TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
SWMissourian

Hearing: Dean Heller for Secretary of the Interior

Mr. Heller, I have 3 questions off the bat,

What is your view on oil and gas development on federal land?

As well as that, How would you try to help stop wild fires?

Lastly for now, What would you do to preserve the natural beauty of our country?

I yield

Edited by Dogslife

*Hands off gavel*

Mr. Heller,

Thank you for coming here today, and congratulations on your nomination. I just have a couple questions here:

We hear many stories about abuse of power coming from the Bureau of Land Management and other parts of the Department of the Interior, such as the Fish and Wildlife Service. These abuses impact ordinary, every-day Americans just trying to live their lives. Do you support reform within the Department to make appeals easier and increase transparency and accountability?

Also, I want to ask you how you feel about the state of federal land in this nation. The federal government has vast amounts of land under its ownership. Nevada and Utah don't even control much of their own territory. My questions are: how do you feel about the amount of land the federal government controls, and would you support handing some federal land to the control of some state governments?

Thank you, Mr. Heller, once more for coming here to answer our questions.

*Takes back gavel*

22 hours ago, Dogslife said:

Mr. Heller, I have 3 questions off the bat,

What is your view on oil and gas development on federal land?

As well as that, How would you try to help stop wild fires?

Lastly for now, What would you do to preserve the natural beauty of our country?

I yield

Federal land which is not specifically protected by Congress should be explored to further enhance the U.S. energy output. 

I would coordinate with the resources at my disposal, including the park service, to work with other agencies like FEMA, who would coordinate the federal response to a disaster like a wildfire, if need be. 

I think our park system highlights and preserves much of the natural beauty of the United States and does an excellent job at doing so.

2 hours ago, SWMissourian said:

*Hands off gavel*

Mr. Heller,

Thank you for coming here today, and congratulations on your nomination. I just have a couple questions here:

We hear many stories about abuse of power coming from the Bureau of Land Management and other parts of the Department of the Interior, such as the Fish and Wildlife Service. These abuses impact ordinary, every-day Americans just trying to live their lives. Do you support reform within the Department to make appeals easier and increase transparency and accountability?

Also, I want to ask you how you feel about the state of federal land in this nation. The federal government has vast amounts of land under its ownership. Nevada and Utah don't even control much of their own territory. My questions are: how do you feel about the amount of land the federal government controls, and would you support handing some federal land to the control of some state governments?

Thank you, Mr. Heller, once more for coming here to answer our questions.

*Takes back gavel*

Of course I support reform in the system to increase accountability in a service which the American people pay for through their taxes. 

As I said in my previous statement Senator, I think land should be identified and if not protected by Congress, then I think it is reasonable to delegate it to the states. Being from Nevada, I know all too well what happens if the federal government controls too much land.

Mr.Heller,

What is your view of Yucca Mountain and where would in your opinion a better location for the nuclear waste storage be?

Edited by Batman

3 minutes ago, Batman said:

Mr.Heller,

What is your view of Yucca Mountain and where would in your opinion a better location for the nuclear waste storage be?

I believe that would be a better questioned directed at the energy department Senator. However I would support a review into nuclear waste management and identifying areas which are safer and more cost effective. 

Thank you, Mr.Heller, 

Another question what is your view on eminent domain and when do you feel it's use is appropriate?

6 minutes ago, Batman said:

Thank you, Mr.Heller, 

Another question what is your view on eminent domain and when do you feel it's use is appropriate?

I think a distinction must be drawn between frivolous claims and important ones such as government infrastructure... like roads, railways and other things. 

7 minutes ago, Batman said:

Mr.Heller,

Would you constitute the Dakota Pipeline as frivolous or important?

I think it's important to enhance American energy potential. 

But Mr.Heller,

Do you think the Dakota pipeline was important enough to use eminent domain to build?

13 hours ago, Batman said:

But Mr.Heller,

Do you think the Dakota pipeline was important enough to use eminent domain to build?

If it was used in this case and I think it is important to enhance American energy potential then yes 

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

If it was used in this case and I think it is important to enhance American energy potential then yes 

Regardless of the spills?

1 hour ago, Calvin Ward said:

Regardless of the spills?

I think the results that we've seen from energy programs like Dakota ultimately must be viewed with their end results in mind. That being said, Senator, I do think we should take steps to reduce the potential of spills, and I will work with the Department of Energy to do that.

Mr. Heller, I want to turn for a second to a study by Dr. John Stansbury from the University of Nebraska. He says that’s TransCanada severely downplayed the possibility of spills by about 900%. In 2018, we had a major spill that was twice as big as initially thought.

How much does this research come into your decision making? Do the benefits outweigh the cost to our natural resources?

4 minutes ago, Calvin Ward said:

Mr. Heller, I want to turn for a second to a study by Dr. John Stansbury from the University of Nebraska. He says that’s TransCanada severely downplayed the possibility of spills by about 900%. In 2018, we had a major spill that was twice as big as initially thought.

How much does this research come into your decision making? Do the benefits outweigh the cost to our natural resources?

As I said, I think we should take all potential steps to reduce the possibility of spills. 

3 minutes ago, Calvin Ward said:

What are those ateps

I believe the provisions laid out in the Oil Pollution Act give the federal-private entity partnership some good tools to reduce potential for oil spills.