TedderVision
Sign in to follow this  
Nubbie

A bill To prohibit Federal funding of Planned Parent Federation of America.

Mr. Smith, for himself and others, introduces

A BILL

To prohibit Federal funding of Planned Parent Federation of America.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. PROHIBITION.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no Federal funds may be made available to Planned Parenthood Federation of America, or to any of its affiliates.

PES: A bill to prohibit Federal funding of Planned Parent Federation of America.

Mr.Speaker,

Need I even say what is wrong with this bill? First it is raising a big todo about something the federal government only spends roughly 528 million dollars on which equates to I believe 1% or less of the budget. And 2nd the primary purpose of planned parenthood is women's healthcare including breast cancer research which is something I think the federal government ought to be funding.

I yield.

Mr. Speaker,

Why is it the federal government's job to fund a non profit organization which contributes to the killing of unborn children? Taxpayer money should not go to this, and if the gentleman feels strongly about this, I'm sure him and the thousands of Planned Parenthood supporters can come up with $528 million dollars to help them out.

I yield.

Mr.Speaker,

I'm happy to announce to the gentlemen opposite that the tax payers doesn't go to abortions and if he believes it does he is free to sue Planned Parenthood for misuse of federal funds.

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

The fact of the matter is that this organization promotes abortion, and while federal money may not be used for the actual procedure, it goes to promote such activities. We could instead use the money we use to fund Planned Parenthood to go towards Federally Qualified Health Centers, who don't provide abortion services, but still promote women's healthcare. I hope the gentleman can at least agree with me there.

I yield.

Mr.Speaker,

I believe we are in agreement the federal government should spend more money in improving women's health care, which is what centers like planned parenthood do, in addition to abortion. Also defunding an organization that does good for thousands of women just because they're is one part of it you don't like is a very dangerous precedent to set. 

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

We're not abolishing Planned Parenthood here, we're simply no longer going to give it tax money. It's a non profit, and it will survive through a groundswell of support. Please join me and let's fight for our Federally Qualified Health Centers. I'm willing to offer an amendment here.

Sec. 2 Funds.

All funds appropriated for Planned Parenthood of America shall be instead used for funding Federally Qualified Health Centers.

I hope the gentleman will join me in this.

I yield.

Mr.Speaker,

Taking the 528 million we spend on Planned Parenthood would barely cover the operational costs for the federally qualified health centers which is already being paid for by the Medicare and Medicaid programs. But if we want to have a real discussion about women's healthcare funding we'll be happy to do so. 

I yield. 

Mr. Speaker,

I think $528 million is a good start for the federally qualified health centers

I yield.

Democrats: 0 Aye, 220 Nay

Republicans: 215 Aye, 0 Nay

Final Vote Totals: 215 Aye, 220 Nay

Bill Fails