TedderVision
Sovereign

Craig Daniels for Senate | Town Hall Event | Rochester, Minnesota

qBetzm8.png

Town Hall Event in Rochester, Minnesota

image.png.486b8b7acd8bfa6def5d14d7b2817fc5.png

"Hello, everybody! Thank you so much for being out here tonight! What a lovely spring evening it is here in Minnesota. Tonight, we're going to be taking questions directly from you guys, because I know many of you have some very valid concerns you'd like to be addressed. We also got some members of the press here, and if we have time towards the end, we'll take some questions from them as well. If you all could just form a nice, orderly line here, my good friend here will pass the mic over to our first guest and we'll get started."

The floor is now open for questions.

Edited by Sovereign

On 12/28/2018 at 10:36 PM, Dogslife said:

Why should we, the voters, chose you to be our next senator?

With respect to my fellow candidates, I am the only candidate with a working-class background. I was never the Rhodes Scholar, or the valedictorian on a full-ride. I'm just a simple guy who has lived the Dream, where you work your way to success with nothing but family and God by your side, where you know and love your neighbor, and where sometimes you have to make the hard choices, like the power or the food in the fridge. To answer your question, sir, I think I am uniquely qualified to represent the working-class families of the Midwest, because I've lived the life, and I've personally experienced the issues we all know and face.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:25 AM, Russ said:

Congressman,

What are your views on school choice? 

Well, mister, I certainly think our students should be able to choose what education would be most vital in ensuring their success. However, I think school choice has become a bit of a misnomer. For most students nowadays, their success is contingent on a college education, but for so many students that choice is out of reach.

Now, this isn't to deny that we struggle in the area of K-12 education. I think we could do with many improvements to our public educational system, such as an increase in funding, an expansion of Head Start, a reviewal of our current national standards, and so many other things. But there is no evidence that private schools have any sort of special magic that public schools are lacking. In fact, two separate studies of Louisiana schools have shown that private school attendees have performed significantly worse in math classes. In Milwaukee and Indianapolis, studies have shown that private school students are not performing any better or worse than public school students. What school vouchers do is funnel taxpayers funds away from our already-struggling public education into private education for the few without any real accountability. There are very few protections from discrimination, and little-to-no accommodations for special-needs students.

With that in mind, I think a school voucher program would irresponsible, and I think we can do better. Remember, it wasn't private enterprise that put a man on the moon.

Edited by Sovereign

18 hours ago, Paul Vang said:

Mr. Daniels,

do you support gun control measures like those called for by governor Travere?

I believe in responsible gun ownership. Me and my family are proud gun owners, in fact, and I take my son out hunting every fall. We know that guns hold an important place in millions of Americans' lives. However, with the unprecedented amount of gun violence that has plagued our nation, I feel it is our duty as responsible gun owners to address this issue. With common-sense measures, we can work to keep firearms out of the hands of those most likely to commit violence without curtailing the rights of lawful citizens to keep and bear arms. Now, I don't necessarily agree with everything Governor Travere has proposed, but I do like his proposal for a three-day waiting period and red flag laws to curb domestic gun violence, and I agree that we should work strength the laws already in place on background checks. And I believe the bump stocks ban that has been signed into law by President Trump is a step in the right direction.

Edited by Sovereign

Mr. Daniels,

The Second Amendment is not about hunting.  It is about the right to protect yourself against a tyranical government, foreign or domestic.  Certainly we can assume you are not a huge fan of President Trump.  Shouldn't liberals like yourself have a better understanding of the Constituion, considering how often you call Trump's actions unconstituional?  

Congressman,

While we're on the issue of violence, do you think the Federal government has the right priorities regarding terrorism when three-quarters of all attacks since 2000 have come from white supremacists and other extremists on the far-right?

15 hours ago, Cardinalfan9 said:

Mr. Daniels,

The Second Amendment is not about hunting.  It is about the right to protect yourself against a tyranical government, foreign or domestic.  Certainly we can assume you are not a huge fan of President Trump.  Shouldn't liberals like yourself have a better understanding of the Constituion, considering how often you call Trump's actions unconstituional?  

Well, sir, I'm afraid you'd have to ask them for yourself. There are many issues I've not agreed with the President on, but I've never accused him of taking actions that are counter to our constitutional values. I feel that's something best left to the courts and the federal judiciary to determine.

But you are right. The Second Amendment is not about hunting. It's about the right to keep and bear arms, and that holds a different significance in many Americans' lives whether they use those arms for hunting, sport, defense of the home, or all three. I respect and value your rights, however you may exercise them, and will only strive for common-sense gun regulations that will affect criminals, not law-abiding citizens, by creating new barriers to prevent dangerous individuals from using firearms for violence.

5 hours ago, Russ said:

Congressman,

While we're on the issue of violence, do you think the Federal government has the right priorities regarding terrorism when three-quarters of all attacks since 2000 have come from white supremacists and other extremists on the far-right?

I believe the priorities of federal counter-terrorism efforts should be where the threats to public safety are most prevalent. The evidence does show that the majority of acts that would fit the definition of terrorism occur domestically and are perpetuated by white nationalist organizations, and it has become especially widespread here in the Midwest. That is why I have sponsored the Violent Crimes Prevention Resources Act with House Minority Leader Paul Vang, and why I will be voting for the Defeat of Internal Threats Act—so that local and federal law enforcement agencies the tools they need to tackle these threats.

(Jennifer Lane; Reporter, Chicago Tribune)

Representative Daniels, many voters in the Democratic party believe that their party's candidates should more be more reflective of America's changing demographics. As a white, straight, married male, how would you address the concerns and desires of those voters?

Relatedly, the Midwest legislature passed a resolution condemning the 'White Crusaders', yet that group still claims they will be rallying in Skokie, Illinois and there are unconfirmed reports that they've been responsible for vandalizing and/or burglarizing marijuana shops in the Detroit area. Should the Midwest government or federal government be taking additional actions against this or other groups? Should they be permitted to rally in Skokie?

13 hours ago, Magenta said:

(Jennifer Lane; Reporter, Chicago Tribune)

Representative Daniels, many voters in the Democratic party believe that their party's candidates should more be more reflective of America's changing demographics. As a white, straight, married male, how would you address the concerns and desires of those voters?

Relatedly, the Midwest legislature passed a resolution condemning the 'White Crusaders', yet that group still claims they will be rallying in Skokie, Illinois and there are unconfirmed reports that they've been responsible for vandalizing and/or burglarizing marijuana shops in the Detroit area. Should the Midwest government or federal government be taking additional actions against this or other groups? Should they be permitted to rally in Skokie?

"Thank you, Jennifer, for the question. This is something that is often on my mind. It is not something many of us across the nation can fully appreciate because we don't personally experience it, but it is a problem that millions of men and women across the country face unique barriers across an economic, a cultural and a legal front for no other reason than the color of their skin, or who they love, or where they come from. The voters want candidates who they can trust to understand and relate to their struggles. Poverty is perhaps the greatest barrier to equality of our time, affecting racial and ethnic minorities by a double-digit margin. I know how many doors it closes for so many young people across the country. I've lived that life. And I understand that with the erosion of and lack of action on equal protections, our system is only setting up the African American community, the Latino community, and the LGBT community for failure. That must change. As your Senator, I will strive to decrease the overwhelming income disparity along racial lines, support legislation to fully outlaw employment and housing discrimination, oppose funding disparities that negatively impact predominately-minority public schools, expand opportunities for minority students to pursue a higher education, and end the practice of racial and religious profiling.

"That all said, I'm glad you brought up the issue of the White Crusaders. I 100% condemn and denounce their message, but I believe it would be just as antithetical to our democratic values if they were to be barred from rallying in Skokie. However, given their history, I think it would be prudent for local law enforcement to remain on alert and be prepared to intervene should it become apparent that key figures within the organization is for the rioting in Detroit of or if there is reasonable cause to believe that they plan to commit a crime against Skokie residents or their property. That is why I created the Violent Crimes Prevention Resources Act with Republican Leader Paul Vang, and voted in favor of the Defeat of Internal Threats Act, to assure that law enforcement agencies have the tools they need to truly protect and serve their communities and identify these sort of threats before they become threats."