TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Is Russia's alleged influence in the 2016 election merely fair game?

All questions are asked to both candidates, so you should give their answer in addition to rebutting their opponents. You may speak as many times as you feel is necessary.

In response to Russia's alleged influence in the 2016 Presidential elections, many have condemned that nation's government. Would it be appropriate to condemn President Clinton's influence in the 1996 Russian or Israeli elections? Or President Bush's influence in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine? If not, why not?

To answer the main question no Russian interference in the 2016 election is not "merely fair game", frankly I think it is disgusting and must be combated with every available sinew of strength that we possess. I have made a campaign promise throughout this election to not only complete the Mueller investigation to check out potential collusion but also to  pass legislation relating to cyber-security for our elections and provide funding for that end. Our democracy is of the utmost importance, if people lose faith in it and in our institutions then we are finished as a nation, I hope that my opponent and I can agree on the need for security and clarity here.

Now the follow-up question was interesting, should we the United States treat others as we wish to be treated? I believe that we must yes. If the American people have a right to self-determination and a right to have their democratic voices heard them we must afford that same right to other peoples across the World. I do not believe that America should be interfering in the elections of other nations, our job is not to dictate to the World how they should be run, our job is to see where the World is going and adjust course accordingly. If a nation elects a reprehensible government then we will respond properly through international channels, for example if there is an election that leads to a war-mongers' election and said leader invades another illegally we should levy sanctions and prepare international coalitions to restore peace, then it is for the public of that nation to decide whether or not they want to keep their leader in power. Regime change should only come about internally unless there are serious human rights abuses going on. I believe that it was right that we overthrew Hussein in 2003, with or without WMDs, because he gassed his own people. In 2013 I was critical of President Obama for retreating from his red line against Assad, but I applauded him when he overthrew Gaddafi who threatened to massacre the people of Benghazi. Now we can argue about the follow-up to these missions, and I will be the first to say that we have not been good enough at winning the peace after the engagement, but these were legitimate incursions to remove human rights abusers from power. As President I would not hesitate to work with the international community to protect the World's people from human rights abuses that have no place in a modern, civilised society.

Countries influencing the elections of other countries is reprehensible no matter who the actor is.

In regards to preventing another situation like we saw with Russia in 2016, I've recently introduced the Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act into the House hopper. In my opinion, it's not enough just to talk about what you are going to do but rather lay your plans out for the public to read themselves. There's no need to wait for when one of us is elected President to do something about the issue. The bill will establish under the Department of State a Center for Information Analysis and Response to better coordinate within our government assessment and responses to attempts by foreign actors to engage in information wars.

Were it in place prior to the 2016 elections we would have been far better prepared to deal with the information war the Russians were engaged in. 

Sign in to follow this