Midwestern Equality Act

Midwestern Equality Act

Mr. Travere, for himself and others, submits the following bill

A BILL

To prohibit discrimination in the Midwest

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE

This act shall be cited as the Midwestern Equality Act

SECTION 2. PROHIBITION OF DISCRIMINATION IN HOUSING

1. It shall be unlawful for all property owners renting or leasing property to discriminate based on,

1. Sexual orientation,

2. Race,

3. Gender and,

4. Sexual Identity

SECTION 3. PROHIBITION OF DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT

1. It shall be unlawful for all employers to discriminate against potential employees on the basis of,

1. Sexual orientation,

2. Race,

3. Gender and,

4. Sexual identity

SECTION 4. PUNISHMENT

1. Any persons found to be in violation of sections 2 or 3 shall be subject to up to 6 months in a minimum security penitentiary and up to $2,500 fine.

SECTION 5. DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE

1. All references to the words “husband” or “wife” in the midwestern state code shall be substituted with the phrase “spouse.”

SECTION 6. ENACTMENT

This act shall go into effect upon this bill's passage.

(Speaker)

Reminder of the recently updated rule: 5. A minimum of 72 hours shall be given for debate on a proposed bill, which may be extended by a majority vote via a motion in the legislature or the discretion of the Speaker. A maximum of 48 hours, after the minimum amount of time for debate has passed, shall be given for the Governor and Regional Leader to submit the respective whips for their parties for any vote on a motion, bill, etc. Whips may be submitted during the debate period.

Please commence debate.

@Dogslife @James Grant

Mr. Speaker,

It is a sad state of affairs when there are American citizens being denied jobs and housing just because of who they are. This bill will make it illegal for people to deny employment or housing because of someone’s sexual orientation or identity. All citizens in this country should be equal. And We should not allow bigotry in our employment and housing. I urge all members of this body to support this bill because it is morally right.

I yield

Mr. Speaker,

I move to strike section 5. It's looking to redefine a sacred definition that has gone unchanged for centuries. It is not a change inline with those who support traditional values.

I yield

(Speaker)

Shall we hear any additional arguments or whips in relation to the proposed move to strike?

Mr. Speaker,

The section does look to redefine marriage, it is there to update our laws so we can be inclusive. The gay community does exist and they should have recognition under our laws. We can’t just leave them out in some sort of lawless limbo land where the laws don’t completely recognize their marriage, that’s just not right. So I urge this body to vote no on this amendment.

(Level 2 Nay)

I yield

(Speaker)

With a vote of 48 Ayes and 52 Nays, the motion to amend does not pass.  Debate shall continue or leaders may issue their whips on final passage or both.

@Dogslife @James Grant In light of the hiatus and the unusual time interlude involved, I was just checking to see if there are any objections or words of support/disagreement for the motion of unanimous consent once the game/elections officially resumes.