TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
TexAgRepublican

Student Debt Bankruptcy Reform Act

Ms. Fitzgerald and Mr. Fitzpatrick, with thanks to Mr. Delaney, submits

A BILL

To amend title 11 of the United States Code to make student loans dischargeable.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “Student Debt Bankruptcy Reform Act”.

SEC. 2. EXCEPTION TO DISCHARGE.

Section 523(a) of title 11, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by striking paragraph (8); and

(2) by redesignating paragraphs (9) through (14B) as paragraphs (8) through (14A), respectively.

SEC. 3. CONFORMING AMENDMENTS.

Title 11, United States Code, is amended—

(1) in section 704(c)(1)(C)(iv)(I) by striking “(14A)” and inserting “(14)”;

(2) in section 1106(c)(1)(C)(iv)(I) by striking “(14A)” and inserting “(14)”;

(3) in section 1202(c)(1)(C)(iv)(I) by striking “(14A)” and inserting “(14)”; and

(4) in section 1328(a)(2) by striking “(8), or (9)” and inserting “or (8)”.

SEC. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE; APPLICATION OF AMENDMENTS.

(a) Effective Date.—Except as provided in subsection (b), this Act and the amendments made by this Act shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

(b) Application Of Amendments.—The amendments made by this Act shall apply only with respect to cases commenced under title 11 of the United States Code on or after the date of the enactment of this Act.

PES: This bill amends the federal bankruptcy code to permit a borrower to discharge in bankruptcy a nonprofit, government, or private student loan, or an obligation to repay an educational benefit, scholarship, or stipend.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I object.

Mr. Speaker, 

Can the gentleman explain why he is objecting to a bipartisan bill that is authored and supported by his own fellow republicans?

I yield 

Mr. Speaker,

This bill may be sponsored by a fellow Republican, but I do not, unlike you Mr. Speaker, believe that it is necessary to support whatever comes out of my party HQ. Student loans are the riskiest loans to be given on the whole, and in order to mitigate the risk of offering a student loan, they must be protected from absolution via bankruptcy. The alternative is that they are given out only to those who have the established credit to warrant such a loan with little to no equity. I doubt if many new students would have such credit built up, and I certainly doubt if they would be prepared to put up the equity necessary to secure hundreds of thousands of dollars. Therefore, since I want to see student loans continue to be offered to American students, I do not wish to see them become absolved by bankruptcy.

I yield.

Also I'd like to rise on a Point of Order. It is inappropriate for the person wielding the gavel in this august House to demean the seat he occupies by entering into debate with the members herein. I would ask the presiding officer to please withdraw his remarks and either chair this discussion, or hand the gavel off to someone else and take part in the debate on equal footing to those of us in the House who wish to have a fair and free debate.

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Also I'd like to rise on a Point of Order. It is inappropriate for the person wielding the gavel in this august House to demean the seat he occupies by entering into debate with the members herein. I would ask the presiding officer to please withdraw his remarks and either chair this discussion, or hand the gavel off to someone else and take part in the debate on equal footing to those of us in the House who wish to have a fair and free debate.

The point is not well taken.

OOC:

@Bruce this is metagaming. The speaker.......much less the deputy speaker has always been allowed to chime in from time to time.

OOC: In what possible way is this metagaming? Metagaming means using outside information as a character who wouldn't rightly have that information. As a member of the House of Representatives, Patrick would undoubtedly know that the Chair does not wade into debate but would have to hand the gavel off first.

Mr. Speaker,

I would ask the Parliamentarian to issue a ruling on this matter. As such, I believe we should postpone debate on this issue until such a time as a ruling can be issued.

Just now, Ryan said:

Mr. Speaker,

I would ask the Parliamentarian to issue a ruling on this matter. As such, I believe we should postpone debate on this issue until such a time as a ruling can be issued.

@Bruce @Batman @Wm96 @Conrad @Magenta

Edited by Shiggy

OOC: The precedent when I was Speaker was that the Speaker would take his hand off of the gavel using denotation such as this:

*Removes hands from gavel*

Mr Speaker,

Blah blah blah

I yield

*Returns hand to the gavel*

I know it's a small change to make, but maybe it would be good to return to this going forward?

• Like 2

OOC: Dude why are you so mad and why do you have to make everything OOC? This was a perfectly reasonable thing for a Congressman to raise an objection to and would be considered a pretty ferocious breach of decorum. Why can't we deal with this IC? This is decidedly not metagaming and it is decidedly not an OOC issue. 

2 minutes ago, Macmillan said:

OOC: The precedent when I was Speaker was that the Speaker would take his hand off of the gavel using denotation such as this:

I know it's a small change to make, but maybe it would be good to return to this going forward?

OOC: My understanding is that this is still the way it is to be done.

Sign in to follow this