TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Nubbie

Opening of the Senate

Chaplain: Almighty God, Lord of Creation, Ruler of the Nations, we thank Thee for Thy presence at this profoundly significant occasion. Help us to take seriously Thy Word, that all authority comes from Thee, and we are account- able to Thee in its exercise. Anoint Thy servants by Thy Holy Spirit with wisdom, strength, courage, and the power to do Thy will on Earth as It is in Heaven. As You have used civil servants for Your purposes throughout the centuries, whether a Pharaoh or a David, may these and all public servants understand that they are ministers of God for good. Help Thy servants to find the delicate balance be- tween representation and leadership. Help them use their power to serve, not to control. May Your blessing be upon them and their families and all who labor in the United States Senate, that this historic year fulfill Your purpose and bring glory unto Thee. We pray in His name in whom is all power. Amen.

VP Sharp: Order in the Senate! The chair lays before me the certificate of election of new members of the Senate who were elected for six year terms beginning on the 3rd of January 2021. All certificates, the chair is advised, are in the form suggested by the Senate or contain all the especially requirements of the forms suggested by the Senate. If there be no objection, the reading of the certificates will be waved and they will be printed in full in the record. 

If the senators to be sworn in will now present themselves at the desk in groups of four as their names are called, in alphabetical order, the chair will administer the oaths of office. The clerk will read the names of the first group. 

*first group is called*

VP Sharp: Please raise your right hand.

Do you solemnly swear that you will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that you bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that you take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that you will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which you are about to enter, so help you God? 

Senators: I do.

*all groups go through*

VP Sharp: The majority leader is recognized.

Senator Fitzgerald: Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent that the Senate proceed to the consideration of S. Res. 1, submitted earlier today.

VP Sharp: The clerk will report the resolution by title. 

Legislative clerk: A resolution (S. Res. 1) informing the President of the United States that a quorum of each House is assembled. There being no objection, the Senate proceeded to consider the resolution.

Senator Fitzgerald: Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent that the resolution be agreed to and the motion to reconsider be considered made and laid upon the table with no intervening action or debate.

VP Sharp: Pursuant to S. RES. 1, the Chair appoints the Senator from Texas, Mr. Fitzgerald, and the Senator from California, Mrs. Willenhouse, as a committee to join the committee on the part of the House of Representatives to wait upon the President of the United States and inform him that a quorum is assembled and that the Congress is ready to receive any communication he may be pleased to make.

Senator Fitzgerald: Mr. President, I have a resolution at the desk and I ask for its immediate consideration. 

VP Sharp: The clerk will report the resolution.

Legislative clerk: S. RES. 2, Informing the House of Representatives that a quorum of the Senate is assembled. 

VP Sharp: Without objection, the resolution is considered and agreed to.

Senator Fitzgerald: Mr. President, I have a resolution at the desk and I ask for its immediate consideration. 

VP Sharp: The clerk will report the resolution.

Legislative clerk: S. RES. 3, To elect Michael Madison, A Senator from the State of Indiana,  to be President Pro Tempore of the Senate of the United States.

VP Sharp: Without objection, the resolution is considered and agreed to. 

VP Sharp: Will Mr. Madison approach the chair?

*Senator Madison approaches*

VP Sharp: Please raise your right hand. Do solemnly swear that you will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that you will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that you take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that you will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which you are about to enter? 

Senator Madison: I do.

VP Sharp: Congratulations.

*The Vice President leaves the chamber and the Senate takes session.*

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this