TedderVision
Calvin Ward

21st Century Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act

4 minutes ago, Calvin Ward said:

Mr  Ward, with thanks to Mr  Schumer

https://www.congress.gov/110/bills/s1348/BILLS-110s1348pcs.xml

Ooc: this is a big bill  @Batman has allowed a link to be used

Title will be understood to be 21st Century Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act and dates to reflect in game dates. 

I can't get the link to work. 

Mr. Speaker,

I rise today because we have finally met an immigration bill which meets the needs of our ailing immigration system. We have a solution in front of us which increases the  security of our borders and also establishes a comprehensive and legal path towards American citizenship. Fixing the American immigration system is much more complex than building a wall, or saying that we need open borders. It is about protecting the sanctity of our laws while also acknowledging the great benefits immigration has had on our own nation.  

I am proud to say that we have finally produced the immigration bill Americans were waiting for. The last time a similar bill  like this  was brought up in congress, 14 Republican voted in favor. I call my fellow Republican colleagues to action today, and to work with us to get this bill through congress and signed by the President. I call for you to speak up for what is right, and to speak up for protecting the integrity of our American immigration system.

Let me read to you some of the great things this bill does. It enlists our reserved soldiers into the border patrol, creates greater oversight on our blue-card migrants,  establishes a merit-based migrant system and creates an integration program that will help assimilate migrants into the American way of life, by helping them learn English and get a comprehensive education that fits the needs of our society.

My friends, all of these proposals aren't new. They are proposals proposed by both Republicans and Democrats alike. The Democrats are rising to the challenge to protect our borders, are the Republican ready to join us?

I Yield

• Like 1

Mr. Speaker,

The Republicans are ready to pass border security and immigration reform. We are not, however, willing to pass sweeping amnesty provisions that will allow for the naturalization of tens of millions of illegal aliens. That is an insult to those who follow the law and come here legally. There are great things this bill does, but the RPI provisions are a non-starter. 

This bill will not get my support, nor, I suspect, will it garner the support of my Republican colleagues.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

I was afraid there would be some major loophole in the bill so I made certain to read through the whole thing myself. However, I fail to see what our Republican colleagues' objections to this bill is. It provides for virtually everything in question. Worried about border security? There's a whole section devoted to that. Concerned about being able to deport dangerous criminals? Its included very clearly.

I yield.

16 minutes ago, Russ said:

Mr. Speaker,

I was afraid there would be some major loophole in the bill so I made certain to read through the whole thing myself. However, I fail to see what our Republican colleagues' objections to this bill is. It provides for virtually everything in question. Worried about border security? There's a whole section devoted to that. Concerned about being able to deport dangerous criminals? Its included very clearly.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

This bill provides amnesty to anyone that was here illegally before 2011. As of now, there are approximately 3.7 million unlawful immigrant households in the U.S. These households impose a net fiscal burden of around $54.5 billion per year. This bill is costly, and spits in the face of those who come here through legal means. It will be a fiscal burden if we pass this bill, and a slap in the face to all who come here legally looking for opportunity.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

This bill is grossly soft on the criminality of those who's entire presence in the country is unlawful. Under the requirements of gaining RPI status which is the first step in the pathway to citizenship for this bill individuals who commit acts of assault, DUI/DWI, domestic violence, burglary, resisting arrest, obscenity, perjury, possession of a controlled substance, property theft, making a false report, unlawful possession of a weapon, and violating a restraining order will be allowed to stay in the country granted they haven't committed three offenses. Additionally felonious identity theft will be ignored by the requirements of the bill for RPI status ignoring millions of American victims. In cases of identity theft at the hands of illegal aliens we've seen particularly the targeting of American children for their identities destroying their financial future before even having the opportunity to make something of themselves as an adult. Their prospects of the American dream are hijacked by those with no valid claim to the American dream whatsoever. Every crime committed by an illegal alien in the country is preventable with strong enforcement but instead we have individuals in this government who not only do not care to prevent there being victims of illegal alien crime but furthermore they will reward them in defiance to their victims both past and future. No illegal alien's desires should take priority to the safety and well being of those we are elected to serve. The rule of law as a deterrent is only as strong as our willingness to follow through on consequences for violation of the law. Rewarding millions of illegal aliens with a pathway to citizenship is an affront to the rule of law hopping in front of those in line trying to immigrate here the right way. Amnesty serves no security or crime prevention purpose. Just like we've seen before in American history amnesty acts as a magnet for more illegal immigration with new hopefuls for the next amnesty. We've been told just one more amnesty over and over time and time again. With the expansion of immigration visas under this bill we'll be helping facilitate more illegal immigration with visa overstays that otherwise wouldn't be happening. With no provisions to go after sanctuary cities they'll still have safe havens to retreat to after they overstay as well. One cannot claim to see illegal immigration as a major problem yet seek  to ignore full enforcement of the law. That is the fundamental flaw of this bill which has been developed by those seeking to hand wave the law to the detriment of the American people.

I yield

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russ said:

Mr. Speaker,

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

I understand my Democratic colleague here seeks bipartisan compromise, and that is completely understandable. A compromise can be made, but this one isn’t the compromise we need nor want. The bill is indeed too lenient. Leader Vang did an excellent job detailing our qualms, and I point anyone seeking compromise or understanding to his arguments.

I yield. 

*hand off*

Mr. Speaker,

I rise today in support of this bill. The members of the party opposite are sticking firm that amnesty is a bad way forward. That they cannot support it. However, we know that they are actually quite willing to offer it up. The issue has been and remains that the Republicans aren’t getting the wall president trump promised. The gentleman from Missouri said that very thing on Twitter. He promised the American people a wall, and that Mexico was going to pay for it. Now? The American people are being told they have to foot the bill. Promises made? Promises broken. 

For two years many in the party opposite had opportunity to accomplish their goal. Why did they wait? Was it not important? Was it not a priority? Did a witch curse them with a kiss to cause their slothful ways? So now they believe that we should make it part of a deal. That they owe something to the American people. And they do. They owe them an apology. The party opposite has said “Mexico will pay for this wall” and now they are going to shuffle their feet again because of broken promises. 

They talked about how this bill failed its first time up. But let’s be clear, it was not that it did not garner the votes. It failed because of Republican inaction. Mr. Speaker, maybe we are seeing a theme here. One party has tried to do something, the other side does nothing. Then the side of inaction complains about illegal immigration. Then they do nothing. Here we are, the second time in a decade to get something done, and it remains Republican inaction on this exact bill. They talk so often about how much they are going to do something, may I say to the party opposite, “the time is now”. Doing nothing IS amnesty. Doing nothing doesn’t fix the problem. 

They say that they will do this but want a wall, but fail to understand they already have one. Didn’t Gov. Swanner in Texas begin a wall with identical funds that the Republicans have wanted? They say we need a wall, they’ve already got one. Instead of doing a victory lap because they were able to get something done, they’re going to act like toddlers until we give them a redundancy wall. 

Do I expect them to vote for this bill? Absolutely not. If it fails will I hold myself as responsible? Absolutely not. Isn’t it amazing Mr. Speaker, they do all the talk, but they stand in the way come time to walk. I wash my hands of them. Illegal immigration continued in 2014 and continues now because of Do Nothing Republicans. It’s time they put up or shut up

i yield. 

3 hours ago, SWMissourian said:

Mr. Speaker,

I understand my Democratic colleague here seeks bipartisan compromise, and that is completely understandable. A compromise can be made, but this one isn’t the compromise we need nor want. The bill is indeed too lenient. Leader Vang did an excellent job detailing our qualms, and I point anyone seeking compromise or understanding to his arguments.

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

If our Republican colleagues would be kind enough to point out the sections they find objectionable, I am certain we can agree on at least one amendment dealing with that. It does require some reading but I have every confidence they can do it.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

I move to strike the following:

Sec. 2101. Registered provisional immigrant status.
Sec. 2102. Adjustment of status of registered provisional immigrants.
Sec. 2103. The DREAM Act.
Sec. 2104. Additional requirements.
Sec. 2105. Criminal penalty.
Sec. 2106. Grant program to assist eligible applicants.
Sec. 2107. Conforming amendments to the Social Security Act.
Sec. 2108. Government contracting and acquisition of real property interest.
Sec. 2109. Long-term legal residents of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Sec. 2110. Rulemaking.
Sec. 2111. Statutory construction.

Sec. 2201. Short title.
Sec. 2202. Definitions.

Sec. 2211. Requirements for blue card status.
Sec. 2212. Adjustment to permanent resident status.
Sec. 2213. Use of information.
Sec. 2214. Reports on blue cards.
Sec. 2215. Authorization of appropriations.

Sec. 2221. Correction of social security records.

Sec. 2231. Nonimmigrant classification for nonimmigrant agricultural workers.
Sec. 2232. Establishment of nonimmigrant agricultural worker program.
Sec. 2233. Transition of H–2A Worker Program.
Sec. 2234. Reports to Congress on nonimmigrant agricultural workers.

Sec. 2241. Rulemaking.
Sec. 2242. Reports to Congress.
Sec. 2243. Benefits integrity programs.
Sec. 2244. Effective date.

In Subtitle C, strike the following,

Sec. 2314. Discretionary authority with respect to removal, deportation, or inadmissibility of citizen and resident immediate family members.

And,

CHAPTER 2—PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP

Sec. 2531. Establishment of United States Citizenship Foundation.
Sec. 2532. Funding.
Sec. 2533. Purposes.
Sec. 2534. Authorized activities.
Sec. 2535. Council of directors.
Sec. 2536. Powers.
Sec. 2537. Initial Entry, Adjustment, and Citizenship Assistance Grant Program.
Sec. 2538. Pilot program to promote immigrant integration at State and local levels.
Sec. 2539. Naturalization ceremonies.

Sec. 2541. Authorization of appropriations.

Sec. 2551. Waiver of English requirement for senior new Americans.
Sec. 2552. Filing of applications not requiring regular internet access.
Sec. 2553. Permissible use of assisted housing by battered immigrants.
Sec. 2554. United States citizenship for internationally adopted individuals.
Sec. 2555. Treatment of certain persons as having satisfied English and civics, good moral character, and honorable service
and discharge requirements for naturalization.

I yield.

Edited by Nubbie

Motion to amend recognized for a 24 hr vote which has begun

However, motion to extend debate did not receive a second. 

Debate has ended and will begin after the amendment vote