particularly repealing right to work, as well. So, it depends on what you’re going for.

Wow, you endorsed a Republican. This helps Vang a bit, mostly because he can go the whole “endorsed by a Democrat” route, but you didn’t have much progressive cred left before this endorsement after attacking Ward and pushing so hard for a bill they saw as in line with the Trump agenda, and you forfeited almost all you had won back. Moderates mostly see this as petty now after all of the attacks on other members of your party. Conservatives love it, though—they see you as a courageous person that didn’t “bow down” to his radicalized party.

Sign in to follow this