TedderVision
Dogslife

Joint Resolution to Condemn White Nationalism

Mr. Travere, for himself and others, introduced the following resolution

Whereas the Alternative Right or Alt-Right have demonstrated publicly that they desire a Caucasian only ethnic state

and

Wheras their fundamental tenants of racism, bigotry, white supremacy, and misogyny are well documented in their blogs, podcasts, and on social media

and

Whereas their views are totally inconsistent with American or midwestern values

and

whereas our country has already endured the violence that White Nationalism and White Supremacy breeds during our Civil Rights Era

Whereas we recognize that they do not represent the majority of Americans or the majority of midwesterners

We the assembly of the Midwest do hereby condemn the actions of all white nationalists and condemn the actions and statements by all white nationalist groups including, but not limited to, The White Crusaders.

(House Speaker)

Having been properly motioned and being within the three bills per week limit, this bill shall be immediately forward to the Floor for consideration. 

A reminder as we are at the being of the session: minimum of 72 hours shall be given for debate on a proposed bill, which may be extended by a majority vote via a motion in the legislature. A maximum of 48 hours, after the minimum amount of time for debate has passed, shall be given for the Governor and Regional Leader to submit the respective whips for their parties for any vote on a motion, bill, etc.

Please commence debate.

Mr. Speaker, 

I object to UC and offer the following friendly amendment.

Mr. Travere, for himself and others, introduced the following resolution

Whereas White Nationalists the Alternative Right or Alt-Right have demonstrated publicly that they desire a Caucasian only ethnic state

and

Wheras their fundamental tenants of racism, bigotry, white supremacy, and misogyny are well documented in their blogs, podcasts, and on social media

and

Whereas their views are totally inconsistent with American or midwestern values

and

whereas our country has already endured the violence that White Nationalism and White Supremacy breeds during our Civil Rights Era

Whereas we recognize that they do not represent the majority of Americans or the majority of midwesterners

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

I cannot support that ammendment. The alt right marched in Charlottesville. They killed an innocent woman. We should be condemning them.

I yield

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

This is very true to form of the gentleman. I’m going to put this very simply and very bluntly. 

If you cannot condemn white nationalism and racism, then you might as well be a racist yourself. If you cannot accept a resolution to condemn people who have committed cold blooded murder, then you should be ashamed of yourself. 

Racism in all of its forms must be condemned! I don’t care who they vote for and I don’t care what they want to call themselves. They are rascist, anti-Semitic, white nationalists. If you think all men are truly created equal then vote for this resolution. If you vote against it then you are enabling racism and you are anti-American.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

So does the gentleman want to accept my amendment to specifically denounce white nationalism in the VERY FIRST SENTENCE? 

If he does not I move for a vote to table. 

Level 3 Aye to table. 

Mr. Speaker,

The gentleman’s argument has no merit. If he would read the bills he’s supposed to debate for once in his life he would read this section,

We the assembly of the Midwest do hereby condemn the actions of all white nationalists

He just doesn’t want to condemn the alt-right because he’s too chicken to condemn the people who will vote for him, no matter what they stand for. So I say again, read the bill. If you can see that this bill condemns white nationalism, then vote against tabling. If you are un-American and pro racism then by all means, vote to table. 

I yield

Mr. Speaker, 

So I assume the gentleman votes Nay to table? 

*golf clap* 

can we get a roll call? 

I yield. 

• Like 1

James Hill (D-IL)

Mr. Speaker,

This motion to table is a disgrace,

Let me say it to his face,

Alt-right and white nats have no place,

To have any space,

In our society trying to look past race.

I yield.

Patricia Vanderbeak (R-MI)

Mr. Speaker,

I concur with the sentiments expressed by the gentleman from Illinois. Quibbling over 'alt-right' vis-a-vis 'white nationalist' or 'white supremacist' is akin to debating about angels on the head of a needle. They're all one and the same and should be condemned. I see no reason to table this resolution for failing to accept the proposed amendment. 

I yield.

• Like 2

Mr. Speaker, 

My message is clear. We won't support the bill unless the language is changed. I ask for a roll call on the amendment. 

I yield. 

Patricia Vanderbeak (R-MI)

Mr. Speaker,

Perhaps the majority leader could articulate why he believes it necessary to amend the resolution in the way he desires. To my mind, which is quite open in such matters, there is no particular reason why the proposed amendment is necessary, the minority leader has presented an argument as to why such an amendment may be detrimental. I have no compunction regarding denouncing alt-right white nationalists. Presenting an affirmative argument, rather than simply asserting its necessity, may help his case.

I yield.

Kenneth Bigwell (R-KY)

Mr. Speaker,

She's right. I wasn't put into office by some alt-right internet trolls, I have no problem sayin' I hate them and they're not American. I want nothin' to do with them and I want that to be clear. Simply puttin' out whips with no public justifications for why we're supposed to be dyin' on these hills isn't goin' to win nothin.

I yield.

(Speaker)

The minimum amount of debate having passed and hearing no debate, I would asked the respective party leaders to submit their whips.