TedderVision
Shiggy

Pennypacker Town Hall

I am a new kind of politician. I am more conservative when it comes to liberties and small government staying out of our lives, but liberal in the sense that I also believe that the government should not be interfering in our own homes and bedrooms (when it comes to issues like marriage equality, marijuana and abortion). I am a libertarian who, like most of the American public, is sick of seeing these partisan pissing contests and wants some real change. I want to work with both parties in order to make REAL change happen instead of simply digging in for more political trench warfare. 

Lately I have seen more evidence of this on social media and print media from career politicians. I was elected because I am different. I was elected to the senate because, (even though I ran as a democrat), I also agreed with and worked with republicans and conservatives in order to do what is best for Nevada and this nation. 

1 minute ago, Troubadour said:

Mr. Pennypacker, what is your stance on consumer protection measures?

There are two remedies to bad and/or fraudulent business practices....

1) The legal system through civil lawsuits and the legal system in which fraud is already a crime

2) The economy and a free market which will (for the most part) reward people who are not frauds and crooks

Past that.....anything more is choking free enterprise with a nanny state government. 

Senator, what are your legislative goals this session, and do you think it’ll be easier or harder for you to meet those goals given the fact you attacked respected members of your own party, such as the House Majority Leader and Senator Crafts?

21 minutes ago, anatoly said:

Senator, what are your legislative goals this session, and do you think it’ll be easier or harder for you to meet those goals given the fact you attacked respected members of your own party, such as the House Majority Leader and Senator Crafts?

FIRST OF ALL,  I did NOT attack any member of the congress from either party. What I did is corrected factual mistakes in claims that he made in order to debate the idea. This is DISTINCTLY different than attacking anyone personally. Even though I disagree with the House Majority Leader, I still have deep respect for him and we agree on other issues, 

SECONDLY, I appeal to members of both parties because I am not a beholden sheep to one party's ideology. I will agree with democrats on some issues, and agree with republicans on others. I debate and correct members of BOTH parties when they are wrong or being dishonest to the American people. I have said, and will continue saying, that I am wiling to work with both parties on issues in order to come up with compromises. Even though I was elected as a democrat, I was elected by people who are interest in results, not party grandstanding for the sake or re-election. 

As for me legislative goals;

I support the free speech legislation already submitted. They are terrific bills that should be bipartisan seeing as we already have the 1st amendment in our constitution. 

I also co-sponsored and support legislation that will make is marijuana a state issue (as it should be under the 10th amendment). 

I am also worried about federal funding and our national debt. Our government is SEVERELY bloated. I will be working with members of both parties to reduce our deficit and cut spending. 

My last big issue is U.S interventionism in foreign wars. The constitution has been ignored by presidents since Truman in order to carry on undeclared wars. The American public has had enough of seeing friends, relatives, sons, daughters, siblings, husbands, and wives brought back in coffins because of unnecessary interventions by our presidents. I support our military men and women, don't get me wrong. I am simply saying that we should not be using our tax dollars and American lives in more middle-east quagmires. 

Edited by Shiggy

59 minutes ago, SWMissourian said:

Senator,

How do you feel about the recent Republican tax plan?

I generally like the tax cuts. I believe that tax cuts will help our economy to grow. I do however disagree with raising the gas tax. This not only will hurt businesses, but will also hurt the working class and middle class who commute to work. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for cutting government spending and reducing our deficit, but I disagree with doing it through the gas tax. There is plenty of pork that could be cut in order to fund highways without raising the gas tax. 

Edited by Shiggy

22 minutes ago, Shiggy said:

I generally like the tax cuts. I believe that tax cuts will help our economy to grow. I do however disagree with raising the gas tax. This not only will hurt businesses, but will also hurt the working class and middle class who commute to work. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for cutting government spending and reducing our deficit, but I disagree with doing it through the gas tax. There is plenty of pork that could be cut in order to fund highways without raising the gas tax. 

Senator, is there any compromise you’d be willing to make on the tax, though? Would you except modest tax increases for the highways, or do you consider it a dealbreaker? Or do you feel differently. Thank you for your time. 

15 minutes ago, SWMissourian said:

Senator, is there any compromise you’d be willing to make on the tax, though? Would you except modest tax increases for the highways, or do you consider it a dealbreaker? Or do you feel differently. Thank you for your time. 

Yes, I am willing to compromise. While I said that I do not like the gas tax by itself, I would be willing to vote for the bill with it. I said from the beginning that I want to create solutions by compromising and working with both parties. 

*lonely member of the press in an empty room*

With due respect sir, why should the press care here today what you have to say? Let's be real your a backbench senator with no real accomplishments that's not even on a committee?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Barclay Calhoun said:

Senator,

What's your position on 2nd Amendment Rights?

I am a strict constructionist when it comes to the constitution. The founding fathers were far from being idiots and debated every word....every comma in order to ensure peak clarity. When it comes to the 2nd amendment, the founding fathers are quite clear; the "right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The latest debate shows how unhinged the ant-2nd amendment argument is. You can read through me tweets. I live-tweeted the entire event and debunked every myth provided for the argument to take away your 2nd amendment right. 

5 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

*lonely member of the press in an empty room*

With due respect sir, why should the press care here today what you have to say? Let's be real your a backbench senator with no real accomplishments that's not even on a committee?

:POOC :P This is a town hall @Jellybeans not a press conference :P  :P :P 

IC: I am sure why the press are so interested in asking questions since this is a town hall to talk to my constituents. To be honest I could care less if the press pay any notice. I am here for my constituents.....to hear from them about the big issues and how I should represent them. That  is why I want to hear from them. 

honest question........Are you a constituent of mine? It could be that you are as well as being a journalist....I do not mean it as a condescension, I honestly am curious. 

Edited by Shiggy
  • Haha 1