TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Sovereign

Craig Daniels (D-IA) Press Office

Craig Daniels

qBetzm8.png

From the Press Office of Congressman Craig Daniels

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

"At 61%, the vast majority of Americans around the country generally approve of labor unions. A record number of Americans also believe that unions should have more influence in the workplace. However, labor unions are being severely crippled around the country by right-to-work laws. Now, some of you might be thinking, 'What are right to work laws? Surely, laws with such a benign name couldn't be all that bad.' That problem is that these laws are creating new barriers for unions by limiting recruitment and fundraising opportunities, and stretches their resources to the very limit. This, in turn, renders unions' ability to collectively bargain impotent, and ultimately makes it harder for workers to argue for higher wagers and better benefits from their employers.

"More states than ever have implemented these laws, including five out the nine states that encompass the Midwest, and we are seeing real consequences. The Economic Policy Institute found that the average worker in states with right-to-work laws earns 3.1% less than a worker in a state without right-to-work. That's over $1,500 out of working family's pockets, and other studies have put the number as high as nearly $6,000. But it's not just wages are being affected. We have also seen measurable declines in healthcare benefits in right-to-work states, as well as increases in workplace fatalities and higher poverty rates. Clearly, right-to-work is wrong for the Midwest, and it's wrong for America.

"I've worked with both union workers and union leaders. They are not suits and ties, but men and women in hardhats and overalls. They know what it's like to pay a mortgage, to live paycheck-to-paycheck, to struggle with paying for high health insurance premiums while sending their kids to school. It's up to us to stand together, so that we may build a better life for all of us, and I will stand with you by voting against right-to-work in the House and again in the United States Senate."

View full PR

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Craig Daniels

QX4ELlS.png

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Craig Daniels (D-IA) and Paul Vang (R-WI) have released a joint-press statement announcing the introduction of the bipartisan Violent Crime Prevention Resources Act.

House Minority Leader Paul Vang

"At the most basic level, government is entrusted with the responsibility of protecting its citizens. With the bill introduced by Mr. Daniels and myself, we will extend resources to combat criminal violence in the ten most violent cities, help the COPS program hire new law enforcement officers, and improve benefits for public safety officers. We owe it to those who serve the public to give them all that they need to succeed in their duty and this bill will go a long way towards doing just that."

Congressman Craig Daniels

"Crime is on the rise in our home region, with recent spikes as reported by local law enforcement officials. Out of the ten most violent cities in the United States, five of them are in the Midwest. In Milwaukee, the FBI projects there is about 65 incidents of violent crimes per 10,000 resident. Those violent crimes include murder, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. In Detroit, that number goes up to 83. In St. Louis, 88. Based on data by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there would only be 21 officers out of 10,000 residents able to respond to these calls. As it stands, police officers are too undermanned and overwhelmed. They need our help.

"Mr. Vang and I don't normally see eye-to-eye on the issues, but when we see a crisis facing our region, I know that we can come together to solve the issues and the Midwest is all the stronger for that. Together, we've written up a bill that will allow the COPS Office to spend its funds in order to help local communities bring in new officers on the force. The Violent Crime Prevention Resources Act will also expand benefits for those officers, and appropriate $25 million to the cities across the country most stricken with violence so that those communities will have the tools they need to take on crime."

View full PR

• Thanks 1

qBetzm8.png

Craig Daniels Supports A Minimum Wage Increase to $12/Hour

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

"Crushing poverty has put an enormous amount of pressure on millions across America. An overwhelming 80% of Americans do not feel they'd be able to support themselves or their families on the federal minimum wage, and 70% believe that income equality is only getting worse. 57% of Americans believe that is up to us here in Washington to do something about it, and 66% believe we can do that with a minimum wage hike not to $9, not to $10, not to $11, but $12 and fifty cents per hour. This includes 92 percent of Democrats, 73 percent of independents, and 53 percent of Republicans. Clearly, this is a bipartisan issue.

"Some have argued that such a hike would be detrimental to small business. However, it would seem that those employers disagree, with 61% supporting an increase to at least $10.10 per hour. Small business owners believe that by increasing the minimum wage, we can increase consumer purchasing power, improve their bottom lines, and stimulate the local economy. 57% of Americans are in agreement. It is up to us to do what we can to pull our poorest out of poverty. It is not only a moral imperative, but more money in our Americans' pockets means more money going back into our economy, and more prosperity for us all. That is why I will be fighting for $12/hour in the United States Senate."

Source: https://www.nelp.org/wp-content/uploads/Minimum-Wage-Basics-Polling.pdf

• Thanks 1

qBetzm8.png

Craig Daniels Proposes "Real Pro-Life" Measures

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

"I was raised Methodist.  I grew up in a religious household and my mother was a very religious woman. We went to church every Sunday, and read from the Scripture. Nowhere in it did we see any mention of a fetus or the sin of abortion. Now, maybe this is not a fair analogy, because obviously abortion was not really the widespread concept as we know it in biblical times, but my point is that this is a very contentious issue.

"Personally, I do not advocate for abortion, except in cases of rape, incest, and a mother's health. However, I understand it is a decision that no woman makes lightly, and that they should not suffer or die because they made a mistake. Roe v. Wade has settled the issue of abortion, by declaring that men and women have the right to sovereignty over their own bodies. And that decision deserves our respect. However, that does not mean we can't create new options to help reduce abortions. Over 12% of couples cannot have children. If we were to expand and simplify the adoption process, we could help to create whole new happy families. We can also help to reduce abortions by expanding sex education programs and improving access to birth control medication and other feminine hygiene products. Not only will this reduce the likelihood of unwanted pregnancies, but it can also help to prevent the spread of sexually-transmitted diseases. Planned Parenthood, despite its faults, actually does a lot of good in this category. And while I don't generally think its appropriate for taxpayer funds to be used on non-emergency abortion procedures, the fact of the matter is that Planned Parenthood only spends 3% of its budget on abortion services. In contrast, 42% goes toward STD screening and treatment and 34% to contraception, 11% to women's health products, and 9% for cancer screening. That sounds like a lot more good than harm to me, and I think it's worthy of protection.

"A vote for me is a vote for a real pro-life plan—one that works for women and the unborn alike."

• Thanks 1

qBetzm8.png

Craig Daniels Outlines "Promise to the Midwest" Agenda

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Senatorial candidate Craig Daniels has released his official platform to his campaign website today detailing key policy positions ahead of the general election. The full excerpt is as follows:

"Promise to the Midwest

"As your Senator, I promise to...

"...expand affordable health coverage by improving Obamacare with a federal public option and taking on Big Pharma's drug pricing tactics.

"...strengthen manufacturing Made in the Midwest by reworking America's trade deals and rolling back the harmful Trump tariffs.

"...develop and modernize American railways to better connect Midwestern communities and meet the demands of a 21st Century economy.

"...take on crime and violence by providing communities with the resources to strengthen local law enforcement.

"...improve trust between communities and law enforcement by establishing civilian oversight and national law enforcement training standards.

"...enact campaign finance reform to keep money and special interests out of Washington, and ensure that politicians work for their constituency first.

"...repeal the Taft-Hartley Act, which has enabled anti-union laws that create lower wages and lesser benefits for workers in the states they are enacted.

"...help farmers and agricultural communities by tearing down unfair trade barriers and help give them the tools they need to succeed.

"...increase rural broadband access to allow small businesses and Midwest communities to have a bigger stake in the growing digital economy.

"...improve access to birth control and sex education to prevent the likelihood of unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

"...expand adoption services to help in creating new, happy families for hundreds of thousands of foster children.

"...keep our promise to America's veterans by tackling the homelessness epidemic and maintaining their access to key health services.

"...raise the minimum wage to at least $12/hour and tie it to inflation, so that every American can earn a wage to keep up with the cost of living.

"...keep Americans safe from all threats, foreign and domestic, by strengthening counter-terrorism agencies and taking on emboldened hostile powers.

"...work to end the $1 trillion student loan debt crisis through student loan forgiveness, a bolstered federal grant program, and tuition-free community college.

"...protect Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid from attack on all fronts.

"...reach across the aisle to create solutions that work for all Americans.

"Yours sincerely,

"Craig H. Daniels"

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this