TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
SWMissourian

Johnathon Grant (R-MO) Press Office

Johnathon Grant

From the Office of Representative Johnathon Grant (R-MO):

For Immediate Release

Representative Grant (R-MO) made clear to his constituents in Southwest Missouri that he would be an avidly pro-life voice in the House of Representatives. His election is an affirmation of that wish among Missourians. Today, Representative Grant proved that he would make clear on his pro-life campaign promises by supporting the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, introduced by Representative Vang (R-WI) with thanks to Mr. Franks of Arizona. Grant officially co-sponsored the legislation this afternoon.

"Protecting the lives of the unborn has always been important to me," he stated. "It was a central issue of my campaign; it's been a central part of my whole political belief system since I was a teenager. I will always fight to end the horrific practice of abortion. While this act doesn't do that, we can at least use it to end some of the most horrific abortions: the late-term ones, the ones that kill babies after they are 20 weeks old. While all abortions are wrong, those are especially horrific. I invite all pro-lifers, Democrats and Republicans, to support this bill."

Indeed, on the campaign trail, Grant once said,"It is my belief that abortion is the great moral evil of our time. Future generations of Americans will look back on us and think,'What were they thinking? How could they support that?' They will think of abortion as we think of slavery. This isn't about so-called 'women's healthcare' or 'reproductice rights'; slavery wasn't about the South's so-called 'peculiar institution'. This is about murder, child murder, child murder for the sake of convenience. I promise to fight against the industry of child murder!"

Johnathon Grant honored a campaign promise to his fellow Missourians today.

View full PR

• Like 2

I think this is your first PR that I've graded. Thank you for joining our region.

You took a stand in support of a recently introduced bill and explained why you are supporting it.  You use strong words and rhetoric that instantly paint you as a pro-life Republican and grab the interest of the Christian Coalition. Comparing legalized abortion to slavery and murder also instantly makes you the enemy of progressives and the ACLU. Welcome to American politics.

Johnathon Grant

From the Office of Representative Johnathon Grant

For Immediate Release

Tonight, Representative Johnathon Grant announced his endorsement for Governor Rick Sharp of the Southeast region for President of the United States. Representative Grant posted on social media that Sharp is "a stalwart defender of the Constitution, and a warrior for conservative, common sense policies." Representative Grant, however, wishes to stipulate that this does not indicate any ill will or malice towards any other primary candidate. 

"Minority Leader Vang is great, and I appreciate his leadership in the House. Sharp is also great, and ultimately, I think, a better choice for the Presidency. Vang's leadership is still needed in the House," Grant said. "Governor Sharp will make an excellent candidate and President. I look forward to his Presidency come 2021." Grant had more to say, though, stressing that,"My endorsement was not done without serious thought and consideration. I think both Leader Vang and Governor Sharp are great. For me, though, Sharp is a better fit, and I believe that is true for my constituents as well. We will see how the people feel at the voting booths."

Press release approved by Representative Johnathon Grant (R-MO)

View full PR

Johnathon Grant

FROM THE OFFICE OF JOHNATHON GRANT

For Immediate Release

Today, Representative Grant introduced the College Campus Free Speech Protection Act. Mr. Grant had this to say:

"Too often you see headlines about unfair free speech zones on our college campuses. Just yesterday I read about a lawsuit that had to be filed to allow conservative speakers to speak on campus fairly. Colleges are supposed to educate the next generation, expose them to new ideas and ways of thinking. They are not supposed to serve as echo chambers for any political group, not liberals, not conservatives, no one. It is unacceptable to see our colleges behave this way. What's worse, the taxpayers are footing the bill for this behavior. That's why I have introduced legislation that empowers the Secretary of Education to stop federal funds from going to any school that engages in this behavior. Americans have a First Amendment right to free speech, and it isn't right for the government to be complicit in violating those rights with the people's money."

When asked if the bill would protect just conservatives from being persecuted or if it would protect everyone, Grant added,"I want everyone's free speech protected. I may not agree with you, but it isn't for the college administration to shut you down because of that. That's why we debate, why we discuss. That's what a healthy republic thrives on. This bill protects everyone, and I call on everyone in Congress to pass it. Free speech must prevail."

If you would like to read the bill for yourself, click here.

View full PR

Johnathon Grant

From the Office of Johnathon Grant

For Immediate Release

Representative Johnathon Grant announced today that he is running for US Senate as Senator from the Midwest. This is what he had to say:

"My fellow Midwesterners, the elections are coming up, and I have decided to throw my hat in the ring and run for Senator Grassley's seat. Senator Grassley has done an amazing job serving his country, and I wish him well going forward. As someone who has lived and worked in the Midwest for almost their entire life, I know the Midwest people, our values, our culture, and our needs. We don't want overreaching government, we don't want unfair or burdensome regulations. We want a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. We want to be left alone by the government, whether that comes in decriminalization of marijuana or the protection of gun rights. We want sensible legislation. We want, and need, accountable government, one that controls its spending and sticks to the Constitution.

As Senator, I will emphasize deregulation of the economy and the lives of the people. I will value and push for devolution, allowing the people to tailor their policy to fit their more local needs and wants. I'll emphasize protecting the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I will fight for freedom, equality under the law, fair legislation, and free, prosperous markets. I will listen to the wants and needs of my constituents with every vote I cast. 

I stand for limited government, protection of our God-given rights, and prosperity. God bless the Midwest, and God bless America!"

View full PR

• Like 1

Johnathon Grant

Kansas City, MO

For Immediate Release

Johnathon Grant held what he referred to as a "kickoff" rally in celebration of his Senate campaign's launch. The first of likely many rallies drew a big crowd of conservatives, libertarians, and moderates wanting to hear the candidate's takes on the issues.

Grant began the rally with a prayer: "Almighty God, thank you for all that you have done and blessed us with. You have given us the greatest country in the history of the world, amazing freedom, and boundless opportunity. Lord, we can not ever thank you enough for what you have provided us with, not only our daily bread, but also eternal life in your Son. You washed away our sins, you cleansed our lives. You've had a profound impact on me personally, and I suspect many in this same room. We thank you for blessing us in our lives, and we ask that you bless this campaign and continue to bless America. Amen,"

He then launched into promises of small government and protections of personal liberty: "As Senator from the Midwest, my first goal shall be to protect the liberty of the great people of this land to make the choices they think best for themselves and their families. This is best done by limited government; that's why the Founders built the nation with inherent protections against big government. Time and time again, especially recently, though, we have allowed our inflamed emotions and wants to inflate our government, costing us our great freedom. This trend is alarming, and I will combat it at every turn. The people of the Midwest deserve to make their own decisions, through local government, through the power of their dollars in the marketplace, through the sound of their voices. Big government is a threat to all we hold dear, we must be cautious and watchful of it at every turn." Later, Grant touted his support of marijuana decriminalization on the federal level as evidence of this, saying,"I know not everyone in this room likes marijuana, and that includes me. I'm not a fan of alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, things like that. But, I support letting the people choose. I've seen tremendous support for that here in Missouri and in the Midwest in general. They want to choose for themselves, not some government bureaucrat in Washington. Hearing and listening to the arguments of the people changed my mind. I support marijuana legalization on the federal level. We need to let the people decide, both through their regional governments and their own economic decisions!"

Grant then talked for a few minutes on immigration, stating,"This country needs immigration reform, and I think both sides have some things right about the issue. We need tighter and more robust border security, that much is obvious. We need to enforce our laws. That's why I voted against Speaker Ward's disastrous bill on the House floor right now! His amnesty provisions are too lenient and impractical. However, I do think there is a compromise, one that most Americans support. Perhaps, we can have limited amnesty for some groups while increasing and improving our border security so that we don't have this ridiculous problem again. We can all come together and come up with a good, humane solution to all of this, but there are radicals trying to force their open-borders agenda on the US."

Grant ended the rally with a whipped-up and excited crowd, exclaiming,"We will fight for a limited, freedom-loving government of the people, by the people, and for the people! God bless y'all, and God bless America!!"

View full PR

Another Midwest voice for Sharp. Voters may want a little more policy substance though; as saying Sharp is a conservative is a good start, but elaborating on how/why and which specific issues he's motivated you could make a stronger PR in the future.

@Bruce

This has been a hot-button issue for conservatives for some time now and they're pleased to hear about a Congressman addressing their concerns directly. Moderates are glad to hear you say that this is about free speech for everyone, even if you don't agree with them. Since you're new to the political scene, they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you mean it. Progressives are concerned that you'll end up protecting hate speech or otherwise infringe on the rights of what many are increasingly viewing as 'their' bulwarks and institutions.

Praising your party's largely popular incumbent that you want to replace as he retires is typically sound politics. Some warm platitudes about being left alone by the government appeals to conservatives. Some are surprised that you explicitly tie this to the issue of decriminalizing marijuana, but this may be indicative that you represent a new generation of conservative thought. This could help you with moderates and/or it could alienate more traditionally-minded conservative voters. It will likely revolve around the effectiveness of your persuasion techniques.

Welcome the the Midwest US Senate race.

Interesting choice to kickoff your campaign with a prayer. Interesting optics, indeed. The language and tone you use to describe your support for limited government is appealing and sounds unifying, rather than necessarily divisive. This could be important for generating broad appeal in a Midwest Senate race, as while the region leans conservative it is hardly close to majority-conservative. Similarly, stating you support decriminalization and legalization of marijuana even if you don't like the plant does come across as principled. This could also be a surprisingly influential campaign issue, as the regional government recently legalized marijuana in the Midwest budget bill. Coming out against amnesty and open borders, but at the same time suggesting you'd favor a limited amnesty makes some accuse you of talking out of both sides of your mouth or of being a sell-out squish; others claim it makes you seem moderate and willing to compromise on the issue.

Johnathon Grant

For Immediate Release

Image result for josh hawley at a rally

Representative Grant drums up the crowd at his Iowa rally in Des Moines

Today, Johnathon Grant held a campaign rally in Des Moines, Iowa, focusing on the topic of gun control. Grant launched his rally with a short prayer, much shorter than the one he offered at his first rally.

"Father God, thank you for all you've blessed us with and continue to bless us with. You've done tremendous good for all humanity. We have seen and known your love for our country's entire history. Please bless the people here with great happiness and abundance, and let them follow your plan as you intend. Amen."

Then, he moved to gun control.

"Thank you for coming out here tonight, ladies and gentlemen. Today, I want to talk about gun control. I'm sure many of you share similar opinions to mine, but I implore that you listen and share this all the same. I first want to say that as your Senator from the Midwest, I will firmly and solidly stand against overbearing and unconstitutional attacks on the natural right of every American--indeed, every human-- to defend themselves, their family, and their livelihoods. These attacks are unacceptable to the people of the Midwest, who have a rich culture of protecting themselves and providing for their families. Even those who would otherwise disagree with me know that Second Amendment rights must not be compromised.

Now, many gun control advocates say that they don't want to repeal the Second Amendment, or that they do not want to take away your guns. They just want to pass some common sense gun control legislation that will make us all safer. What are their proposals? Many Democrats want to ban semi-automatic rifles! I assume all of you know what that means, but for those who don't, that means that virtually every rifle in America would become illegal! Not just the big, scary, black AR-15, the whole lot! These are one trigger pull, one bullet rifles. That is incredibly radical and unpalatable! That is a plain breach of our God-given rights. Many will counter with the old,"The Second Amendment only applies to muskets" trick. That is either very disingenuous or very ignorant.. If the Second Amendment doesn't apply to modern rifles, the First doesn't apply to Twitter or Facebook. Both clearly still apply. The Second Amendment also doesn't only protect militias. I mean, how ridiculous would it be for the government to allow itself to bear arms in a militia? Even more importantly, looking at historical context, we can reasonably conclude and understand the militia was understood as the collective body of the people. After all, Congress wasn't given the power to create the militia, just to "To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions". They call forth the militia, they don't create it. The militia back then was understood to be every able-bodied man, which translates in modern times to being every law-abiding citizen, since no one was specifically barred from owning arms in the Constitution. 

"But we must stop mass shootings!" they say. I agree completely. These shootings are absolutely horrible, but they do not justify an egregious assault and destruction of the rights of the people. Government always seizes on emotions and hysteria to erode our rights. We must be ever vigilant and careful when it comes to gun control policies. That being said, there are some liberty-respecting ways to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals who shouldn't have them, as I believe we all want. The first and most obvious ones are to better enforce our current laws. The Parkland shooting in 2018 and the Sutherland Springs in 2017 demonstrated this in clear and obvious order. The shooter who shot up the church in Sutherland Springs in Texas shouldn't have been able to purchase a weapon; he had a rap sheet a mile long! The Air Force messed up with disastrous consequences. The FBI bungled the situation with the Parkland shooter! Removing people's best defense for themselves even while the government still fails to protect them is not the answer to our troubles. There is also another interesting proposal put forth by conservatives in places like the National Review, something called a Gun Violence Restraining Order. Heard of it? Basically, those who know a troubled or dangerous person can gather evidence and submit it to a judge to temporarily suspend that individual's right to own a gun, but they must submit more evidence to keep the suspension active. This allows for those close to these troubled people, who like in the Parkland shooter's case, knew trouble was brewing. Those closest to these people know when they are planning bad things a lot of the time. This can help. Am I suggesting this, though? After all, this system could be subject to abuse by judges, vindictive people, and government agencies. If I were to consider such a law, I would demand a high burden of proof and clear standards to prevent abuse, as well as a way to appeal and investigate and punish abuse. However, do not think me soft on gun control. I am a strong and stalwart defender of our rights, and I will remain that way in the Senate. If such a law were to be proposed and is too strong, allowing it to be leveraged against the law-abiding people of the Midwest, I would vote it down and criticize it in the harshest of terms. I would join my Midwestern constituents in condemning that wolf in sheep's clothing. I'm merely saying that when it comes to liberty-respecting ideas, I would be willing to listen with an open, but still critical and careful, mind. We must be careful and slow when it comes to gun control. We must never allow knee-jerk reactions to cost us our liberties, because we will surely never get them back, not once they are gone!

Ladies and Gentlemen, you can trust me to be a stalwart and vigilant defender of your constitutional rights, especially the Second Amendment. Both parties have messed up and allowed the rights to be eroded in the past, but I never will! I grew up around guns. My dad had several, and when I turned 18, a rifle was my birthday gift from him and my mom. The Second Amendment is what allows the single mom living in a bad neighborhood to defend herself and her only child. It is what allows the person with an abusive spouse to deter further violence. Most importantly, it is what allows the great citizens of our amazing country to deter and resist tyranny from encroaching government. We all want to be left alone, we all want to just provide for ourselves and our families, we all want to be able to defend ourselves. We want the government to leave us alone and allow us to live and let live. Gun control measures are a direct attack on all of that. That's why I will forever remain strong and on the front lines of the defense of our God-given rights to defend ourselves, codified--but not given--by the Second Amendment. I hope to earn your vote in this primary and the general election. God bless you and God bless America!"

View full PR

• Thanks 1

Johnathon Grant

For immediate release

Mr. Granata claims that he is a more principled conservative than I am. What’s his evidence for such an absurd claim? My statements on immigration, marijuana, and tariffs. Clearly, Mr. Granata missed the meaning of free markets and small government. Let’s go through his statements a little more in-depth, and by the end, I hope to demonstrate plainly that I am the best choice for Midwest Senate. 

First, Mr. Granata attacks me on principle. Indeed, I did state at a town hall that I was more principled, as a consistent small government and free market conservative. Granata said,”Here's the two main issues you can take away from his campaign. Johnathon Grant opposes Trump on Tariffs, and he supports marijuana. I'm not sure those two things make for a principled conservative.” Mr. Granata, you could not be more wrong. First, conservatives are supposed to be for small government and free markets. We are supposed to be against government intervention in the economy. Granata supports the government deciding what product is best for you. Want that cheaper dryer? Too bad, it was shipped from China. Economists have known for decades that tariffs are bad for economic growth and freedom, but my opponent insists on doubling down, despite these disastrous tariffs. These tariffs have hurt our great farmers and producers in America, thanks to the counter-tariffs imposes by the Chinese. Tell these good conservative men and women that these tariffs are good for them and America! Granata also took my statements out of context. I said I would work with President Vang to first end the trade war on favorable terms, and then we would return tariff power to its Constitutional bounds. I bet even Mr. Vang isn’t a big fan of the tariffs. Even more hypocritical, Granata says he supports deregulation and economic liberalization, but he continues to support vast government intervention in the economy through these tariffs! These tariffs are ultimately unacceptable and unconstitutional. Every conservative should be for minding the Constitution, but Granata wants to ignore it for political convenience. Think about that next time he promises to protect your Second Amendment rights. 

Granata also has my marijuana stance wrong, accusing me of faux conservatism because of it. This is because of Granata’s failure to understand limited government. Most Americans just want to be left alone by the government, to live as we want and to strive for a better life. They have that right, and I will fight for that through limited government and economic prosperity and freedom. I need to be consistent with that though, unlike Granata. I want to let people choose through their own local governments and decisions. I don’t want the Washington bureaucrats making your decisions for you! Granata does! That’s not conservative! That’s not principled! And he has the audacity to compare me with Constitution-flouting Governor Travere. Travere and I are nothing alike. Marijuana decriminalization is a bipartisan issue with people across the ideological spectrum supporting it for different reasons. This includes our own Senator Rand Paul. Senator Paul understands limited government and economic freedom, and I am of much the same mind. 

Now, immigration. Mr. Granata once more takes my statements out of context, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it wasn’t on purpose. I said I *might* be able to support limited amnesty, but not for better border security and enforcement of immigration law. President Trump himself offered this and similar deals. This is a bipartisan issue that has a high likelihood of requiring *some* compromise. That’s just realism, and I may vote for very limited amnesty in exchange for President Trump’s (and hopefully Vang’s) America First agenda. 

I am an unflinching defender of the Second Amendment, too. I will never vote for infringement on the Second Amendment rights of my constituents. Those rights pre-exist government, and they are not ours to give or take away. I will never compromise the Second Amendment to help statists. 

Americans deserve a fiscally responsible government, and that’s what I’ll fight for in Washington. Too many Republicans abandoned their fiscally Conservative principles, against the vote of their constituents. That won’t be me, but you can bet it’ll be Granata. He is the type of establishment Republican to trade more military funding for more entitlement spending, something I’ll never vote for. 

These tariffs aren’t fair, they aren’t conservative, they aren’t ultimately helpful. Americans have a right to choose marijuana policy for themselves on a local level, even if it is against some Washington bigwigs. We all want to be left alone by the government. We all want personal freedom to chase our dreams in a prosperous economy. We all want to be able to decide for ourselves how we will live our lives, as long as we aren’t infringing on the rights of others. 

If you value principle and nuance, then I am your choice for US Senate. If you want responsible, limited government and economic freedom, Granata is not your man. I ask once more for your vote in the upcoming Republican primaries.

God bless you, and God bless America!

View full PR

• Thanks 1

Johnathon Grant

Office of Representative Johnathon Grant

Johnathon Grant held a rally in Illinois today to talk about limited government in the run up to his Senate primary election. 

“Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen! Thanks for coming out. Look at this! What a great turnout, you guys are amazing! So, I want to talk about limited government and the rights of the people today. Above all else, that’s what I’ll stand for as Senator. 

So, limited government. What does that mean? I bet everyone in this room is for it; limited government is the idea that the power of our government ought to be constrained by a system of checks and balances and by the rights of the people. This principle is embodied by our great Constitution and Declaration of Independence. Our Founders knew what limited government was, they knew how to set that foundation. Here we are over 200 years later, still the most free, greatest nation the world has ever seen. 

And yet we still forget our principle of limited government that exists only to protect the rights of the people. We forget it a lot. We forget it when it comes to economic policy. We forget it when it comes to social policy. We forget it when it comes to all types of government activities, and suddenly our limited government slips off its restraints when we aren’t watchful, and we have a problem on our hands. 

That’s why I’ll always continue to fight for the people to limit our government. That’s why I have the relatively unorthodox position of supporting marijuana legalization, at least among my peers in Congress. I know that among we the people, though, this position is not so uncommon. Over 60 percent want marijuana legalized! That’s a lot of people! In line with my support of limited government, I support that. After all, your smoking weed doesn’t transgress on my rights, so why should I have say in that? Why should some Washington bureaucrat or Senator who doesn’t know you have that say? The people have a right to do what they wish with their lives, as long as it doesn’t breach the rights of others. That was what this nation was founded on. Anthony Granata, though, either forgets this or disregards it! He says that I am unprincipled, when I am the one remaining consistent and logical in my positions on limited government. I am conservative: I love my country, I’m wary of my government, I stick to my guns (no pun intended), and I love American culture. I’ll defend all of that as your Senator. 

This applies to the Second Amendment, too! God bless America, unlike so many other countries, the Founding Fathers wrote in a protection of the inherent natural right to self defense in our Constitution itself! I thank God for that everyday, especially when I see the continued assault on our freedoms coming from every which way. Unfortunately, the laws here in Illinois are quite restrictive, and if we aren’t careful, our governor will spread gun control to our entire region. This is unacceptable, and I hope that every Republican, every conservative, every libertarian, everyone who loves their rights, has that line drawn in the sand. We will not accept infringements on our Second Amendment rights from an overbearing, overreaching government! As your Senator, I promise to steadfastly defend your second amendment rights, which are inherent in your being a human, against all assault. No exceptions. 

All of this is summed up in limited government philosophy. Conservatism means limited government, economic freedom, free markets, and a deep affection for our beautiful country. Ladies and gentlemen, that’s what I stand for. That’s what I’ll fight for, now and in the future, hopefully as your US Senator. God bless you and God bless America!”

View full PR

• Thanks 1

Johnathon Grant

For Immediate Release

Representative Johnathon Grant hosted another rally yesterday, this time in Kentucky. He dedicated his time on what made the United States great, and how to defend that greatness. 

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Wow, what a turnout!

It’s great to see you all out here, getting involved in the political process. That’s one of the things that makes America great, the freedom to be involved in the political process in whatever way you want, including not at all! From the beginning, America was founded on the principle of limited government, one that existed as a guarantor of the inherent, eternal natural rights of mankind: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. John Locke said these rights were ‘life, liberty, and property’ and Thomas Jefferson borrowed that language for our great Declaration of Independence. They set free speech, property rights, and individual liberty as foundational tenets of our republic. The Founders set the stage for a society that would eclipse all others in influence, freedom, and greatness. 

Let’s look at the First Amendment. What a masterpiece! Everyone has the right to say what they want, believe what they want, stand for what they want, all without government intervention. This was a separation from the old European monarchical order, full of laws against government criticism, regal insults, and supposed blasphemy. You can worship how you want, too! Christians can worship God however they wish, in all of our denominations and churches. We can bring that belief into our lives and let it flow through us, without the allowance of the government. Muslims, Jews, Zoroastrians, adherents of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, they can all worship as they please! These rights don’t come from the First Amendment, that’s just where they are codified. They come from God, from our nature as human beings. 

Unfortunately, this amendment had come under attack recently. College campuses love censoring conservative speech, through various means. That’s why I’ve introduced legislation into the House to help stop colleges from doing this, and I call on Speaker Ward to bring the College Campus Free Speech Protections Act to the Floor for debate and a vote. I want to protect speech of all kinds: conservative, libertarian, liberal, radical, dovish, moderate, you name it! We all deserve the free exercise of such an inherent right!

The Second Amendment is a masterpiece, too. I’ve gone over this in the past, but I want to reiterate: as your Senator, I will oppose all of the radical, anti-gun, anti-Second-Amendment legislation that comes to vote. I think we can all get behind a freer America, one that has its rights to self defense against threats from other citizens and government unabridged. 

I often worry about another amendment, the fifth. Specifically, I worry about this clause: “nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law”. Yet, every year, hundreds of thousands of Americans are deprived of their lives every year without due process, and it is sanctioned by the government. I’m talking about the half a billion dollars a year given to Planned Parenthood. As your Senator, I won’t support a budget that continues to fund Planned Parenthood. You don’t even have to be pro-life to agree with me on this issue. Even pro-choicers can agree that we shouldn’t force the people to fund the destruction of unborn lives against their will. This comes back to limited government. If we must allow abortion and you must have one, do it on your own dime, not the money of the loving evangelicals working hard to make money for their family. We shouldn’t force the people to pay for murder, especially arguably unconstitutional murder. 

America hasn’t always lived up to its glorious mission. We are engaged in the world’s most grand and exciting experiment in republican democracy, and we mess up sometimes. Slavery, Jim Crow, Dred Scott, etc. But this is still a society where we can right our wrongs, where we can be equal and freer than ever. That’s why America is great. 

America is great because of our freedoms, because of our great culture, because of our great foundation. Our Constitution is a masterpiece, and our people are free and hardworking. God bless you, ladies and gentlemen, and God bless America!”

View full PR

• Thanks 1

Johnathon Grant

For Immediate Release

Religious freedom is a wonderful thing. It is a integral right of every human, and I am proud to say the American government was founded with religious liberty in mind. This right pre-dates government, yet we can still find it in the supreme law of the land that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". This, along with vigilance from the citizens of our great country, is what allows a Catholic to go to Mass, a Protestant to attend church, a Muslim to go to his mosque, or a Jew to pray at the synagogue. This religious tolerance has been the exception throughout history, not the rule, and I am grateful that in these times, in this great nation, I can worship how I feel. I can believe what I want or who I want. That's why I am talking about the assault on religious freedom today.

We all know what it means to have free exercise of religion. It means you can freely believe in what you want how you want, and the government has no right, no power to stand in your way, so long as you aren't violating the rights of others. However, this clear meaning has been ignored by many on the Left, in places like Colorado and Washington. To them, religious freedom doesn't apply to everyone equally. They have an odd semi-Marxist worldview that racism can only exist in those with power and that religious intolerance and persecution doesn't count if it happens to an unfavorable group. They will force a Christian baker to bake a cake for a gay wedding or otherwise lose his business or take so-called "sensitivity training". Never will they acknowledge that the baker would've otherwise served them; it didn't matter that they were gay. The baker, Jack Phillips, only declined to make the cake because of how that cake would be used: in a gay wedding ceremony. Mr. Phillips felt that would violate his sincere religious beliefs and politely declined to make the cake. He never refused to serve them because they were gay. He didn't want his product, his art to be used in a ceremony he felt was sinful and wrong. This isn't comparable to the old Jim Crow South. This is more comparable to a Jewish baker refusing service for a neo-Nazi rally or a company owned by black entrepreneurs refusing to cater for a KKK meeting. This is just common sense. No one has a right to the business or property of another human being; that is slavery. Just get a cake at another bakery. 

The State of Colorado didn't see it that way. They forced Jack all the way to the Supreme Court, which ruled narrowly. Another business, this time in Washington, Arlene's Flowers is under attack, too. This isn't a wave of scum attacking Muslim businesses; this is targeted harassment and government persecution of Christian businesses.

This all ties in nicely with my small government, hands-off philosophy. The baker has no obligation to provide you with his services or property. If we set that chilling precedent, I tremble thinking of what America will be like in just a few decades. The customer, in turn, has no right to demand the property or work of that baker, but he also has every right to go to another bakery. If you are going to force a Christian to involve themselves in activities they view as wrong, you are inflating government to a dangerous level. That's what these leftist radicals want to do. They want to force everyone to believe in their worldview. If you don't, then maybe you're just discriminating, maybe you're racist, maybe you're even homophobic.

This is my message: live and let live!

This used to be the mantra of the gay rights movement, and I completely agree with it! It isn't our business what goes on behind closed doors with two consenting adults, and the government has no right enforcing heterosexuality on homosexuals. What they're doing doesn't breach our rights, but what the government was doing did breach theirs. The tables have turned now, and the Marxists have hijacked the once fairly libertarian movement. Now, you must accept gay sex, you must accept our view of the world, you must give us your things because we used to be discriminated against by government policy. The ones pushing these policies act as if they have a right to the property of others simply by nature of their preferred status among leftist circles. That is unacceptable.

As your Senator, I will fight for religious freedom for the Midwest and the nation as a whole. Everyone can get behind the idea of "live and let live" and that is what I want. We all want to be left alone by the government and allowed to live as we please. That is what I'll fight for. I'll fight for the right of everyone to live and act as they please, so long as they aren't violating the rights of their fellow citizens. As a religious Christian (and a compassionate human being), this issue means a lot to me. Everyone has the right to worship and believe as they will, and I will fight to preserve and guarantee that right in the US Senate every day with every fiber of my being.

God Bless America!

View full PR

• Thanks 1

Johnathon Grant

For Immediate Release

Image result for josh hawley speaking

DAYTON, OHIO - Representative Johnathon Grant (R-MO) held a rally today in Dayton, Ohio, to talk about economic issues, primarily the tariffs he has been infamous for splitting with much of his party over. 

"Hello, good people of Dayton! My, it is good to be back! I came here a couple of times on business trips, and I learned to love this city. So great to be back and connect with you guys. After my spiel here, I will be glad to meet and shake hands with you guys in the lobby.

I want to talk to you guys about tariffs and the economy. As you know, President Trump slapped tariffs on a variety of countries, most notoriously China, in an effort to do...well, the messaging was mixed. President Trump sometimes claimed it was to negotiate freer trade, stopping currency manipulation, unfair trading practices, and un-reciprocated trade barriers. Other times, Mr. Trump said it was to combat our enormous trade deficit with China, which is actually fairly meaningless. The messaging from the proponents of these tariffs has been mixed as well, including my Republican primary opponent, Mr. Anthony Granata. I know a lot of people are in favor of these tariffs, and I know a lot who aren't or who don't know much about the whole situation in general. So, real quickly, we are going to talk about these tariffs, the effect they are having on our economy, their legitimacy, and how I want to deal with them.

So, first off, what is a tariff? A tariff is a tax, a tax placed on everyone in the nation for the benefit of a few people. These tariffs artificially raise prices on imports from other nations, forcing Americans to pay higher prices for the same quality they could get at lower prices. It is government meddling in an economy to protect favored sectors of an economy, near to the very definition of central planning, which is most definitely not in the spirit of capitalism and free enterprise, a central tenet of conservative economic philosophy. 

'Oh, but look at these astounding trade deficits!' the tariff proponents will say. Even Mr. Granata says,'In 2017 we had a trade deficit with China of $375 billion. THAT is being taken advantage of. We're not going build the Chinese economy with a kiosk of their own right in our backyard without a price tag. If they're using the U.S. market to profit, we're going to charge them to do so. Especially when we have such a high deficit with them.' I agree, those are some pretty big numbers! But they don't actually mean much when it comes to trade and economic policy! According to acclaimed economist Thomas Sowell, author of many books that I highly recommend,'In general, international deficits and surpluses have virtually no correlation with the performance of most nations' economies. Germany and France have had international trade surpluses while their unemployment rates were in double digits. Japan's postwar rise to economic prominence on the world stage included years when it ran deficits, as well as years when it ran surpluses.' He describes America's flip-flopping between becoming a debtor and creditor nation throughout its history, and he ends with,'Through it all, the American standard of living has remained the highest in the world, unaffected by whether it was a creditor or a debtor nation.' You have a trade deficit with your local grocer! After all, you come out of the store with less money than you went in with, but the key is that you come out with products that are better than you could've just made yourself. Instead of investing all your time and energy into making your own watermelon garden, you can just go to Walmart and buy a couple for like 3 bucks. In other words, these big trade deficit numbers don't have much, if anything, to do with economic prosperity. 

'BUT THE JOBS,' they say,'CHINA AND MEXICO ARE STEALING OUR JOBS!' Eh, maybe, but most of our manufacturing jobs have actually been lost to automation, to robots. I know this one hits home to you guys here in Ohio. Indeed, Mr. Granata cited an example from this great state. He said,'Look  at Ohio for instance . Almost 35,000 American jobs gone due to free trade  with Mexico. For what?' This would seem to be a fairly competent argument, right? We certainly don't want Americans impoverished and unemployed. I know I don't. However, it is also important to look at the fact that almost 90% of manufacturing jobs have been lost to those darn robots, not to the Chinese. Manufacturing output in this time has also grown, not shrunk. The manufacturing industry isn't shrinking; it is changing! And while US manufacturing has lost 5 million jobs from 2000-2016, and according to Granata, Ohio has lost 35,000 American jobs in Ohio,  unemployment has gone down since the Great Recession. Indeed, here in Dayton, the unemployment rate was already down to 4 percent in September 2018, even as the manufacturing industry kept leaving and changing. The downward trend of the unemployment rate already started years before. It is a similar story for Ohio as a whole. There aren't a finite number of possible jobs in the world. New ones are created all the time, in new sectors of the economy we can't even imagine. Government deciding favored industries helps no one. Government allowing the markets to be free and innovate helps everyone.

But President Trump has been useful and helpful there. He directed the government to start and pursue massive deregulation. He rescinded the tyrannical and harmful Waters of the US rule. He pulled out of the Paris Climate Accord, and our economy is achieving those goals without government harm and innovation. President Trump knows that part of the economy well. Props to him and the administration for that, and I'm glad Paul Vang will keep that policy of deregulation and economic freedom going, so I definitely recommend voting for him.

The important thing, though, is what I want to do about this. That is a good question, and I've talked a bit with Paul Vang about it. I will work with President Vang to end the tariffs. We can't successfully open up trade if we get rid of our leverage on day one. That's why I will work with President Vang to resolve our trade worries, end the tariffs, and restore them to their constitutional home, Congress. Because in reality, the executive doesn't have the power to levy tariffs. That power resides solely in Congress, but Congress got lazy and let the President have tariff power, which is wrong. If we don't want that power falling into the hands of the opposite party, we shouldn't allow the position to have that power at all. I will work to resolve the legitimate trade worries, such as China's currency devaluation and foreign tariffs (and those are the actual legitimate trade concerns) with a President Vang first, then we shall end the tariffs and restore the balance of power the Constitution set. We can't just ignore the Constitution when it is convenient. I will work with Mr. Vang and his administration, along with my fellow Republicans in Congress, to create a climate of economic prosperity where everyone can advance and do well in life. That means continuing the already successful laissez-faire policies like deregulation that the current administration has performed so well.

In short, I will work with the administration to end the harmful tariffs with good trade terms with foreign powers and to continue to foster a climate of economic greatness! God bless you, Ohio, and God bless America!"

Johnathon Grant proceeded to do a meet-and-greet for half an hour, shaking hands, exchanging hello's, and having meaningful conversations with a few Ohioans about their political concerns and ideas. For anyone wishing to explore more about the statistics Mr. Grant cited, please follow these links:

http://fortune.com/2016/11/08/china-automation-jobs/

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.oh.htm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/190710/unemployment-rate-in-ohio-since-1992/

View full PR

• Thanks 1

From the Office of Representative Johnathon Smith

Why Our Dear Governor is Wrong About the Second Amendment

Governor Travere does not understand our great second amendment. There is ample evidence of this, but the most recent example comes with his opposition to Midwestern GOP efforts to expand gun rights, something Travere somehow manages to view as tyrannical. Let's break this down.

Travere criticized the Midwestern GOP's push to deregulate and safeguard gun rights, saying,"...it makes  it so  the Midwestern  Legislature cannot pass ANY regulation  on  rifles  or shotguns  whatsoever. None. That is dangerous and irresponsible. The second amendment states “well regulated militia”, it does not say “a militia  with no regulations...". This is where our dear governor betrays his ignorance on the Second Amendment, and the meaning of the phrase "well-regulated militia." This phrase simply means that the militia shall be trained and disciplined; it does not imply or permit federal government or regional government regulation. The meaning Travere ignorantly assigns it is a modern interpretation, which is not how amendments or the Constitution as a whole are to be read. If it were to be read by that, then the purpose of the militia would be void anyway, because then Congress would exercise too much control over the militia for it to effectively resist tyranny and overreach. It makes no sense for the Second Amendment to declare a right that the government shall not infringe upon, but then grant the Congress power to pass regulation as we know it today. 

But none of that ultimately matters, anyway. What Governor Erick Travere doesn't realize is that the Second Amendment is split into two clauses: the operative clause and the prefatory clause. The prefatory clause declares a purpose, while the operative clause is the actual law and language enforced and followed. The prefatory clause is,"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State...". This clause, being a prefatory/purpose clause, does NOT limit or expand the operative clause. It doesn't grant power, nor does it prohibit power. This was widely understood at the time as well, but Travere, along with other radical statist politicians, have either forgotten this or choose to ignore it.

For anyone who wants to know more, especially if you are Governor Travere, I recommend the Supreme Court's opinion in the case D.C. v. Heller.

Governor Erick Travere is no friend of your rights. He tried to suspend your First Amendment rights, and now he stands in the way of your Second Amendment rights. It is time to take a stand and defend our rights from our own government at the polls this November. Vote GOP to safeguard your natural rights!

• Thanks 1

For Immediate Release

Grant Holds Primary Victory Rally in Des Moines

DES MOINES, IA - Rep. Grant spoke today at a rally in Des Moines celebrating his victory in the GOP Midwest Senate Primary. He also took some time towards the end to fend off Democratic attacks. 

“Good afternoon, everyone! What a great day, we just got the results from the primary today. I want to congratulate Representative Granata on a well-fought campaign. I look forward to working with him in Congress to get good conservative policy done and to work to accomplish Paul Vang’s amazing agenda. 

Today, we had a victory for small government ideas. We had a victory for the idea that government exists to protect the rights of the people, the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I want to thank the Midwest voters for choosing me as your GOP nominee in the coming election. 

As we move forward, I will continue to champion small government that leaves the people alone but for the protection of their natural rights. I will continue to fight for economic freedom and prosperity. I will continue to fight for the security of America. I will continue to fight for the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This I promise all of the Midwest. In fact, I want to announce that we will be publishing a document, a contract with the Midwestern voter, a full promise of what I’ll fight for and advocate for as Senator from the Midwest. 

Real quickly, I want to address some dishonest Democratic attacks: no, I don’t think women who were raped or victims of incest or whose life is in danger should be forced to have their baby, I never said that. I specifically said that I didn’t think that. I never said desperate and scared women deserve to die, I specifically said the opposite. I did word one Tweet awkwardly to where it would seem like that, but I did clarify later on what I was actually saying. That is all I have to say on the matter. I know that nothing I say will quiet these dishonest attacks, but I wanted to clear the record with the great voters of this country. You guys are too good for these dishonest attacks. 

I also want to announce that we will be going to Michigan soon, as well as going back to Kentucky and going to Minnesota. 

Y'all have been great tonight. I’ll be walking around and talking with you. I want to hear your concerns personally. For now, though, I want to end my speech with a prayer: “Almighty God, thank you for this great victory, and thank you for our victories that are yet to come. You are great in all that you do, and I know you guide us with your hand and word. Help us to find your way and follow it and to not stray far from the path you set for us. God, bless this country and it’s great, fine people. Bless this country, the freest country on Earth. Bless these great people here tonight with safety on their ways home and on their journey into the future. We thank you for all that you have done and continue to do. We are forever in your debt. Amen.”

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this