TedderVision
SWMissourian

Hearing: Jim Webb for Secretary of Defense

Sir,

I want to thank you for step up to the plate today and wanting to serve our great nation. As a Marine fighter pilot that flew F/A-18 on over 35 combat missions during my service, I want to say thank you for stepping up here today. No matter our political difference taking a stand for our nation should be praised.

So I want to ask you a couple questions today.

1.How will you  plan to maintain America's traditional security alliances given shifting political priorities in last few years ? In a number of areas,  Former President  Trump's attitudes towards American alliances and security guarantees puts US foreign policy in a bind. His distaste for what he called being "the policeman of the world and suggestions that America's military alliances are a financial burden on the country rather than a strategic asset, hinder our ability to work with allies on a lot of important interests.

2. do you plan to take a tougher line on Iran? If so where and how do you plan to achieve it?

Thank you for your time here today.

Edited by Jellybeans

Sir, 

What or who do you feel is the greatest threat to our country and what steps would you recommend to the President in adverting that threat? 

With the deficit problem that we are facing today, that many equate to the Trump tax cuts, and with the Defense budget being most extensive portion of U.S. spending. What recommendations would you make to the President to making our defense department more cost efficient? What would you do as the head of the defense department to help save the American tax dollars? 

Thank you for your time

21 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Sir,

I want to thank you for step up to the plate today and wanting to serve our great nation. As a Marine fighter pilot that flew F/A-18 on over 35 combat missions during my service, I want to say thank you for stepping up here today. No matter our political difference taking a stand for our nation should be praised.

So I want to ask you a couple questions today.

1.How will you  plan to maintain America's traditional security alliances given shifting political priorities in last few years ? In a number of areas,  Former President  Trump's attitudes towards American alliances and security guarantees puts US foreign policy in a bind. His distaste for what he called being "the policeman of the world and suggestions that America's military alliances are a financial burden on the country rather than a strategic asset, hinder our ability to work with allies on a lot of important interests.

2. do you plan to take a tougher line on Iran? If so where and how do you plan to achieve it?

Thank you for your time here today.

Thank you for the questions Senator.

1. There should be a dual use of the ability of the United States to influence foreign interests both in a soft and hard power context. I believe our traditional security alliance with NATO, for example, in the face of a growing China and emboldened Russia is important. I believe the deployment of US fleets around the globe also provide an important link in the US security alliance framework. Quite simply, Senator, President Trump had an issue with certain NATO members not meeting their obligations, not necessarily the principles which our alliances were founded on. In that respect, I don't think its unreasonable to say that others should pay their fair share. 

I would also contest the words of former President Trump as "US foreign policy in a bind". We need only look at the differences made to defense from the Carter to Reagan years and more recently the Clinton to Bush years. Our foreign policy is dynamic, we have the resources to make it so and I have every belief that President Vang will avail of both soft and hard power as President.

2. I believe that is more of a question for the State Department, Senator.

10 hours ago, Chris said:

Sir, 

What or who do you feel is the greatest threat to our country and what steps would you recommend to the President in adverting that threat? 

With the deficit problem that we are facing today, that many equate to the Trump tax cuts, and with the Defense budget being most extensive portion of U.S. spending. What recommendations would you make to the President to making our defense department more cost efficient? What would you do as the head of the defense department to help save the American tax dollars? 

Thank you for your time

Thank you for the questions Senator.

I'm not sure that the first question you ask should be discussed in an open hearing, Senator.

As to your second question, I do think the deficit is a big issue and really historically has been but I won't join you in attributing it to any particular cause. We can look at commonsense options to reducing the size and scope of the defense budget but that can't come at the expense, safety and preparedness of our men and women in uniform. In terms of what I can do personally as Secretary of Defense would be to highlight, prioritize and look at ways in which we can save while also efficiently putting tax dollars to use. 

Mr.Webb,

What is your opinion on the US troop involvement in Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, and would you advise the President to send troops into other areas of the world as well such as Egypt, Liberia, Venezuela, or Palestine?

Mr. Webb,

The former Trump Administration was known for its close ties to Saudi Arabia, famously selling them weapons even in the aftermath of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and the revelations of the involvement of the Crown Prince. How will you approach Saudi Arabia? 

36 minutes ago, Batman said:

Mr.Webb,

What is your opinion on the US troop involvement in Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, and would you advise the President to send troops into other areas of the world as well such as Egypt, Liberia, Venezuela, or Palestine?

I believe the troop presence there is necessary to maintain the current stated policy goals of what we have in those regions. I'm not sure whether your second question - in terms of its open endedness is appropriate for the context of this hearing Senator.

Allow me to rephrase the 2nd part Mr.Webb if I may would you support sending troops into other hostile regions as we did with Iraq Syrian and Afghanistan?

18 minutes ago, Rusty Russ said:

Mr. Webb,

The former Trump Administration was known for its close ties to Saudi Arabia, famously selling them weapons even in the aftermath of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and the revelations of the involvement of the Crown Prince. How will you approach Saudi Arabia? 

Senator,

I believe broadly it would be in our best interests not to approach the topic of Saudi Arabia too rashly. As we have saw with the foreign policy of the early 2000's, sometimes acting rash can lead to the wrong decision, which obviously we see the consequences of later. In this case we must look at our interests in the region, check for mutual goals and approach it with sensible dialogue and make decisions based on that. 

Just now, Batman said:

Allow me to rephrase the 2nd part Mr.Webb if I may would you support sending troops into other hostile regions as we did with Iraq Syrian and Afghanistan?

Well, the deployment of troops to these nations was done so in the context of fulfilling a policy goal at the time. The War on Terror, dealing with WMDs in Iraq. The deployment of troops in any region should be done so after careful consideration of the scenario and the need to fulfil a goal. If we can complete these goals with diplomacy, then I see no reason to recommend to the President that we ought to commit ground troops. 

Mr. Webb,

In recent years a topic that has come up often is civil right protections for all that serve in our military. What is your stance on non-discrimination policies when it comes to the military?

i yield 

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Mr. Webb,

In recent years a topic that has come up often is civil right protections for all that serve in our military. What is your stance on non-discrimination policies when it comes to the military?

i yield 

We must take care to enforce the legislation on the books regarding civil rights and apply it to the military. 

1 minute ago, Conrad said:

We must take care to enforce the legislation on the books regarding civil rights and apply it to the military. 

Do you believe those rights extend to the LGBT community that currently serve in our military? 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Do you believe those rights extend to the LGBT community that currently serve in our military? 

Its not about what I believe, Senator. 

Just now, Conrad said:

Its not about what I believe, Senator. 

As the head of our defense department your opinion is valued in this chamber and we care to know what your advise would be to the President and your department chiefs would be on this matter. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

As the head of our defense department your opinion is valued in this chamber and we care to know what your advise would be to the President and your department chiefs would be on this matter. 

I think the policy of the defense department has been very clearly on the inclusion of homosexuals in the military. Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed, which removed restrictions on openly gay, lesbian, and bisexual people serving in the military. I don't have any plans to change that.

Mr.Webb

To you have any plans to change the rules of engagement, and if you feel it appropriate you needn't give specific details as far as changes. 

Edited by Batman

8 minutes ago, Batman said:

Mr.Webb

To you have any plans to change the rules of engagement, and if you feel it appropriate you needn't give specific details as far as changes. 

No I don't.